Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my AT&T/Cingular 650 (I'm in Los Angeles). I've read a little about it's EDGE capabilities, but I'm not very knowledgable aboue wireless internet.

My question is, how do you know if you are utilizing the EDGE speeds? I suppose my internet is a little "snappier" than on my 600, but it doesn't seem to be blazingly fast.
    If you still have your 600, try comparing results from www.dslreports.com/mspeed

You should see a decent sized difference in results if you're getting edge speeds. There are a couple other posts on this topic as well somewhere
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    The T600 is not edge capable, as far as I know. But the T50 is, although it is not advertised as a selling point. Many small phones like the Moto v551 are advertised as Edge capable. The hardware has to support it.

If your device is Edge enabled and your area has Edge active you should see considerable speed improvements in web browsing and downloading. If you use dslreports mobile speed you should get typical speeds arounf 140-200 kbps on a straight connection, and possibly higher when you thether.
    I get between 40 and 60 k on my 650. rep said we have edge. doesn't look like edge to me
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I just tested my GSM 650 in San Diego and got 112k. 40-60k doesn't sound like edge.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    71 kbit/sec

3.673s latency
    24.666s

then the Palm went blank before I could note everything.

no EDGE. WTF?

Portland, OR
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    2nd test

87 kbit/sec
    2.404 latency
    20.431 ls d/l time
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    last i swear:

135 kbit/sec

Better
    I think I heard someone say you get a different symbol on the phone when you are using edge. Like a box around a triangle or something.
    118k in beverly hills
    On page 173 of the owners manual. Next to the signal strength indicator when you are in an EDGE data area, there will be a small triangle on the screen.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    If you're getting more than 100 kbps then you're probably in EDGE country. GPRS does not deliver such speed. EDGE is supposed to deliver up to 384kbps, but that is only in theory and will not be achieved under average connection circumstances.
    I read a little more.
    The following icons indicate data services:
    Triangle - Your phone is on and a GPRS or EDGE network is within range.

Green arrows above signal bars - Your phone is connected to a GPRS or EDGE network. When the arrows above the signal bars are green, you can still receive calls.

Black arrows above signal bars - Your phone is actively using a dial-up, circuit-switched data (CSD) connection. When the arrows above the signal bars are black, you cannot receive calls.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Good info to know. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Good info to know. Thanks.
    Sad thing is i don't have mine yet, but I printed up the 206 page owners manual today. This is a first, I have actually read the directions to something. My wife won't believe it!
    Interesting. My manual states (on page 39):"The triangle appears when your phone is on and a GPRS OR EDGE network is within range. Some service providers do not show the triangle" I don't believe (in fact I'm 99% sure from a conversation with one of the prerelease testers) the 650 doesn't display a special symbol for EDGE. The only way to tell is by speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    On page 173 of the owners manual. Next to the signal strength indicator when you are in an EDGE data area, there will be a small triangle on the screen.
    My Nokia 6820 is EDGE-capable and I've never had speeds above 70-80kbps with it. The edge logo (G in a box) appears all the time, not just the regular G for GPRS.
    G is the logo for GPRS, not for EDGE
    dslreports from San Jose, CA. 191 kbit/sec
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    He said "G in a BOX" .... the box, that is an EDGE indicator. That phone does have it, one of the very few.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    G is the logo for GPRS, not for EDGE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast