1.    #1  
    Engadget reports on unlocking the T650 GSM. I've seen this discussed on this forum in the past... some have said that it didn't work and a couple of you have said that it did. Anyone here with first hand experience? I'd like to get my hands on a Cingular branded 650 and unlock it without having to pay the additional $50 for the unlocking service. I'd prefer to stick with T-Mo . If the unlock code works, then that would be awesome.
    Here's the orginal post in the comments of engadget article:

Reply to martin cohen:

Holy ****, yep, works like a charm. Never seen an unlocking sequence that easy, but I entered it into the phone app on my Treo 650 (had it for 2 days, thank you AT&T) and got a wonderful "SIM lock removed from phone" message.

So kiss my a**, Cingular. EVERYONE: start posting this info everywhere you know: Unlocking code for the GSM Treo 650 is: *#*#1234# and then the center D-pad button.
    Anyone actually confirm this? I severely doubt it could actually be that easy...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE UNLOCK CODE DOES NOT WORK.

I have a cingular treo 650 & a t mobile sim card. I get the message stating that the sim lock HAS NOT been removed when I tried it!

I'm sure its just a matter of weeks till a real unlocking solution
    The same thing happened a year ago with the SIM locked GSM Treo600's. No matter what number you entered, you got the "SIM lock removed from phone" message, but only the correct number for your IMEI actually did unlock the phone. The only way to tell if a GSM Treo600 was really unlocked was to try a different company's SIM in it.

Bill S
  5.    #5  
    That's what I thought. I called one of the local unlock guys, and he told me that unlocking a Cinular branded T650 could take up to 5 business days and cost me $50. I was wondering why it would've taken him that long if that unlock code posted on Engadget was the real deal. Oh well, guess I'll be waiting a little longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik
    I CAN CONFIRM THAT THE UNLOCK CODE DOES NOT WORK.

I have a cingular treo 650 & a t mobile sim card. I get the message stating that the sim lock HAS NOT been removed when I tried it!

I'm sure its just a matter of weeks till a real unlocking solution
    When I tried it the first time, I had the radio off, I got the same message "Sim lock HAS NOT been removed". I then turned on the radio and did the code again. The second time I got a "Sim lock HAS been removed" message.

I have not tried another non-cingular SIM on it. I'll have to borrow a friends SIM to test it.