Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by chompion
    I just got a Treo650 as a replacement for my SE T637 under the insurance plan. I am an AT&T customer and I plugged my old blue AT&T sim in my Treo 650. I dialed out and called in. It worked. Does this mean my Treo is already unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    No.
    You're right. It was locked to AT&T even though it was Cingular-branded. How odd. I got it unlocked using unlockcellular. nice.
    I do not want to sound mean or anything but quit complaining about spending a long time unlocking your phones!! Be happy that Cingular will do it at all. Most cell phone companies will NEVER allow the phones to be unlocked. Cingular will at least after speaking with the correct department will unlock the phones. I have never heard of another company providing you with a code that will allow you to take they're phone and be able to use it on someone else's network. Be happy that Cingular does it at all. They could Lock the phones if they wanted to to only accept certain SIM cards from around the world.

Again I do not want this post to sound mean But I wish that other carriers would be more open with thier codes. Some companies won't even tell you what the codes are called. I.E. Subsidy lock code just called enter this X digit number.

Sorry if I sounded mean but we need to calm down and think of how much more lenient Cingular is than most other companies.
    Last edited by treotech21; 10/27/2005 at 12:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    OK, I tried to call Cingular to get the unlock code and got the basic run around, but very friendly and helpful. I then did the *#*#06# entry to confirm my imei number and got a pop up message that said, "The sim lock has been removed from the phone." Does this mean that I got an unlocked phone from Cingular?

Company provided the phone and we are international. Could we have an agreement with Cingular to provide unlocked phones as well?
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_D
    I then did the *#*#06# entry to confirm my imei number and got a pop up message that said, "The sim lock has been removed from the phone." Does this mean that I got an unlocked phone from Cingular?
    Your phone may very well be unlocked, but you'll want to try a non-Cingular SIM in your Treo to be sure.

I obtained an unlock code from Cingular a few months ago and received that same "unlock" message, however when I tried another carrier's SIM, my phone would rejected it, leading me to believe it was, in fact, not *unlocked*.

After an hour or so on the phone with Cingular they deemed my phone defective and setup an equipment exchange.

So, all that to say; you're going to want to try another carrier's SIM in your phone to verify
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Whats the possibility if someone knew the IMEI for 2 phones, received the unlock codes for both and compared...couldnt a sort of Unlock code generator be made using the info that was used to unlock both handsets?

*I'm no expert at code gens but would think this might be possible
    You would need more than two instances of the unlock codes in order to discover the hashing/encoding algorithm. You are on the right track though. Also, you probably want to keep your imei number close to the vest.
    Hello all,
    I am new here and would like to thank everyone for all of the info. I just bought a locked Cingular Treo and used the info from this thread to get it unlocked. I originally called 611 on my phone, and was told by the csr rep I was "qualified to recieve an unlock code" but I had to wait 90 days from the activation of the Treo. She was polit, but firm in stating there was no way around it. I, of course, do not take no for an answer, so I hung up and called the direct number. After explaining what the previous rep told me, the guy on the line gave me my code. I entered it, and it unlocked my phone. After receiving the unlock message, I put the sim card in from my T-Mobile Blackberry and the Treo did connect to TMobile. Thanks for all of the info, and I will continue to be a reader of Treocentral.com.
    I have ATT 650. I must not have the luck of you guys/gals. I called 611 many times & was told Cigular policy is not to provide code.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric
    I have ATT 650. I must not have the luck of you guys/gals. I called 611 many times & was told Cigular policy is not to provide code.
    I was like you....Cingular Blue customers are treated like scum by Cingular. go to unlockcellular.com and use the promo code treocentral for a $5 discount. Your phone will be unlocked in 5 minutes. Don't waste your time with lieing Cingular reps.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NJEsq
    Hello all,
    I am new here and would like to thank everyone for all of the info. I just bought a locked Cingular Treo and used the info from this thread to get it unlocked. I originally called 611 on my phone, and was told by the csr rep I was "qualified to recieve an unlock code" but I had to wait 90 days from the activation of the Treo. She was polit, but firm in stating there was no way around it. I, of course, do not take no for an answer, so I hung up and called the direct number. After explaining what the previous rep told me, the guy on the line gave me my code. I entered it, and it unlocked my phone. After receiving the unlock message, I put the sim card in from my T-Mobile Blackberry and the Treo did connect to TMobile. Thanks for all of the info, and I will continue to be a reader of Treocentral.com.
    When did you get your Treo? I was told the same thing that I have to wait 90 days after I purchased the phone before they can "unlock" it. I want to use unlockcellular.com but I'm running a Mac OS. I want to get it unlocked before the end of the month so I can use my Treo overseas.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    go to unlockcellular.com and use the promo code treocentral for a $5 discount. Your phone will be unlocked in 5 minutes.
    UnlockCellular.com worked GREAT. I spent a total of 4 hours on the phone with Cingular tech support in varying tiers, and to no avail, they were unable to provide me with an unlock code that worked. So I tried UnlockCellular.com, and to my surprise, after entering the unlock code they provided, my phone was REALLY unlocked.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    UnlockCellular.com worked GREAT. I spent a total of 4 hours on the phone with Cingular tech support in varying tiers, and to no avail, they were unable to provide me with an unlock code that worked. So I tried UnlockCellular.com, and to my surprise, after entering the unlock code they provided, my phone was REALLY unlocked.
    I checked that site out. I'm considering it except it needs a software to be dowloaded on Windows. I'm running a Mac so it might not be compatible. Any suggestions on what I can do? I don't want to screw up my phone if I miss a step
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    Quote Originally Posted by 500mL
    When did you get your Treo? I was told the same thing that I have to wait 90 days after I purchased the phone before they can "unlock" it. I want to use unlockcellular.com but I'm running a Mac OS. I want to get it unlocked before the end of the month so I can use my Treo overseas.

