Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    thanks! I was Cingular. I have a locked treo 650 branded Cingular. If I unlock my phone am I correct in assuming that would give me access to the blue towers in an area that reception is bad on orange, or are the orange and blue towers located together?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Nope, you should already be sharing towers. What unlocking the Treo will allow is the use of SIM cards from other vendors. Such as when I go to Ireland I chenge out my AT&T SIM card for my Meteor SIM card and voila, I don't have to pay those international roaming charges to call from my hotel down to the pub. :-)
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    ok thanks! I guess it won't do me any good to unlock unless I plan on going out of the country or switching to another gsm carrier. Thanks for the info!
    Just got my Unlock code... here's the tactic i used...
    "Hi, im not actually a Cingular Customer, i had won a [phone here] from Cingular a couple months ago, and was planning on using it during a trip to the UK with prepaid SIMs. Ive called previously, and a rep had told me that i would have to unlock the phone to do that, and it needs some kind of special code, thati would have to wait 5 to 7 or so days, and that i should get an email with instructions. It been a little over a week now but i havent gotten anything, so i was curious if you could look it up for me."

This has worked for me 3 times now. When you do not have a Cingular account, theres nothing to look up, but since THEY gave you the phone, you couldnt possible be trying to "pull a fast one on them" right? So they feebly attempt to look up a non-existant record of this transaction, and after about 20min on hold, they come back, apologize, and "regretfully inform you" that they will need to re-process the request.
    Give them the IMEI "again", and your email, and voila! 5 days and you've got a code.

This might be the solution for those who ARE cingular customers, but are having problems getting your code.

a few more tips - Im actually an agent for Cingular, but i dont have access to those kinds of things, so im in the same boat. BUT i do know this... everytime an existing Cingular member calls, notes are placed on your account. So if you call at 2pm, and they say no, your account notes say "Customer iquiry, subsidy unlock code, denied for unacceptable contract term" etc. etc. ... so when you call back at 4pm, and 6pm, and so on... eventually they'll be able to guess why your calling If you're having trouble, give the "anonymous person" approach a try and see what happens.

-x
    Quote Originally Posted by Silenthalo
    Just got my Unlock code... here's the tactic i used...
    "Hi, im not actually a Cingular Customer, i had won a [phone here] from Cingular a couple months ago, and was planning on using it during a trip to the UK with prepaid SIMs. Ive called previously, and a rep had told me that i would have to unlock the phone to do that, and it needs some kind of special code, thati would have to wait 5 to 7 or so days, and that i should get an email with instructions. It been a little over a week now but i havent gotten anything, so i was curious if you could look it up for me."

This has worked for me 3 times now. When you do not have a Cingular account, theres nothing to look up, but since THEY gave you the phone, you couldnt possible be trying to "pull a fast one on them" right? So they feebly attempt to look up a non-existant record of this transaction, and after about 20min on hold, they come back, apologize, and "regretfully inform you" that they will need to re-process the request.
    Give them the IMEI "again", and your email, and voila! 5 days and you've got a code.

This might be the solution for those who ARE cingular customers, but are having problems getting your code.

a few more tips - Im actually an agent for Cingular, but i dont have access to those kinds of things, so im in the same boat. BUT i do know this... everytime an existing Cingular member calls, notes are placed on your account. So if you call at 2pm, and they say no, your account notes say "Customer iquiry, subsidy unlock code, denied for unacceptable contract term" etc. etc. ... so when you call back at 4pm, and 6pm, and so on... eventually they'll be able to guess why your calling If you're having trouble, give the "anonymous person" approach a try and see what happens.

-x

OR......you can save your precious time and simply go to unlockcellular.com and unlock your phone in five minutes and not have to go through the hassle of dealing with Cingular.
    I supposedly unlocked my phone today. I went to the T-Mobile store and tried a sim card from a girl's phone there. The phone would not turn on. Do I have to be on the ROW software for a T-Mobile sim to work in my "unlocked" phone? I got no error message, the radio just would not turn on. My software version is in my sig.

Can anyone tell me if maybe my phone is not really unlocked? If it is locked, do you get some kind of error message with another sim card? I never got an error; the radio just wouldn't turn on. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    When you inserted the card were you at the phone app?? And how did you unlock the phone?

This is what I did: I purchased the code procedure from an online company that most people have used before. After I run their software it post the unlock codes for my phone. I then go to the phone app and insert my T-mobile sim card and it says that "this sim card will not work on this phone" .... I then input the code I got before and press enter and it says "this sim card is unlocked" and I am able to use the phone.

Hope this helps! I guess it depends on how you got your phone unlocked.
    Thanks for your response. I got my unlock code from Cingular. I did not get the "this sim card will not work on this phone" message. The girl's sim card was locked. I wonder if she was putting in her sim unlock code incorrectly? She was not used to using the Treo's keypad.

I think the phone app was up when she inserted the card.

Maybe it is unlocked after all since I didn't get that message. . . I will try another T-Mobile sim as soon as possible. Hopefully an unlocked one.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

O.k., here's thw whole story:

Just after Christmas, I called 611 and asked the girl for an unlock code. She never asked for any MEI number or anything. She said they would call me back within a week with the unlock code.

About two weeks later, I called 611 again and told them that they never called with the unlock code. They instantly gave me the code and I entered it. The message said the phone was unlocked.

So then I went to a T-Mobile store and tried an employee's sim card. No error message, but the radio wouldn't turn on.

I went back today and tried another (non-employee) sim card. It worked! I now have an unlocked Cingular phone.

So actually it was pretty painless. There is no need to pay $20 to get your Cingular phone unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    O.k., here's thw whole story:

Just after Christmas, I called 611 and asked the girl for an unlock code. She never asked for any MEI number or anything. She said they would call me back within a week with the unlock code.

About two weeks later, I called 611 again and told them that they never called with the unlock code. They instantly gave me the code and I entered it. The message said the phone was unlocked.

So then I went to a T-Mobile store and tried an employee's sim card. No error message, but the radio wouldn't turn on.

I went back today and tried another (non-employee) sim card. It worked! I now have an unlocked Cingular phone.

So actually it was pretty painless. There is no need to pay $20 to get your Cingular phone unlocked.
    Try the same scenario if you are a Cingular blue customer and it will be a "Radically" different experience. If you are Cingular Blue do not waste your time and go to an on-line source for your unlock code.
    i hardlocked my phone...PLEASE HELPPPPPP
    Here's a question for yas. Not traveling abroad in near future so no real need to unlock my Cingular 650. And when I started 1 year contract (few days left in), Cingular did tell me they would unlock the phone after it was on good standing for > 3 months. When I said I was a AT&Tingular mobile customer for 20+ years I was told well "no problem then".

However, with no real need I haven't pursued this. What I was wondering about is "Is this lock specific to the carrier or specific to the phone / account holder ?"

That is I have a Cingular family talk plan with 4 phones. If my wife wants to borrow my car with the GPS mount and the TomTom equipped Treo so she can take a ride out to vist her Aunt Tillie's new house 150 miles away, can we just swap SIMS ?
    JackNaylorPE:

You should be able to swap SIM with your wife without unlocking the phones. The locked phones should take any SIM as long as they are from the same carrier.

Hope that helps.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
    Thx Prio.....I figured that was the case.....justed wanted to get confirmation. Probably worth unlocking tho so I don't get caught in a rush later if I need it unlocked.
    I need some serious help...

I used the step provided by CODYWALKER to unlocook my phone and upgrade the firmware and it worked like a charm...
    Now my phone says... TREO650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware: 01.71

BUT!!!!!!!!

after the 3 mins (what i set it to) the power save feature is activated and the unit is off but i cant turn it back on....

AT ALL!!!!!

I have to remove the battery and then it does it all over again after the 3 mins or if I hit the red button......

What did I do....????????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just now I called Cingular and got the unlock code in 10mins. Rep said I'll receive email in 5 business days but while I was on the phone I received the unlock code by email. And unlocking is also piece of cake. I am waiting for my friend who has T-mobile to test out with his SIM card.
    I've CNB & 611 rep says no unlock code is avail from Cingular.

Anyone of CNB has unlock success to share?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    I've CNB & 611 rep says no unlock code is avail from Cingular.

Anyone of CNB has unlock success to share?
    Go to unlockcellular.com and use treocentral as the discount code. It costs $19.00 after the doscount and your phone will be unlocked in 5 minutes. I wold not waste my time with cingular. You are a Cingular Blue customer like me and they will not give you the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    i hardlocked my phone...PLEASE HELPPPPPP
    Use a service like www.unlockcellular.com if you're in this situation.
    $25 unless you can find a discount.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    Use a service like www.unlockcellular.com if you're in this situation.
    $25 unless you can find a discount.
    The word treocentral is the discount code