Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Finally got a rep. who said, "no problem" right away.

We'll see if the code comes in.
    I have numerous times and have had no luck. My question is if I get it unlocked and Cingular comes out with a newer firmware update will it interfer with the firmware? My only reason to unlock would be to sell.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    I got tired of waiting for Cingular to get back to me with the unlock code so I just bought an unlocking service for $18 on ebay. Same process as the one on www.unlockcellular.com. You run some software, load the USB drivers, put Treo in test mode, and voila, it spits out the MEP code. Painless and quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    I got tired of waiting for Cingular to get back to me with the unlock code so I just bought an unlocking service for $18 on ebay.
    Wow....the CSR told me "up to a week" ..... I called after a few days and the system showed an e-mail to me 24 hours later but they used a dash instead of an underscore in the address so i never got it....so we did it over phone.
    Hi All -

I have read through this thread and wanted to see if anyone had some advice before I jump in on getting my Treo unlocked.

I have an Cingular account converted from AT&T wireless. I recently bought a Cingular Treo 650 on eBay. I put in my AT&T SIM, and get the "SIM card will not work with this phone" message.

I called Cingular, and the rep insisted that I would have to sign a new contract with them and get a new 64 bit SIM for the phone to work. Cingular has been trying to get me to abandon my AT&T contract for months - but I don't want to because the same plan features will cost me about $20 more per month if I switch. She said that I could have the phone unlocked by a third party, but I might lose some functionality when using a 32 bit card.

Is she for real, or are they just trying to pressure me into the contract with scare tactics? How would I go about getting the phone unlocked, without damaging the phone or spending money on unlocking software that might not work? Advice from anyone who has done this with an AT&T account would be especially appreciated.

thanks much

C.
    Quote Originally Posted by CL Hawkins
    Hi All -

I have read through this thread and wanted to see if anyone had some advice before I jump in on getting my Treo unlocked.

I have an Cingular account converted from AT&T wireless. I recently bought a Cingular Treo 650 on eBay. I put in my AT&T SIM, and get the "SIM card will not work with this phone" message.

I called Cingular, and the rep insisted that I would have to sign a new contract with them and get a new 64 bit SIM for the phone to work. Cingular has been trying to get me to abandon my AT&T contract for months - but I don't want to because the same plan features will cost me about $20 more per month if I switch. She said that I could have the phone unlocked by a third party, but I might lose some functionality when using a 32 bit card.

Is she for real, or are they just trying to pressure me into the contract with scare tactics? How would I go about getting the phone unlocked, without damaging the phone or spending money on unlocking software that might not work? Advice from anyone who has done this with an AT&T account would be especially appreciated.

thanks much

C.
    She is lieing.....I was on the AT&T side as well. Other then my phone being unlocked I lost NO functionality. Go to unlockcellular.com and use the promo code treocentral to get a $5 discount. Your phone will be unlocked in 5 minutes and you do not have to listen to the lieing Cingular reps and waste your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    LOL. I live in California, and I had to suffer through their torture before finally submitting a request to the "unlock department." If such law exists then Cingular is in violation.

Remember, Cingular reps will always invent stories. I've been seeing that for the last week. 5 answers through 5 calls to Cingular, all conflicting, and none was true.
    I'll vouch for that one. I went through hell with Cingular (I posted my story earlier "Treo 600, Cingular, and the BBB".

I went back and forth with them, but all you have to do is document, and if it looks shabby, file a complaint with the BBB, or contact Cingular's office of the president. They know me by first name right now.

bentFam
    I am a former AT&T customer. After numerous calls and runarounds, I finally sent a complaint to the FTC, FCC, BBB, and will send a more detailed complaint to the US Justice Dept, anti-trust division (with a copy to the president and CIO of cingular as well as Sens. Leahy and Spector, US Senate Judiciary Committee). I requested an investigation into this whole lock/unlock thing, esp. since AT&T merged with Singuliars. Now - was it worth it to them to **** me off and not give me the freaking code????
    Quote Originally Posted by cigar smoker
    I am a former AT&T customer. After numerous calls and runarounds, I finally sent a complaint to the FTC, FCC, BBB, and will send a more detailed complaint to the US Justice Dept, anti-trust division (with a copy to the president and CIO of cingular as well as Sens. Leahy and Spector, US Senate Judiciary Committee). I requested an investigation into this whole lock/unlock thing, esp. since AT&T merged with Singuliars. Now - was it worth it to them to **** me off and not give me the freaking code????
    see post 366 and save yourself a hassel. It works great.
    yeah, but just for once, it felt good to jam them. Having to formally answer an inquiry from the DOJ cost $$$.
    I am a new Treo owner who has been with Cingular for ages.