I bought my Treo locked at a Cingular store. I have been deeling with them for many years and they did not even question me when I said I wanted the MediaNet $19.99 plan. Three days later, I called Cingular directly to ask for the unlock code. The initial csr rep said I qualified but had to wait the 90 days. As an attorney, I rarely take no for an answer, and know that many times its HOW you ask, not WHAT you ask. I politely thanked the girl and promptly called again. This time I got a different csr rep and explained that I wanted the unlock code, that I qualified except for the 90 day issue, and that I thought it was unreasonable to expect a long time Cingular customer to have to call back in 90 days. He agreed and gave me the code.
    i guess cingular no longer does this because i've called atleast 20x in the past month, all of them have said the same thing, we do not provide subsidy unlocks.. only sim-lock unlock codes
    Quote Originally Posted by NJEsq
    I bought my Treo locked at a Cingular store. I have been deeling with them for many years and they did not even question me when I said I wanted the MediaNet $19.99 plan. Three days later, I called Cingular directly to ask for the unlock code. The initial csr rep said I qualified but had to wait the 90 days. As an attorney, I rarely take no for an answer, and know that many times its HOW you ask, not WHAT you ask. I politely thanked the girl and promptly called again. This time I got a different csr rep and explained that I wanted the unlock code, that I qualified except for the 90 day issue, and that I thought it was unreasonable to expect a long time Cingular customer to have to call back in 90 days. He agreed and gave me the code.

If you are Cingular orange...you can get the code by asking. If you are Cingular blue, no matter how nice or nasty you are you will not get the code form them. Go to unlockcellular.com and do not waste your valuable time with Cingular.
    Sonaof$!#@% - So here I am in Central America with a Cing. branded phone. I drove down from Cali to El Salvador. I have worldwide roaming so I can make and receive calls with my 415 number. I was even getting GPRS roaming in Mexico so I had web access. I tried a SIM in Mexico and nope, did not work. I had recently updated firmware/software from 1.15 to 1.17 so I thought that I needed to unlock again. So I did and still the same thing. From an earlier post it seems like it could be hardware related!?! Well I get "The SIM lock has been removed from the phone" message but still did not work. I have had my phone since Febuary and could have sworn that I did try it with a T-Mob sim!?!

El Salvador has DigiCel wich is full GPRS and I would have had a local number and internet service!!!!

Chock another one to Cingular bs!

MM
    Cingular Treo 650 (Unlocked?!?)
    Firmware 01.51 Software Treo650-1.17-CNG H/W A
    Treo Wireless Headset - Apple Ti15 OSX 10.3.9
    Palm VII -> Motorola StarTAC -> Treo 600
    I've read a few times that the code that Cingular gives out is a SIM unlock, NOT a Subsidy unlock. So they are giving you an "unlock" code which in fact says your SIM has been unlocked.

As previously stated, most companies don't offer it period. Yeah it sucks if you're already out of the country and you realize the subisidy lock is still in place, but you should test it before you leave really.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Also, you get the SIM unlocked message even if you enter a wrong code. As soon as I did my unlock, I grabbed a friends card to try in my my newly unlocked treo to verify it did indeed work.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    How do you know if you are on cingular orange or cingular blue? Is there anyway to tell by looking at something on the phone?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    If you used to be an AT&T Customer before the merger, you are Blue. If you signed on with Cingular, you are Orange.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx