1.    #1  
    I have (what I think is) an unlocked Treo 600, GSM version, originally used with Orange in Europe.

(Is there any easy way to check it's unlocked, by the way? Sorry for dumb newbie question.)

Any thoughts on which US GSM carrier to choose? I'm interested in fees they may charge for activating the phone, advantages in coverage and voice and data plans.

I did try the search function, but perhaps did it poorly. Do let me know if this has been well covered in some thread I didn't find.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    C'mon, peeps, no advice at all?
    You may want to check this article, especially if you are primarily interested in data costs.

http://twelveblackcodemonkeys.blog-c...ad/1050881.htm

HTH,
    Bree
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    I have (what I think is) an unlocked Treo 600, GSM version, originally used with Orange in Europe.

(Is there any easy way to check it's unlocked, by the way? Sorry for dumb newbie question.)

Any thoughts on which US GSM carrier to choose? I'm interested in fees they may charge for activating the phone, advantages in coverage and voice and data plans.

I did try the search function, but perhaps did it poorly. Do let me know if this has been well covered in some thread I didn't find.

Thanks!
    How did you 'secure' your new phone? That might be why you're not getting responses.

Only USA phones are usually locked; anything purchased in Asia is always unlocked, assume Europe is probably same way. And if USA/TMO, they will help to unlock; ATT would never do that; not sure re Cingular.

Go to any TMO or Cingular store or website to get info re fees, coverage, data plans. In general TMO is more generous in their plans but others claim Cingular has better coverage (esp with merge of ATT), and also they offer roll over minutes.

When it comes to data, it becomes more complicated...depends on your usage patterns, demands, etc. TMO will tell you to add $19.99 unlimited internet to get email and web but in fact simple T-Zones at $4.99 will work (if you search the sites for hacks)....but you're not there yet
    if you're budget wise, and get decent T reception
    the answer is pretty clear
    I can't trust Cing that much, due to past bad experience
    So t-zones will work for email and WAP on the 600? No hacks? (I realize that regular web access requires the hacks -- I just want to know if I can use the 4.99 plan for email.)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    right now, Cingular has better coverage around the US than T-Mobile. But, T-Mobile's data plans are far more flexible, and they unlock phones for free. I was thinking of switching, but no carrier can match my grandfathered T-Mobile plan with free first incoming minutes, unlimited VPN and Wap, etc. You have to decide what's important, data or voice, and where you are most likely to need your Treo to work.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    $19.99 Internet option is the right data option for Treo
    email, IM, web (html and wap), shoutcast (with pocket tunes)
  9.    #9  
    Well, it came from Orange in Europe. And, it turns out, it's locked. TMo and Cingular reps both said they can't unlock it but said there are third party vendors who will do so for a fee. I also see by searching several threads that mention software solutions, but I don't see one consolidated step-by-step set of instructions that are known to work with a Treo 600. Can anyone point me to a good thread?
    You should also check to see if you can get a discount through your employer. Cingular/AT&T has discounted rates for some business customers...
    If you use T-mobile in CA or NV you will get EDGE data speeds at $19.99/month. I just ran the dslreports mobile speed test with my unlocked T650 w/ T-mo sim. I am getting 96-108kbps. That's not your average GPRS speeds. I keep telling people T-mobile uses Cingular's network in CA and NV. I'm set!