Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got this phone from the Cingular store the day it came out. I love its concept however, I am really disappointed because the phone is so buggy and constantly soft resets itself randomly. I have yet to install any 3rd party software on it given that the OS is so unstable.

Things I like:

Camera despite other complaints I think is pretty good.
    Size and general appearance is very nice
    The way the phone should work is a great feature

Problems I am having:

Voice mail speed dial randomly changes its number. You cannot change the voice mail number so sometimes in gets into a freeze and will dial some international number or just 50 zeros in a row. When this happens there is no way to clear it or change the number. After waiting a couple of hours the voice mail number is back and it dials find.??

Versa Mail program when entering it causes the palm to soft reset itself. This has happen for hours on end. I finally had to hard reset the entire phone and reinstall all the software to get the phone to allow me to enter versa mail.

Phone randomly freezes for 10 seconds.???

Dropped calls and sometimes when people call in on call waiting the phone will do a soft reset. In fact touching any key while on the phone sometimes causes a soft reset.

Besides all this I am really annoyed because I paid 600 dollars out the door for this phone and a bluetooth headset. You would think for that price the OS would work. Especially since Cingular had the phone 3 months after Sprint and released theirs. On a somewhat simple OS like palm these types of bugs should have been worked out.

I am going to keep the phone hoping that a firmware update soon will solve the problem but I am disappointed because this problems should have been caught and fixed during the beta testing since I am finding all these problems and all I am using is the preinstalled software that came with the phone.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Don't keep the phone hoping a firmware patch will fix it. I've not had any problems with mine, but don't depend on Palm to release anything with any degree of certainty or optimism. Take the phone back, tell the store manager of the problems you are having and that you insist on a replacement (nicely, of course ;-). When you get home, uninstall your original hotsync software and install the new stuff from scratch. A new phone may solve the problem as experience seems to varying WIDELY - from no problems to totally unusable out of the box - and everything in between. Good luck, and DON'T WAIT!
    Vince
    Regarding frequent resets: What software do you have installed, and how did you install it? (If you don't have anything installed but what came with the phone, then it sounds like you do have a bad treo).

Search these forums for versamail. There are a couple of known issues, and fixes for them have been discussed in a couple of threads. I gave up on VM and use an older version of SnapperMail. I like it much better than VM.

Frequent resets are almost always related to software incompatibility. Did you upgrade from another Palm OS device? If so, did you do it by hotsyncing to your old backup directory to restore all the programs? In the case of the Treo 650, that is known to cause problems. Try a hard reset, then rename your backup directory so that old programs aren't installed when you hotsync. Make sure you have the latest updated versions of your software, and install 1 program at a time. Test it to make sure there are no obvious problems before installing another. If there are problems, delete it an throw it away, or hope for an update. A lot of older software just won't run well on the 650.

The voice mail thing I've never heard of before. If it still happens after a hard reset, that definitely sounds like an issue to take up with Cingular.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Meyerweb,

You are the voice of reason in these discussion threads!
    versamail has the same problems as the mail program on the 600. Mainly, space issues/allocation.
    I wiped my mail settings and now it works fine.
    Remember: You are an unique, individual person...just like everyone else
  6.    #6  
    this is a new treo 650 for me. I have never owned anything like this before. I have been reading the posts here for months and waiting the release. I don't know what the deal is but I assume that it is a software issue. I have done a hard reset and reinstalled everthing from scratch, deleting all old files. Still the same problems. So it has to be the software on the phone which would mean that if I replaced it with a new phone the problems would still be there???
    I'm having some similar issues. I can't answer about 75% of the calls I receive because as soon as press either the answer key or on the screen (or even the bluetooth headset), the whole system reboots. Though it doesn't confirm before rebooting, the call is very briefly connected and others can hear me. I'm going to try a replacement phone when its in stock. I've installed several programs and set up bluetooth syncing and headset. Its hard to say if it started after installing something in particular because I spent all weekend installing and playing with it
    What apps do you have installed?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    acrobat reader, feedburner - RSS reader (installed IBM java for this as well, I think), documents to go, mmplayer, pockettunes, and rescoview
    [QUOTE=chrisrgr]

Problems I am having:

Voice mail speed dial randomly changes its number. You cannot change the voice mail number so sometimes in gets into a freeze and will dial some international number or just 50 zeros in a row. When this happens there is no way to clear it or change the number. After waiting a couple of hours the voice mail number is back and it dials fine.??

QUOTE]

I had the same voicemail problem yesterday! Weird. Tried to change the number but it wont let you. I tried resynching w/desktop overriding handheld. Nothing. Tried deleting the favorite. Can't. Reset the phone. Still messed up voicemail. Left it alone and later it was back to normal. Weird. My voicemail had all zeroes and then a really weird 00067...number. I think I got some international operator when I called my voicemail. Should I call Cingular?
    same voicemail problem here too. I was being connected to Sprint. I did a workaround for it. Just create a new favorite button and speed dial your voicemail number (you can set it up to auto-dail your pin too). I set my shortcut to "V". Then I moved my original voicemail to the end of the favorite buttons list (because I can't seem to delete or edit it) and moved the new one in its place. The only effective difference now is pressing and holding the "V" instead of "1" to get to voicemail.
    Re: voicemail problem,

Maybe try Menu->Options->Call Preferences and hit "Get Status" if the VM number is messed up and see if it corrects itself. Sounds like a Cingular netwok issue to me. I'm using my AT&T SIM from my 600 in my AT&T 650 and no problems so far with that.

Charlie, re: the soft reset when picking up the call, in the phone app after the soft reset, enter #*377 Dial and see what app is causing it.

"A reset was caused on 2/7/05 at 3:13 pm while running "Phone": Fatal Exception"
    Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I can do a lot about it if its the phone app itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie702
    "A reset was caused on 2/7/05 at 3:13 pm while running "Phone": Fatal Exception"
    Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I can do a lot about it if its the phone app itself.
    hmm, yeah, hate it when the ROM apps like "Phone" show up as the cause

Was your data connection active when the call came in? RSS Reader (or Java) would be my guess if it's a software conflict problem. Did you upgrade from another device (like the 600)? Probably should try a hard reset, with nothing installed or synced (no contacts, zippo), and see if you can reproduce it

I have had much problems with versamail after setting up my gmail account. Initally was resetting on GET of my gmail account. 1st fixed with creating new gmail account. Then would reset every time I ran versamail. I fixed by using hotsync conduit to delete mail accounts then syncing treo. Now I am trying snappermail
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    I wonder if setting up Versamail is screwing everything up. I have not had one reset on my Cingular 650, but I have not touched Versamail. I love Chatter too much. I have installed Verichat and Chatter ( used them both alot). Used Voice Dialer and internet alot, made many calls and been using Moto 820 without incident.
  17.    #17  
    That 00000000000 thing with the voice mail has happened like 20 times for me also.. Mine also dialed some international numbers as well
    Same error whether the data connection is active or not. I just started with Cingular. No upgrade. I have a palm tungsten, but I installed the new desktop software and made a new profile to use. How do I do a hard reset? The button in the battery compartment doesn't reset everything. Do I uninstall everything manually? everything that isn't locked?
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Hold the phone off button down while depressing the button in the battery compartment, then let go of the phone off button and you should then be able to press the Dpad up key to hard reset. Page 169 in the manual in case you're interested. Are you using Versamail?

yes I am using versamail. I have it setup to autosync three accounts. I just turned off autosync on all of them. trying a soft reset. I'll report back.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast