Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    I Called Cingular at the number below and had my phone unlocked in 5 minutes not hassle at all. I tried a co-workers T-Mobile SIM card in my 650 and the service registered as T-MOBILE and it accepting incoming calls!!!!!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    called 1-866-490-2666, asked for phone to be unlocked so I could use a Mexican SIM card (I live on the US/Mexico border so I really do need this), gave my IMEI number, got unlock code within a minute or two. ZERO HASSLE! Now I'm selling a Cingular Branded Unlocked Treo 650.
    I recently bought at 650 form cingular and paid a service to get the unlock code. two questions:
    1) other than try another provider sim in the phone is there a way to validate that it is for sure unlocked.

2) I want to upgrade the firmware. is there any reason I could not upgrade the FW using the unlocked GSM FW on the palm website? If not, how best to proceed
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    The first rep couldnt get it for me and even transfered me to tech support, who said all this crap about waiting 90 days and not being able to allow international roaming.

I called right back to 1-866-490-2666 and got a very sweet rep by the name of Lucy who said all customer reps have access to an unlock code system in their computer but she asked me did I get my Treo 650 under a contract at a disount or did I pay full price? I said I paid full price, and she entered my Imei number and gave me an unlock code. I tried it with my old T-mobile Sim card even though I am on cingular and it worked great!

KEEP CALLING ALL CUSTOMER REPS CAN ACCESS THE SYSTEM AND PULL IT UP. IT DOES NOT TAKE DAYS, JUST A REP WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO!!!!!

The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    I want to thank the group for helping with the unlock process. I paid full price at a Cingular store as I was an ATT customer and destroyed my Noika 6800. The unlock code is the first 8 digits of the ESN number on my sales reciept.

Being with Cingular for only a week I have had my fill with tech support.

Thanks everyone for helping me not go through the BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rskillic
    I recently bought at 650 form cingular and paid a service to get the unlock code. two questions:
    1) other than try another provider sim in the phone is there a way to validate that it is for sure unlocked.

2) I want to upgrade the firmware. is there any reason I could not upgrade the FW using the unlocked GSM FW on the palm website? If not, how best to proceed
    i would love to find an answer to this question as well. i'm in the same boat.

thanks
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Let's put to rest the notion that Blue NEVER gives out unlock codes.

As I posted earlier, I've got a significant corporate spend with Cingular and they agreed with me that losing four phones wasn't so bad. After about of month of continuous badgering on my part, Cingular just sent me unlock codes for my Cingular (Blue) Treo 650's.

I want to thank all of those who have posted here because it really did help when I started my conversation with Cingular by stating that I have read of other instances where unlock codes WERE coughed up from the Blue side.

Best of luck to you all.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    OK, here's the latest...called the Cingular rep (866.287.6131) and said I was to be out of the country for awhile and needed the subsidy unlock code. He asked for my IMEA number and asked how long I'd had Cingular service. He gave me the unlock code on the phone without a problem. He even helped through the process of unlocking the phone. To test the unlock, I removed my SIM card and replaced it with a friends' T-Mobile SIM and it worked perfectly.
    To add my 2 cents, I bought a Cingular locked Treo 650 from someone in the Marketplace, and used http://www.hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm to unlock it just because I didn't want to deal with the hassle since I use T-Mobile. Paypal'd them $30, had the instructions to get the codes within half an hour. Went through the procedure on my PC and now I have an unlocked Treo on T-Mobile with Mobile Web ($5.99) plan for internet, email, and AvantGo. Hope this helps people using T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i tried calling like over 10 times today and couldn't get one of them to give me the code over the phone. i just bought a cingular treo 650 off ebay and i have t-mobile service. i didn't know it was so hard just to get the damn code to unlock it. i used my gf's cingular account to try to get the code and everyone i talked to (at least 10) said that there is no way i can get the code right away. I said that i am leaving the country tomorrow night and woudl like to use the phone overseas in asia. they said they would have to fill out a form and it will take 5-9 days or something liek that. i guess i'll try again tomorrow. i kept calling the 866-490-2666 number. maybe i'll try a different number tomorrow.
    Try http://www.unlockcellular.com/
    $24.95 to unlock the treo. It has been reported successful in other threads here. If you type TREOCENTRAL in the coupon fied when checking out, you'll get $5 off. It beats having to deal with Cingular and it works. Great service for $20.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ended up using www.unlockcellular.com and it was easier than i thought. anybody that needs to unlock their phone and cingular is giving them a hard time then go i would suggest spending $20 and going through www.unlockcellular.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rskillic

Both of these questions have been asked and answered ad nauseam.

