Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    This is what scares me, is the fact that Cingular Did Not take my IMEI#. I asked several times if they needed it, and they just said it was in their system already. However..this is my Third t650 from Cingular. I may go to TMo and ask to use one of their SIMS in my phone for a signal test, just to see if it is truly unlocked.

I did see the warning about the 5 try's and you phone is permaCing. Now that is scary...
    Quote Originally Posted by guncollector
    Called 866-490-2666 today. The rep who answered was very nice, but misinformed, advising they do not provide unlock codes.

I politely corrected her, advising it is done on a routine basis by Cingular. I, again, politely re-requested she investigate the proper procedure and advised that she'll require my IMEI # in order to obtain an 8-digit unlock code. She, then put me on hold, called over to "Tech Support", and within about 5 minutes was back on the phone with an 8-digit unlock code.

I put in the following sequence *#*#<8-digit unlock code>#, then dial-key, and voila...received a window message on the Treo 650 of something like "SIM Unlocked".

I just tried a Swisscom GSM SIM in my Treo 650 and it worked. Immediately received my SMS's from Switzerland. Seems, with my Swisscom #, I am roaming on Cingular in the SF/Bay Area. The Network status flashes back and forth between "Cingular" and "Roaming".

Advice to all: Be patient, be nice, but be firm and resolute. If you have any weight as a longtime AT&T or Cingular customer, use that to your advantage.

Hope that helps!

Thanks to all. I had a similar positive experience with Cingular Tech Support (at the number mentioned in the quote). I had my unlock code within 5-8 minutes, with no hassles! The rep was nice enough to wait until the unlock message showed up. I then immediately tried it with a T-Mobile SIM card, and everything worked great. Again, thank you to all of you who contributed to this thread!
    I sent my Treo 650 to http://www.boardwalkcommunications.c...oducts_id=1302
    and they unlocked it and have sent it back and i will prob get it in tomorrow's mail. The main reason I want it unlocked is because I still have a contract with TMobile, and don't want to cancel the account and have to pay the cancellation fees. This place was also cheaper than any other Treo unlocker. THe cellular guy at the mall here wanted $60.

edit: the 1866-287-6131 # is not working, and the 1866cingular people won't help at all so this place turned out to be great
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    called 1-866-490-2666, asked for phone to be unlocked so I could use a Mexican SIM card (I live on the US/Mexico border so I really do need this), gave my IMEI number, got unlock code within a minute or two. ZERO HASSLE! Now I'm selling a Cingular Branded Unlocked Treo 650.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    My story is similar to Fry420. 1st phone got unlocked by Cingular. Replacement phone has been a big problem trying to get it unlocked. Cingular has given me multiple codes that do not work. I was worried about the 5 strikes and your out claim. I am on the phone now and planning to get a replacement phone from the PalmOne store.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I used http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm, price - 33$

IMEI: 354427000652138

unlock code:
    *#*#73036229#
    *#*#55271474#
    *#*#82368568#
    *#*#91580331#
    *#*#83989824#

Why 5?
    Last edited by Step; 07/06/2005 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Step
    I used http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm, price - 33$
    IMEI: 354427000652138
    unlock code:
    *#*#73036229#
    *#*#55271474#
    *#*#82368568#
    *#*#91580331#
    *#*#83989824#
    Why 5?
    I just finished reading this entire thread. I haven't tried to get my unlock yet, but this looks suspicious. You only have 5 tries to get it right, and on each try, the phone will give you a bogus "unlocked" message. You need a non-Cing sim to try it out. I would e-mail them back and ask which one is the subsidy unlock code.
    I've read through this whole thread (takes awhile, huh?) and have hit a temporary brickwall with a possible work around.

I'm the corporate manager for LOTS of Cingular/AT&T phones (mostly Treos). I bought four Treo 650's (billed to the AT&T side of Cingular due to existing corporate contract) for four of my Ex-Pat users living in Hong Kong. I wanted to get them unlocked in order to get local SIMs. Despite my account status (I send them thousands each month), the various AT&T-side people explained that under NO circumstances would they give up unlock codes. They each suggested I go out to the Internet to get someone to do the work for me.

However, I DID get a call back from the International folks with a potential work-around. The suggestion was to migrate the billing from the Blue (AT&T) side to Orange (Cingular). I've just spoken with my corporate sales rep and we're going to give this a shot.

I'll let you know if this works.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I just called Cingular and they said that they wouldn't do it until I had had the account for 90 days. I explained that I had previously been an AT&T customer for 2 years, but that didn't seem to matter.

Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I tried to give them the "I could return the phone, I haven't had it for 30 days yet" bit, but they just said that is exactly why they don't let you unlock it before 90 days.

The main thing is that I'm tired of waiting for Cingular to release the updated firmware (and my phone is running 1.04, which it came with).
    zadillo, I would call back until I got a rep to do it. I just got my code after a week and half of waiting and a call back.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Called Cingular yesterday for unlock code on my 650,rep said it was not something they could give me. I insisted that their own Cingular forum showed that it could . After checking with her boss, she said to give her my IMEI# and today I got an email with the unlock code. Entered the code and unlocked the phone. I immediately tried a Tmobile sim that I had and it came up on the Tmo network Voila!. I now have an unlocked 650. Can I do the 1.30 upgrade Now????
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks dsrlb. Do you think there's any way though around the "must be a customer for 3 months" requirement they have? They seemed willing to acknowledge that they could give me the subsidy unlock code, but only after being a Cingular customer for 3 months. It didn't seem to matter to them that I had been with AT&T for 2 years prior. They also didn't seem to care when I said that it was important to be able to get it done, and when I threatened to return it and cancel my contract (since I haven't been a Cingular customer yet for 30 days)....... they basically just said "That's why we can't give you the unlock code, because you could cancel now.".
    I just received my unlock code but have not had the opportunity to try a different SIM yet. I received the code via email (see below). My email did mention the 5 try perma-lock issue. I also had to get to a level 2 tech to get the code. At first, she seemed confident that she should not provide code, but after checking learned that the 90-day requirement was valid. DH

Before starting the process we have to give you warning. You have 5 tries, for the life of the phone, to enter this code. If you go beyond the 5 tries your phone will be permanently locked to Cingular network.