I called Cingular yesterday and a very helpful lady said that I would receive the code in about 5 days. Well it arrived today with the specific unlock code for my phone and these instructions:

Code:
    With Cingular Chip in phone and wireless mode on
    Press the green Phone button
    Enter  *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    Press Dial
    This was actually a little confusing for me as my phone starts up in the phone screen, so when I pressed the green Phone button as instructed, that took me to a list of recent phone calls. Basically you want to get into the phone application (program) any way you want to, and then enter "*#*# (unlock code) # (which will all appear in the upper right above the on-screen keypad) and then press the green phone (Dial) button.

It worked like a charm. I borrowed my sister-in-law's T-Mobile card and made a call with no problem.
    Well, my letter got their attention. They replaced my blue treo 600 with a new orange treo 650. Plus I got all the accessories replaced and today called CS and got the phone unlocked !!!!!
    I followed the procedure stated in this thread but without my specified numbers and each time I do it I get a message that reads: "The SIM Lock has been removed from the phone". I don't have any way of testing this but it looks like it worked with the following procedure;

1) *#*#12345678# then Green Button.
    Seems crazy that I would get this message if I didn't provide a specific number provided by Cingular.
  14. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Go to unlockcellular.com and use treocentral as the discount code. It costs $19.00 after the doscount and your phone will be unlocked in 5 minutes. I wold not waste my time with cingular. You are a Cingular Blue customer like me and they will not give you the code.
    I bought a Cingular 650 off ebay, supposedly unlocked but wasn't, couldn't use it with my Rogers SIM and couldn't get an unlock code from Cingular (after 1/2 an hour on the phone from Canada), since I wasn't a Cingular customer. Checked out some unlock services, but wasn't sure. I looked at unlockcellular.com - with the "treocentral" code it's $15, so I gave it a try, the email with username and password came while I was still reading the instructions. So now I have a phone that works great instead of an expensive paperweight. Thanks so much!!
    Need help???

Here is my problem: Have a Sprint account.. have a Cingular 650 with a sims card. My phone is locked, however, I do have the number to unlock it. Can I activate this phone on my sprint account and will it work?
    thanks so much for anyone who can help me!
    cbluize
    Cingular is GSM and Sprint is CDMA, so no, you will not be able to use it on Sprint. It can only be used on another GSM network (Cingular, T-Mobile, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    Cingular is GSM and Sprint is CDMA, so no, you will not be able to use it on Sprint. It can only be used on another GSM network (Cingular, T-Mobile, etc).
    ok, but I also have a gsm phone with sprint that I use for traveling and all they do is turn on my sims and use same number but a gsm phone. So, it still would not work with sprint? Sorry, just bought off of ebay...don't need a paperweight.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbluize View Post
    ok, but I also have a gsm phone with sprint that I use for traveling and all they do is turn on my sims and use same number but a gsm phone. So, it still would not work with sprint? Sorry, just bought off of ebay...don't need a paperweight.
    Thanks!
    Well, ok, thanks so much for the info. If anyone else can help, I would appreciate it. Really would like to get the phone to work since I do have it. But if there is no way possible to get it to work with sprint (which I understand about gsm) I guess my alternative would be to sell it.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    i finnaly got fed up w/ waiting for cingular to provide me with
    the subsidy unlock codes
    so i went to 650unlock.com (i have a mac)
    took me about 5 minutes!
    don't get me wrong, the reps tried to help me
    but after getting the wrong kind of code twice (PUK)
    i managed to talk to a tech person who knew what i needed
    he took my info and said he would submit my request and i would be e-mailed the codes...that was thursday....still no codes from cingular (its saturday as i write this )
    thursday after i got off the phone with the nice man
    i decided to take matters into my own hands
    got the codes for 20 bucks
    i am leaving tomorrow so its all good

thanks to this forum and particularly this thread
    kj
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by eyespan View Post
    I followed the procedure stated in this thread but without my specified numbers and each time I do it I get a message that reads: "The SIM Lock has been removed from the phone". I don't have any way of testing this but it looks like it worked with the following procedure;

1) *#*#12345678# then Green Button.
    Seems crazy that I would get this message if I didn't provide a specific number provided by Cingular.
    They probably display the same message whether or not you've entered the correct code to slow down automated unlock code guessing methods. No one will know whether or not a code is good until after they've swapped SIM cards and try to make a phone call.