1. Another SIM is the only way to test to see if the subsidy lock has been removed. Ask yourself this: With all of the differing tales of success and failure in this forum, will you believe it's actually removed until you test it for yourself with another non-Cingular SIM?

2. Firmware, ROW or branded, will not affect your subsidy lock or lack thereof.
    I called the california support # that was listed as a good one to call and got 'this number is no longer in service'.

So i called 866-490-2666 and they were able to help. They transferred me to a different department to talk to a guy named Chris. He submitted the request and i should get an email soon.
    Tell me it wasn't this easy...

I have a Cingular 650 through the "Blue" side (AT&T Business Wireless). I called and told the rep I wanted my unlock code. He started to say they don't have them (which I already knew). I cut him off, told him their policy (owned more than 90 days, account in good standing), that they will then contact PalmOne and get back to me via email in 3 to 5 business days. He said quote "please hold while I call PalmOne" (gave me images of using the Bat-phone). I sat on hold for about 3 minutes. He came back and gave me the unlock code right then and there. I guess it pays to have a corporate account.

Interestingly, he did ask why I wanted it. I explained I was going to travel internationally and wanted to use pre-paid SIMs so I didn't get raped on roaming fees. I asked him if this matters and he said quote "yes, we don't give unlock codes to people that want to switch carriers, only to users that want to use prepaid SIMs". Hmmm...
    That's how easy it was for me.
    I unlocked my phone successfully through Cingular. Told them I was going oversease and needed an overseas foreign SIM service. It took several calls, all with different answers and different procedures. The last one worked. My suggestion: keep calling CSR's until you find one that gives you the answer that works. Also be sure to ask for a CSR that is networking knowlegable; they have a seperate department for that.

Good luck. [PS, Anyone who can wlak me through getting XP working with DUN and Bluetooth, drop me a note... I'm struggling with that one..!]
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1107
    KEEP CALLING ALL CUSTOMER REPS CAN ACCESS THE SYSTEM AND PULL IT UP. IT DOES NOT TAKE DAYS, JUST A REP WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO!!!!!
    This is not true... most reps know what to do, its called policy and procedures. The rep you spoke with did not know what to do which is how you where able to get the code. If you are lucky enough to find a rep that did not follow policy at least do them a favor by not posting there name on here. For anyone else that needs a unlock code for a treo and meets cingular's requirements Tech support is the department that handles those requests.... not Data Support.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroxeno
    This is not true... most reps know what to do, its called policy and procedures. The rep you spoke with did not know what to do which is how you where able to get the code. If you are lucky enough to find a rep that did not follow policy at least do them a favor by not posting there name on here. For anyone else that needs a unlock code for a treo and meets cingular's requirements Tech support is the department that handles those requests.... not Data Support.
    I got my former ATT 650 unlocked yesterday. It took a couple of hours on the phone. My advice is not to bother trying to deal with the reps from the Blue side. They will repeat until they're blue in the face that they do not unlock phones. It is their policy and there's really no getting around it. After the first hour, I would just hang up if the Cingular Orange rep transfered me to the Blue side. It would save me 5-10 minutes of being told what their policy is no matter what angle I approached it from.

The trick is to get the Orange rep to put you on hold while they call the Blue side and verify your account rather than just transfering you over. They can then come back and give you the unlock code. As mentioned above, this is against Cingular policy, so the rep is going out of their way to help you out. My rep even told me that it was my lucky day and went above and beyond to help me with other questions that I had about the Treo. Some reps are just more committed to helping customers any way they can while most simply follow procedure. Procedure tells them that if you're a Blue customer, you are transfered to Blue Customer Service where you won't get your phone unlocked no matter how hard you try.

Now, I wish I had done this before my recent 3 month trip to Brazil where my old Ericsson T39 died on me and I was forced to buy a cheap nokia (locked!) Meanwhile my treo became basically an expensive travel alarm clock. Oh well, I'm all set for next time.
    I think their policy on unlocking phones is terrible. I decided to pay the $30 and unlock mine from an online service. I just don't see how people spend hours on the phone trying to get the unlock codes. If I have to spend more then an hour of my time trying to get the unlock codes then I've already lost money.
    I looked into one online unlock service recommended in one of the threads and it was just too complicated and involved downloading some software to install on the PC that I don't have (I have a mac.) For me it was easier to get back on the phone with Cingular. I did it while watching a somewhat dull baseball game and sipping a couple of beers, so not much time or money lost.