Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    I pay Cingular $0.99/min (including long distance charges) to call the US from Germany. I have something called Discounted International Roaming ($5.99/month) for that. I also have Enhanced Discounted International Dialing ($3.99/month) that lets me call Germany from the US for $0.07/min. If you travel and call internationally a lot, these might be worth the monthly charge.
    Just unlocked my Cingular Treo 650 this morning! Tested with a tmobile sim and everything works! Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by noahs
    Cingular provided me with the subsidy unlock code via email. It works! I tried another SIM card in the phone today. Here are the instructions they provided me. I would provide the code, but it would be useless to all of you as each device has a unique unlock code based on the phone's IMEI.

To unlock Treo 650
    Press the green Phone button
    Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    Press Dial

After 10 failed attempts to unlock the Treo, the Treo's power must be recycled to try again.
    I called Cingular and within 2 minutes I was given an unlock code. I simply asked, they never asked why.

He gave me 2 codes, I dont know why. He told me to try the first and if it didnt work he said I have 2 codes.

I entered the first code in my phone using the instructions above and it replied: "SIM unlocked"

So this brings up two questions:

1. What do I do with the second code?

2. My SIM is unlocked, but my phone still has "CNG" in the software version.
    Can I now upgrade to the new (1.28) unlocked software directly?
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfx
    1. What do I do with the second code?

2. My SIM is unlocked, but my phone still has "CNG" in the software version.
    Can I now upgrade to the new (1.28) unlocked software directly?
    1. First, you should verify that your phone is in fact unlocked, by trying another carrier's SIM in it. The Treo will issue that same "successful unlock" message even if the code was incorrect! If it's still locked, try the second code. If that still doesn't work, call Cingular again - do not keep trying invalid codes.

2. No. The updater doesn't give a damn if your phone is locked, unlocked, purple, or green - the only thing it looks for is the carrier code in the existing software version. If that says CNG, then an official ROW updater will refuse to touch it (and probably vice versa, though that has yet to be seen.)
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    should a Nextel SIM work?
    Nextel has GSM now?!? That's news to me, but any non-Cingular GSM SIM will serve the purpose.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Nextel does not have GSM, though their phones do use a SIM card of sorts. Their cards won't serve to prove / disprove whether your phone has been unlocked.

Dunc
    Well, true to their word, Cingular just emailed me with an unlock code! Unfortunately, it's not the code for my phone so I'm still locked (and on hold with customer service right now). Since it's not my IMEI number I have no problem posting what they sent. Maybe it'll help someone come up with a means of generating these codes and they'll give back.

IMEI: 355605005009227, unlock code: 34601798

Dunc
    I received two 8 digit unlock codes from Cingular several days ago. I tried the first and the phone responded "Your SIM is now unlocked". ...happy camper!

fast forward to today...I stop at local T-Mobile store and borrowed a SIM card. NO GO, phone is still locked. I tried both codes.

I called Cingular again and spoke to a very nice woman who understood what a "unlock code" is....she says the two 8 digit #'s I received were PUK codes. I told her I thought those were 4 digit codes, she replied yes but they also have 8 digit codes which unlock 4 digit codes that are lost.

She was very confident that Cingular could NOT provide an unlock code. She told me there were web sites I could go for this service, or even most local Cingular stores had someone "in the back" who could unlock the phone for me.
    We actually purchased 5 of the Cingular branded Treo 650 handsets, and managed to unlock 3 of them with the codes I got from calling customer support about 10 times for a total of over 3 hours on the phone. Everytime I stated my case about using the phone overseas in HK with a prepaid SIM in that region. The CSR responded with an unlock code, but 2 of them didn't work. I tried the link posted earlier for http://www.unlocktreo.com but I didn't want to mail my phones off to Canada.

I eventually sent my phones off to a http://www.globalmob.com and got them back 3 days later unlocked and fully working with a T-Mobile SIM card. I've used this place before for my Motorola and Sony Ericsson phones. They have done a decent job previously, so I used them again. Now the bad news.. they charged me $70 per PHONE! I lost all patience with Cingular Customer Support so I went this route. A friend of mine found a place in Sherman Oaks, CA that can unlock the Treo 650 for $50. He had to meet the fella at a corner Starbucks, but his phone was unlocked perfectly.