If you get code error twice I do suggest you call us before going any further. From within the US 18003310500 outside the US call 2093597626.

Treo 650

With Cingular Chip in phone

1. Press the green Phone button

2. Enter *#*# XXXXXXXX#

3. Press Dial

Your phone should now be unlocked.

Please do not reply to this email it is used for outgoing only.
    Just tell them that you are going to traveling in Europe for a while, and that you don't want to pay their exorbitant roaming fees.
    The 5 tries and your out claim is bogus. I tried at least 20 times to unlock my Treo with codes supplied by Cingular. I finally gave up and paid the online service $35 and my phone was unlocked within 30 minutes.

I got my code from hostingsupercenter.com
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I used http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm, Now costs 30$

IMEI: 354427000652138 unlock code: 73036229 - OK!

And where these to put?

*#*#55271474#
    *#*#82368568#
    *#*#91580331#
    *#*#83989824#
    Siemens SL45i ->Treo 650 (Cingular / unlocked / FW1.71/SW1.20ROW)
    I couldn't take it any longer and ran down and bought a Treo 650 from the Cingular store to replace my T-Mobile Treo 600. I bought it without a plan, went home, and followed the advice here to get it unlocked. Called Cingular and within 5 minutes - Unlocked and I am a happy camper.

2 weeks later I got up the nerve to try the Unlocked GSM updater as profiled in another thread. Everything went according to plan and I successfully upgraded but the phone speaker and mic quit. I have found a couple of threads where people have experienced the same issue. It acted as if a handsfree kit was plugged in. Anyway, called P1, they said it was a hardware issue and since it was within 30 days, take it back to Cingular for exchange. Took it in, they handed me a new one and I was off. The trouble is, this was of course a locked Treo.

I called the same number and unfortunately got a different rep. Over the course of the next hour, I was passed around to 4 different people both on ATT and Cingular side (why, nobody knows) and they all repeated how this was simply impossible. I tried again later - same result. Over an hour on the phone and no solution. In the 2 calls, I talked to more than 8 people and every one spent 100% of their effort on trying to figure out how not to help me. It would have taken no time at all to just solve the problem but they have no interest in doing that.

I called again later that evening hoping to catch a different crew and Bam! -unlocked in 3 minutes. The moral of the story is to just keep trying until you get to the 1 in 10 customer service reps that is willing to provide customer service. I probably would not stay on the phone for more than 10 minutes either. If they are unwilling to help in that time, hang up and try another.
    so listen to this one....

one day a dreadlocked man named delyon (me) tried to get an unlock code from the wicked witch of the east....

he tried the number listed above 866-490-2666 only to be told he needed to speak to a tech agent. after several moments on hold he spoke to an agent who told him there was nothing he could do except send in a request which would take 24 hours, but since this dread is travelling tomorrow morning at 7, this would not suffice....

so he asked to speak to another rep, and waited some more........la la, la la la, la, lala la la la (think smurfs).....after 15mins on hold (yes he waited that long) he spoke to the actual witch who told him that she would have to place a request and it would take 10 bus days, no exception.....

he kindly told her see ya and called back the same number. this time a nice sweet southern miss told him of course she could help, and placed him in touch with tech support upon which he spoke to mr this is my job and im gonna do it by the book. Mr book informed him of all the wonderful hoops and hurdles he has to go thru to get this done, like contact palm, his superior, mother thersa and yoda himself in order for this to happen.....

well this dread asked for a manager.....10 mins later (and no manager) Mr. book sounded like he broke a sweat running the mile to get a response....and much more politely informed that the hoops and hurdles werent a figment of his imagination, and that yoda was currently on hold on another call so i would have to submit a form and pray for the force to send me an email before the am.

after telling mr book goodbye, this dread called back the same number, where another sweet southern miss responded and said, sir ill be glad to submit your request, asked for my number, my imei number, and in about 1 min gave me the unlock code. Then asked if i wanted her to walk me thru the procedure, which i did, and we were cooking with gasolina. I promptly thanked her and proceded to put in my foreign sim which worked like a charm....

moral of the story....if yoda cant help you....just head to the south...they have all the southern misses ready and willing...glad i live near the equator....
    Quote Originally Posted by Step
    I used http://hostingsupercenter.com/650.htm, Now costs 30$

IMEI: 354427000652138 unlock code: 73036229 - OK!

And where these to put?

*#*#55271474#
    *#*#82368568#
    *#*#91580331#
    *#*#83989824#
    I used the same service, if you read the E-mail sent carefully, it reads
    "10. Note the FIRST code *#*#8digitcode# as it is shown on the page --"

I also asked and they told me that the rest of the numbers is just assembling code. So the first one is the right one. I cant wait to try it.

Later
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have an att sim card works on an unbranded and locked treo 650. I need to travel to overseas soon so I call cingular for the unlock code yesterday and they gave to me right the way. After typed in*#*#8 digit code # then dial key, my screen shows "sim lock has now been removed". I am not sure is that means my 650 unlocked so I borrowed an T-mobile sim card to try, but screen shows " this phone can not be used with this sim card".

Can someone tell me what did I missing ? I got the 8 digits unlock code from cingular but it only unlocked sim card ???? What do I need to do to really unlock the 650. Thanks.