1.    #1  
    I am currently with ATTWS (Siemens S56), and want to buy a Treo 650. The Cingular sales rep I spoke with yesterday told me that they'd sell me a Treo, but I'd have to switch my plan to Cingular, and I'd pay $10 more and lose 100 mins/mo. compared to what I have with ATTWS. That didn't appeal to me, so I told her I'd probably just stay with ATTWS until my contract expires, and buy an unlocked 650 and swap the SIM card from my Siemens. She told me that my current SIM card wouldn't work in the Treo. My BS alarm went off and I thanked her for her time. But now I wonder. Is there any way for Cingular to know which phone is using my SIM card? Before I spring for the Treo, I want to be sure it'll work. Can anyone who knows about these things tell me FOR SURE that I'll be able to swap my SIM card and keep using my present service?
    Work is the province of cattle
    --Dorothy Parker
    The carrier to whom you subscribe cannot tell if you have your SIM in the original phone or in a water melon. Unless you call tech support and ask for help with your water melon phone. Then they will say "Hmmm. That's not the phone we sold you."
    I'm in the same boat as you, have a S56 and ATT, except that I already bought, and am waiting for, an unlocked Treo. I've asked this questions and people assured me it would work, and someone told me he/she had this same phone/carrier and swapped the sim with his treo (600 I think). I hope to find out for sure in a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    The carrier to whom you subscribe cannot tell if you have your SIM in the original phone or in a water melon. Unless you call tech support and ask for help with your water melon phone. Then they will say "Hmmm. That's not the phone we sold you."
    that just got me laughing here at work. All i can picture is someone holding a watermellon to their head.

But he's right. They can't tell that what phone your SIM is in. Now if you have unlimited data (for normal voice phones) and u use data on the treo..I believe for most part they don't know..its when you use a crazy amount or if you use uncommon ports on your data that they will start to notice something is up with your account. They can't kick you off, but they'll bill you like crazy for abnormal data activity.
    It's been discussed over and over and over here. But the carries CAN tell what phone you're using.

At least T-mobile can. I retired my Nokia 3650 because I needed a non-camera phone for work. I put my SIM into my wife's Nokia 3595. Within five minutes, the My Tmobile page displayed a little picture of the 3595. This wasn't a phone I'd recently purchased. It's been her primary phone for over a year.

PLUS, you can see "devices I've recently used" and it also shows the Siemens CF62T that I bought for her but tested my SIM in for about an hour.

So they can most definitely track which handset your SIM is in.

Now, whether or not they CARE what you're using as long as they can bill you; that's another matter all together.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    So they can most definitely track which handset your SIM is in.

Now, whether or not they CARE what you're using as long as they can bill you; that's another matter all together.
    Thanks for that, WhoIsTheFly.

I suspected as much, but didn't have any proof one way or the other. Lotusbabe above seems to be in the same situation that I am, and will discover (I assume) whether ATTWS cares.
    Work is the province of cattle
    --Dorothy Parker
    Maybe Cingualr doesn't know, or care. lol.

T650 GSM guys are using with MEdia Works it by popping in their SIM card from their cheapo phone when Cingular insists that MEdia Works is NOT for PDA's.

Cingular is not saying anything. Hmmm. Maybe that's cuz Cingular is preparing its final blow to Data abusers
    All the carriers can tell which phone you're using with your SIM. But TonyH really had me laughing out loud with his analysis and I think it remains basically true. So as long as you pay your bill Cingular doesn't care if you have your SIM in your original phone or in a water melon
    And Woodworks, your BS alarm was right on the money. An unlocked Treo will accept your SIM for sure.
    Quick question, since I'm new tro GSM:

Can a SIM card be duplicated? This way you can have one in each of your two (or more) phones, and just turn one on at a time?
    TonyH, I believe that's illegal.

Or at least, prohibitavely difficult.

It would certainly cause much confusion for the cell towers int he area should both ever get turned on at the same time.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    I definitely am not trying to get an illegal thing going. I understand that the two phones cannot be turned on at the same time. That is why, under tight control, I used to duplicate TDMA and CDMA ESN's when I field tested them for cell manufacturers. I was the only person with access to an ESN exchanging device. But I got out of the business long before GSM became widespead. Thus my naive question.
    Tony - I bought a unlocked 650 and swapped my sim card. No problem what so ever surfing or anything. It is with Cingular. The only problem I am having is with voicemail setup...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Quick question, since I'm new tro GSM:

Can a SIM card be duplicated? This way you can have one in each of your two (or more) phones, and just turn one on at a time?
    No, should not be able to have two sim cards with same number. You need to purchase sim card(s) from service provider...once you buy new one, the old one is 'dead'
    Quote Originally Posted by dtsm
    No, should not be able to have two sim cards with same number. You need to purchase sim card(s) from service provider...once you buy new one, the old one is 'dead'
    Well, I found out SIM cards can indeed be duplicated, but it is not easy, and it requires fairly expensive hardware boxes and software to do it. So, it's not really worth it for my purposes.

Yo're right that the old SIM is "dead" once you get a new one. Well, not dead but it turns unregistered. That's because each SIM transmits its own unique serial number when you turn your phone on and gets authenticated.
    Cingular's customer service and sales reps told me I had to buy a new phone to use it with Cingular. I switched from ATTWS to Cingular last Nov. I got one of the free phones, left the store, took the SIM card out and stuck it in my ATTWS Nokia 6820. Worked just fine.

So long as the GSM device supports the frequencies your carrier uses, it will work just fine as a phone when you stick in your SIM card. The only thing to worry about is settings related to WAP, GPRS, SMS & MMS as these are specific to each carrier. Though, I just called up Cingular customer service and had them walk me through the the configuration for the Nokia 6820.

So, yes, you can keep using your service. My unlocked Treo 600 will be arriving in two days and I will swap out my SIM from the 6820 into the T600 and I'm 100% sure my service will still work. I'll just have to fiddle with the settings to make the additional features work.
    Sumorai, that only means your Nokia was unlocked, not that it works on any phones that is quad band. I have a registred TMo SIM in my hand, and it won't work on my Moto v551 because the v551 quad band is subsidy locked to Cingular. However, my Siemens SX66 is not locked. So the TMo SIM works fine in it.
    I could swap my sim from my Siemens to my Treo 650 unlocked and didn't even have to setup voice mail, it all worked very simply.
    GSM Unlocked T650 050202-2154xx
    Order Placed: 2/02/2005 11:10:42 AM EST