1.    #1  
    Though I'm sure someone (e.g., Shadowmite) will figure out a way to unlock Cingular phones, I called customer service today and got some potentially useful information.

I told them that I might be travelling to Europe in a few months and that I wanted to be able to make a call overseas. After being told that I couldn't do that, the CSR spoke with his manager and was directed to add a "free" feature to my account called "international roaming and dialing allowed." By doing that, he said that I would be able to make calls while overseas, though they would be $1.29/minute. After I've been a Cingular customer for 6 months, I can then get their world plan (I think he said it was $5.99/month) which would allow me to make calls overseas (roaming) for $0.99/minute.

Granted, I'm betting that it is a whole lot cheaper to purchase a SIM overseas and stick it into an unlocked phone but, until we get that solution, this sounds like it's a viable alternative (assuming it works).

- B.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Depending on where you're going in europe and your usage patterns, it'll probably cheaper for you to buy both a phone and prepaid sims at your destination. At $1.29/min, a $50 phone that's unlocked looks pretty good to me! eBay has tons of unlocked tri-band phones....if you want a reliable but older motorola model, send me pm (but I am not pitching my used phone...)

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilovett

I told them that I might be travelling to Europe in a few months and that I wanted to be able to make a call overseas. After being told that I couldn't do that, the CSR spoke with his manager and was directed to add a "free" feature to my account called "international roaming and dialing allowed." By doing that, he said that I would be able to make calls while overseas, though they would be $1.29/minute. After I've been a Cingular customer for 6 months, I can then get their world plan (I think he said it was $5.99/month) which would allow me to make calls overseas (roaming) for $0.99/minute.

- B.
    This feature can be had for the asking, though the reason they asked a manager is probably due to the short length of time you've had a contract with them. I've had this feature enabled for quite a while now. I predict, however, that you will change your mind about its usefulness when you get your first phone bill. I would either do as suggested (by a cheap unlocked world phone) or wait for the unlock patch to be developed for the 650. I did so for the 600 and it paid off.

Many of the prepaid SIM plans offer free incoming calls and it is usually cheaper for someone from the US to call a foreign country rather than the other way around. Using a prepaid SIM and an unlocked phone can give you very reasonable local call rates.

BTW, you can also buy unlocked GSM phones from a number of places...

Good luck.
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/10/2005 at 02:22 PM.
  4. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I am also a new Cingular customer (came over from ATT Wireless) traveling to Europe (in my case Italy). I called Cingular too. My account already had international roaming.

Be careful though. It is much more expensive than the roaming rates lead you to believe. You pay roaming on incoming calls - even if a calls rings on your phone and goes to voicemail. As long as you are accessing the local carrier's system you pay roaming. With a prepaid SIM incoming calls are free. On outgoing local calls with Cingular you are charged long distance as well as the roaming rate since your number is a US number. Data is also very expensive ($0.03 per Kb).

Bottom line if you use your phone even a moderate amount a prepaid SIM makes a whole lot more sense.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish

BTW, you can also buy unlocked GSM phones from a number of places...

Good luck.
    He's right, you can get unlocked tri-band GSM phones (usually used) together with prepaid sims card in many places throughout europe.....
    Or just get your Treo unlocked and buy a SIM when you get there.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    roaming overseas is a viable option for occasional/emergency calls. if you're abroad on vacation, hopefully you'll spend more time seeing the sights than calling people back home!
    - pc
    When we buy a local Sim card, do we get a new local telephone number ? Is there a new tel number associated with each SIM card, if we have to change one ?

If we have cingular and we are using Cingular's Sim card, how do people call me outside ? Is it just dialing my local cingular number ?
    Treo, I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neilweinrib
    When we buy a local Sim card, do we get a new local telephone number ? Is there a new tel number associated with each SIM card, if we have to change one ?

If we have cingular and we are using Cingular's Sim card, how do people call me outside ? Is it just dialing my local cingular number ?
    Yes, each sim card has individual mobile number.
    If you bought a new Cingular T650 and paid full price (no subsidy or change in contract length), then you can call Cingular tech support (not the usual CSR) and ask them to give you the SIM Subsidy Unlock Code. They will ask you to fax them your original invoice and your IMEI number (just photocopy the side of the box with all of the info), plus your cell number. They then give you an 8-digit code (takes a minute or 2 on their end). At the Treo 650 phone screen, you then type in:
    *#*# then 8-digit code then #
    and then hit the green dial button. You should get a message back that confirms unlock. Now you have a fully unlocked Treo 650 world phone.