1.    #1  
    I'm looking into getting an unlocked phone (650) but I'm with blue. In my house I know the cingular (orange) tower is much stronger and at least with my nokia phone I can force it to go to the cingular tower. I know by default phones will try to authenticate to its native towers but I'm hoping that I can manualy override that like i can in my other phones.
    my treo allows me to select the network my phone uses manually. I assume an unlocked one would allow it too.
    Treo 650 GSM
    AT&T is updating their towers. Yesterday my sim started to show two indistinguishable Cingular networks. Can't tell Orange from blue anymore. (Northern California.)
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    AT&T is updating their towers. Yesterday my sim started to show two indistinguishable Cingular networks. Can't tell Orange from blue anymore. (Northern California.)
    Levyesq, how can you tell/see which networks are available?

t
    At the phone dialpad, go to options, then network selection. I only see two Cingulars since yesterday. Customer care said it was due to updating towers, but it doesn't affect the subsidy lock - still wouldn't be able to use a Cingular sim in my ATT phone.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    They more than likely have updated your SIM not the towers. Same thing just happened to me on the east coast and the towers here have not been updated.
    Treo 650 GSM
    When I turn wireless mode off, I can see the network selection menu item, but when I turn wireless mode on network selection is gone.

Does anyone know why and/or know a way around this? I am currently using a locked Cingular 650. Do I need to unlock?

I travel internationally a lot. Should I unlock and use prepaid SIM when outside the country as is suggested in a couple of other posting?
    So Cingular Orange (not the case with Blue aka AT&Tws) has programmed the sims to disable the manual network selection. As a result, when you're using their SIM (at least any SIM handed out in the last year) you will not be able to manually select the network unless you're in a situation where the phone can't figure out what to select automatically. So sad to say, as long as you're in range of a cingular, at&tws, or any other carrier with a roaming agreement, you won't have access to the manual network selection.

If you have (had) AT&Twireless, you should still be able to do manual selection.

I'd love to know a hack to re-enable it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    My SIM is going on 2yrs old and I can't manually select the network....32k GT SIM
    Cingular prevent manual network selection via an application on the SIM, so if you have an Orange SIM you aren't going tobe able to select the network. It doesn't matter what phone you have I don't think, at least if it is an approved Cingular device at least, not sure about other non-Cingular vendors. Anyway to dissable this, or enable I should say, you either have to get Care to over the air program your SIM to allow network selection manually (what ever they consider a good reason to enable that), or you are some how going to edit the data on your SIM (I assume most will not be able to do this last one...).
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Anyway to dissable this, or enable I should say, you either have to get Care to over the air program your SIM to allow network selection manually (what ever they consider a good reason to enable that), or you are some how going to edit the data on your SIM (I assume most will not be able to do this last one...).
    I think that's a myth. After calling again, this time I got tech support and he actually filed a trouble ticket where an engineer will in fact look in to the problem and contact me, I asked him if he could enable my manual network selection in order to just try the AT&T tower. I was calling about the terrible download speeds on EDGE by the way.
    He said they have no tools or ability to do so and added "believe me, I wish there was a way because I'd do it for you right no to try it out." He said they simply have no way of doing that
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The only treo that I can manually select the network on is my 270. When I do so it gives me 2 options: AT&T Cingular and Cingular!
    And that is using my wifes 32k SIM.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I think that's a myth. After calling again, this time I got tech support and he actually filed a trouble ticket where an engineer will in fact look in to the problem and contact me, I asked him if he could enable my manual network selection in order to just try the AT&T tower. I was calling about the terrible download speeds on EDGE by the way.
    He said they have no tools or ability to do so and added "believe me, I wish there was a way because I'd do it for you right no to try it out." He said they simply have no way of doing that

You could be right about getting Cingular Manual Network Selection Enabled being a myth, I have never had a Cingular SIM in my personal phone, so I am not sure. I just see what some have reported in posts on the forums...

In the case you mentioned above they could have changed your home network, if you have a 64K SIM, to the Blue network to test data speeds. I am not sure that they can just change it right away though or if there is a delay and that only gets done at a specific time ( I am guessing middle of the night).
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    The only treo that I can manually select the network on is my 270. When I do so it gives me 2 options: AT&T Cingular and Cingular!
    And that is using my wifes 32k SIM.
    What brand of phone are you using? My Blue 650 allows manual network selection anyway. All of my ATTWS phones always have.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Unlocked 270 (Cingular branded), unlocked 600 (Cingular branded) and an Unlocked 650 (no branding).
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    You could be right about getting Cingular Manual Network Selection Enabled being a myth, I have never had a Cingular SIM in my personal phone, so I am not sure. I just see what some have reported in posts on the forums...

In the case you mentioned above they could have changed your home network, if you have a 64K SIM, to the Blue network to test data speeds. I am not sure that they can just change it right away though or if there is a delay and that only gets done at a specific time ( I am guessing middle of the night).
    My experience with a Treo600 is that Cingular locks out the network selection in the SIM. With an unbranded unlocked Treo600, a TMobile SIM and ATTWS SIM allowed network selection. My Cingular SIM did not.
    What brand of phone are you using? My Blue 650 allows manual network selection anyway. All of my ATTWS phones always have.
    Once again, it's the SIM, not the phone.

The SIM is programed to disable manual network selection (all Cingular SIMS.)
    If you have an AT&T wireless (Cingular Blue) treo then you have an AT&T wireless SIM. AT&T wireless did not disable the manual network selection. T-Moble and every other GSM carrier in the world that i know of also does not disable this feature.
    It's a stupid thing that Cingular did to force people NOT intentionally roam to other towers.

It's possible older phones ignore this programing and still allow you to do it in spite of what the SIM says (ala Treo 270 or whatever.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)