Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just tried, allegedly on EDGE, and got 16 kbit/sec, 2.174s latency and 101.862s d/l time. What does this mean??
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    He said "G in a BOX" .... the box, that is an EDGE indicator. That phone does have it, one of the very few.
    I have no "G" in a box and I think my speed is slow
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    My speed is in the 30-40k speeds, I did burst up to 55k once. They say I am in edge, but if this is edge.... Could Sprint be in my future?
    The 650 has no edge indicator. He was talking about a Nokia 6820.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I have no "G" in a box and I think my speed is slow
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    The 650 has no edge indicator. He was talking about a Nokia 6820.
    Oh...well, that sucks. Isn't my posted speed still very slow?

When I go to Preferences-->Network, my Service: GPRS , Connection: GPRS , so shouldn't one of them say EDGE? I thought TMob was GPRS?

Help?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Sigh ..... EDGE is a "part of" GSM. There will be no indication anywhere on the 650 or it's configurations. I usually get anywhere from 80-130 on mine and I have even had readings of 10 on rare occassions. I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over those tests.
    Oh...well, that sucks. Isn't my posted speed still very slow?

When I go to Preferences-->Network, my Service: GPRS , Connection: GPRS , so shouldn't one of them say EDGE? I thought TMob was GPRS?

Help?
    I've only had the phone 1 day, but now my speeds are much faster this evening. 90's to 117 kbit/sec. Does this make sense??
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    WHich is why I said: "I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over those tests."
    I've only had the phone 1 day, but now my speeds are much faster this evening. 90's to 117 kbit/sec. Does this make sense??
    And what kinds of speeds would a non-EDGE phone get? Is Cingular's plans worth it if TMob speeds are the similar?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    with no EDGE you can expect anywhere from 40~100kbps, sometimes more, on GPRS depending on local conditions. I've never been with T-Mo, but I may get a cheapo phone just to see how good they are.

I tend to agree with MisterED. DSL reports tests will give you a general idea, but I won't abandon a carrier just because dslreports says I'm connected slower than the next guy. Conditions vary a great deal. The results are not guarantees you can use to demand faster speed from your service provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I think I heard someone say you get a different symbol on the phone when you are using edge. Like a box around a triangle or something.
    No this is not true. I have even contacted PalmOne support to ask about this - the phone DOES NOT show any difference between a GPRS or EDGE data connection.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If you're getting more than 100 kbps then you're probably in EDGE country. GPRS does not deliver such speed. EDGE is supposed to deliver up to 384kbps, but that is only in theory and will not be achieved under average connection circumstances.
    It seems like that would only be possible with a 8 timeslot capable device, and that is not even listed in any EDGE mobile (or GPRS for that matter) specs that I have ever seen. Sounds like they told us BS when they gave that as an EDGE speed. It will be UMTS before we can see suck speeds from what I read, maybe even later (I hope not).

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai
    My Nokia 6820 is EDGE-capable and I've never had speeds above 70-80kbps with it. The edge logo (G in a box) appears all the time, not just the regular G for GPRS.
    What class device is it. If it only has two EDGE slots for downloading it will only be about 1/2 the speed of the 650 with it's 4 EDGE downlink slots. Also the network has impact on the data speeds, so it might not be the phone.

edit: sorry I forgot I was not posting in the Treo 650 forum... some of what I said may not be 100% correct for other devices.
    Last edited by helpermonkey; 02/24/2005 at 05:11 PM.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I've been much happier with my speeds, now it's just the CS that totally sucks.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    New York City, Upper West Side: I just did a test and the result was 121kb/sec.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Using the http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed site, I first tested with my 650 & got results of 132, 131 & 130kbit/sec when downloading the 200k file. Inserted the sim into my 600 & got a result of 38kbit/sec. EDGE works in my town!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    Using the http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed site, I first tested with my 650 & got results of 132, 131 & 130kbit/sec when downloading the 200k file. Inserted the sim into my 600 & got a result of 38kbit/sec. EDGE works in my town!!!!
    I was getting around 200kb/sec yesterday.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I think I heard someone say you get a different symbol on the phone when you are using edge. Like a box around a triangle or something.
    When I was using the MPX220, I would see a "G" on my screen.
    The "G" is not edge ... it means GPRS which could or could not be Edge. You will always get the "G" because that covers both. The only way to tell is by your speed on most all phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    When I was using the MPX220, I would see a "G" on my screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    Yup!! That you do
    I've been much happier with my speeds, now it's just the CS that totally sucks.
    LOL. I agree, but the conveniece and speed should make it better. I think if you don't hafta talk to CS you will always be a happy customer, whether it is Cingular or any other carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112
    My speed is in the 30-40k speeds, I did burst up to 55k once. They say I am in edge, but if this is edge.... Could Sprint be in my future?
    I'm in the same same situation.

According to Cingular's map of their EDGE coverage, there's EDGE service throughout the area where I live and work (Silver Spring and College Park, Maryland). But my connection speeds are about the same as yours.

Even though I wanted GSM, I'm starting to think seriously of returning my Cingular 650 and getting a Sprint one instead. Does anyone know if it would be any better?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast