1.    #1  
    Talked to Cingular today. Sales, not Customer Service. I'll call them tomorrow. Here's where I am at and what I've figured. I have a Nokia 6430i GAIT phone with Cingular Nation 200 for $39.95 mo, my contract expires this June 13th, and I'm eligible for a phone upgrade. I would want an unlocked 650, for obvious reasons. If I got the phone from Cingular, I believe I could have the cost split over time on my phone bill. This is important to me. The price of unlocked Treo 650's purchased outright are beyond me for the forseeable future and I don't want to put it on a credit card either. If anyone knows about that please post a reply. Thanks. Now, they have a Cingular Nation 250 plan, same thing I have now but 50 extra minutes and at $29.99mo, $10.00 less than I'm paying now. There would be a $36.00 activation fee. For unlimited Data service (GPRS/EDGE), they want $39.99mo. So my monthly bill would be about $70.00. Not too bad with the Data service. I am told also that the Treo 650 could be used as a dial-up modem with my Thinkpad T42 using a proprietary USB cable. Presumably I could use my existing Earthlink account (anybody know?), for those times when there isn't even a phone line available. The lady said that if I bought an unlocked Treo 650, they would charge me $25.99 for a SIM and there would be NO contract required! That alone, the freedom of not being tied in for 2 years or paying a fee to get out would make it so sweet. And again, the obvious reasons..what if I want to switch carriers? The Treo would be an expensive digital paperweight. I know that T-Mobile will unlock their phones for a $50.00 fee, does anybody know about Cingular? Does anybody know of any software/method of unlocking them if I can't persuade Cingular to sell me an unlocked one? If Cingular says they only sell locked 650's, is there some person, some department that could 'authorize' a sale? They have to get them unlocked to be able to put their SIM's in, no? I just spent all my mad money on a laptop & accessories, my Nokia is not so great phone and it's time for a change (maybe carriers even). Anyway, I could really put a Treo to good use everyday. One last thing, is there anything else that anyone would care to add about rates, plans, fees, hidden fees, questions to ask of Cingular, I would very much appreciate a reply. Maybe from my questions someone else will learn something useful as well.
    Peace,
    ~Son4ta
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Some of this is covered in the sticky thread on unlocked phones in the Treo 650 Hardware forum, but:

"I know that T-Mobile will unlock their phones for a $50.00 fee, does anybody know about Cingular?"

T-Mo will unlock for free if you call after 3? 6? months of paying bills on time. Pre-merger Cingular used to unlock if you called after the contract was up. There are reports of people having received unlock codes from Cingular for their Treo 650s already, so there are ways of harrassing the unlock department at Cingular to get the code. (And yes, the code is specific to each phone, so no generic code you find online will work.)

"Does anybody know of any software/method of unlocking them if I can't persuade Cingular to sell me an unlocked one?"

There are third party unlocking services, who will unlock any phone for a fee. Search online.

"If Cingular says they only sell locked 650's, is there some person, some department that could 'authorize' a sale? They have to get them unlocked to be able to put their SIM's in, no?"

No. They're locked at the factory and arrive at the shops without a SIM, so Cingular would only have Cingular-locked phones available. The only way to get an unlocked phone right now is via PalmOne, and from the gray market.
    - pc
    According the the user The Truth, Cingular's policy is that they will give you the unlock code after 90 days. But I believe he mentioned that they may adopt AT&T's policy to never give out the unlock code. In any case, he managed to talk Cingular out of the unlock code and his Treo 650 is now unlocked (via the code, not a hack.)
    See this post and the ones before it.
    So you may want to ask him a little more on this. Of course you can always call Cingular and ask them their policy on giving out the unlock code for phones. I'd call several times and make sure you a consistent story.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I never paid for a T-mobile unlock and I don't expect to pay Cingular. (Also i never paid for a sim card either). I know Cingular well enough to know that I am going to have my two phones unlocked by the end of this month. Four P's with Cingular Persuasive, Patient, Persistant and most of all Pleasant.