Will updating my firmware relock my phone? I would hate to go thru this process over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane1
    Will updating my firmware relock my phone? I would hate to go thru this process over again.
    No. Firmware version and Subsidy Lock are completely separate and unrelated.

This really should be in a FAQ somewhere!
    jetkins,

Thanks. I didn't think the firmware would relock the phone, but I thought I should ask just to be on the safe side.

If everyone posted their IMEI number and the unlock code we received from Cingular.. do you think someone here would be able to figure out the proper unlocking algorithm?
    And it is possible to make so?

1. To change IMEI on 355605005009227
    2. To enter the unlock code 34601798
    3. To cange IMEI on old.

Who has IMEIChanger for Treo 650?
    Last edited by Step; 06/23/2005 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Step
    And it is possible to make so?

1. To change IMEI on 355605005009227
    2. To enter the unlock code 34601798
    3. To cange IMEI on old.

Who has IMEIChanger for Treo 650?
    When I received a couple of incorrect unlock codes from Cingular, I asked if there was a way to change the IMEI on the Treo to that of my unlocked phones.. enter in the proper code, and change it back. The rep told me that there is no way to do such a thing, and that it would be illegal to do so and a federal offense, if caught. My suggestion to your inquiry is to keep calling Cingular for the proper unlock code, or pay someone to unlock it for you.

Good luck..
    Quote Originally Posted by vnguyenlong
    Has anyone tried emailing simunlockcode@cingular.com (and successfully been given the unlock codes) recently?

"For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset."

Boo!

Let's see if 866-490-2666 works...
    I just called that 866-490-2666 number. I am Cingular Blue so the guy said he couldn't help me, that I should call Blue. I told him Blue told me to call Cingular (which they did in February when I first got the phone). He thought about it for a minute (I wasn't going away - polite but firm) and eventually he said, "give me your IMEI and let me see what I can find in the system". After 3 minutes he said "Oh, ok, I found an unlock code, it's in our system". He then had to get someone from the Blue side to verify my account standing (been with ATTWS for 4 years, no problems there) and then he said that someone would call me back within 2-5 days.

An hour later he called back with the code, told me how to unlock and BAM, unlocked.

Just put in a Cingular Orange SIM from a friends phone and it works just fine.

Thanks for all the tips in here guys...

Now I have an unlocked Treo650 with the Unlocked 1.28 GSM ROM...very nice and I'm very happy
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Since I just sent back my unlocked Treo 650 here is the IMEI and unlock code combination.

IMEI: 354427000242286
    Unlock: 87048450

Maybe some math wiz can figure out the algorithm that generates unlock codes from the IMEI number and save us all the hassle of calling the phone companies
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    I just called that 866-490-2666 number. I am Cingular Blue so the guy said he couldn't help me, that I should call Blue. I told him Blue told me to call Cingular (which they did in February when I first got the phone). He thought about it for a minute (I wasn't going away - polite but firm) and eventually he said, "give me your IMEI and let me see what I can find in the system". After 3 minutes he said "Oh, ok, I found an unlock code, it's in our system". He then had to get someone from the Blue side to verify my account standing (been with ATTWS for 4 years, no problems there) and then he said that someone would call me back within 2-5 days.

An hour later he called back with the code, told me how to unlock and BAM, unlocked.

Just put in a Cingular Orange SIM from a friends phone and it works just fine.

Thanks for all the tips in here guys...

Now I have an unlocked Treo650 with the Unlocked 1.28 GSM ROM...very nice and I'm very happy

I called Thursday at about 4:00pm and asked for a unlock code. I have been Cing orange since they bought BellsouthMob. I kinda acted dumb and hard time pronouncing subsidy etc. And the rep I was talking to asked if I was previously with ATTWS. I told him no and he said that they are told to go ahead and give former ATT customers unlock codes then or very soon, no authorization required. However he said he would send my request in and asked for my email address. This morning at about 8:00 I got a phone call from them and they told me to check my email because the code and instructions were sent to me.

The instructions were very clear and I also have a unlocked 1.28 Cingular phone with absolutely no crash's in Five days. I am very happy because I thought I would never hear back from Cingular!
    Sounds like a great result. Initially, I had a similar experience with Cingaliar when I unlocked my first Treo 650. Talked to several reps and finally was able to get through to the technical dept (the phone # that I had saved for that dept is no longer operative) which is empowered to dole out the precious "unlock codes". Entered my code, unlocked the sim restrictions, purchased and inserted a Telcell sim card and I was in business. All key data in one phone, functioning moderately well (had not attempted any of the beta upgrades). Impressed with the phone; however, after about a month, the ear piece receptacle malfunctioned and since Cingaliar no longer has technical repair personnel in any of their Texas sites, and after numerous phone calls, a repair rep authorized a phone exchange. Phone arrived, synced the new phone and all seemed ok. When I attempted to use the replacement phone in Mexico, it was sim locked and my Telcell sim card would no longer function. Called Cingaliar and after several run-around phone calls, convinced someone to plead my case before the Cingaliar Unlocking Tribunal and presto two emails with two different unlocking codes. One matched the IMEI number of the replacement phone. What the other represented, I have not a clue. I entered the code from the email with the matching IMEI, got a sim lock removed message and felt I was again back in business. Not so, the Telcell sim card would not work. Took card to Telcell and from Tellcell all was ok with the sim card, but still would not work in Treo 650. Got back with a responsive rep from Cingaliar and convinced her that I did know what I was doing when I entered the unlock code and after two tries, I heeded the Cingaliar warning of call before fifth try or else "the phone would be permanently locked as a Cingaliar phone forever and forever". After my recent experience with Cingaliar, the warning was significantly threatening to get my attention. Interesting that Cingaliar would pick such a threat so that its customers would pay attention to the warning. The Cingaliar rep contacted PalmOne on the phone and a "technical expert”, Raymond, requested (with the Cingaliar rep also on the phone) that I try again for the third time. I did, sim lock removed message from the phone, and the Telcell sim card was again rejected. The next is bizarre, but recounted as well as I can summarize. Raymond said, don't bother with the lock code again, just enter 12345678 as your lock code. I protested, indicating this was my fourth try. He said don't worry, the "five trys and Cingaliar forever" is not true. So, the three of us, Cingaliar rep, the PalmOne rep and I set about to use my forth try. Message came back the same, the sim card lock is now removed. Same result, the Telcell sim card would not work.

I think the Cingaliar rep was as shocked as was I with the help from PalmOne. She was sufficiently experienced and straightforward. Not at all like several Cingaliar reps who indicated that lock codes were unavailable and required much time to acquire as they could only be obtained from PalmOne. Who knows the truth. Five trys and your out. 12345678 works as well as anything as a lock code. Message says lock removed, but really is still locked. My guess is that Cingaliar uses its clout to lean on PalmOne to play dumb as possible while the top players at Cingaliar attempt to LOCK in market share with locked phones. My thought is that the FCC would do all cell phone players (specifically the better companies) a favor by forcing them to compete with good service and competitive rates for their share of the market.

The end of this story will follow in a later post. The Cingaliar rep took pity (and admitted to much embarrassment), quickly assisted in the authorization of my second replacement cell phone. Maybe after much begging and pleading, a new unlock code will follow and just maybe, the new phone will accept my Tellcell sim card. What a tremendous waste of time and money. Who knows, the Cingaliar execs that killed off all tech service in stores, and authorized the "game of hide the unlock code" will probably get a great bonus this year. If I could do it over again, I would probably purchase an unlocked 650 from PalmOne, but with some trepidation. I doubt we would find clean hands in the PalmOne shop either. Somebody at PalmOne is quite happy about $650 unlocked Treo 650's.

More to follow in a subsequent post.
    I got unlocked my treo 650 today. Please check www.e-tekware.com. They will give detail info to unlock the phone. But you need pay them.
    i called cingular CS two days ago (the regular number) and got a guy who didn't know what he was doing. but i told him i was going to europe and wanted to unlock it. he first gave me a bunch of bull about roaming and how there are great cingular roaming rates, etc. but i said i'd rather purchase a european sim...he then took my IMEI no. and email address...and within a few hours, the code was mailed to me. no problems, really. i can't tell yet if it's unlocked as i do not have any other GSM sim with me, but at least i have the code and 4 more tries just in case.

like many have said, it all depends on who you get when you call CS. just keep trying if the first person you get doesn't help.