1.    #1  
    I just switched from a Sprint 600 to a Cingular 600 (temporarily until my 650 GSM arrives) and I've noticed a big difference. My Sprint 600 would stay connected all day long (grey arrows most of the day). So when I'd pop into Chatter, or run DirAssist, etc. the net was always ready to go. With the Cingular GSM unit the arrows are always green (when connected), but very often when I go to check mail, get my rss feeds etc. I have to first reconnect to the network. Why won't the my Cingular 600 keep my network 'nailed up'?

Dunc
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I have not gotten any clear answer from Cingular or anyone else about whether or not you data time/usage is also using minutes. I personally don't want my data connection on all the time for fear of getting a $1000 cell bill. I've asked four different Cingular reps and gotten two opposing answers (yes and no - they also don't know crap about how EDGE works related to your usage plan). If you find out the answer to that question while researching this one, I'd love to know!!
    Vince
    I'd be *very* interested in hearing more about this problem. I currently have a Treo 270 with T-Mobile, and it has been a chronic problem for me. I have a Cingular Treo 650 on back-order from PalmOne -- but if I'm likely to have the same problem with Cingular, I'll want to think seriously about switching to Sprint instead!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Dana,
    Are you asking about having to reconnect or about data usage related to minutes? Personally, I was lucky enough to get through the system and keep my Media Works package, so I have unlimited usage. I also have EDGE speed connection (so apparently it works regardless of the plan you are on), so the reps were way off base on that one. I never go over my minutes, so frankly I don't know if they are charging my connection time against my package or not. Reconnecting is not a hassle for me. Disconnecting is easy. Either way, it hasn't been a problem as much as an enigma. I'd probably be a lot more concerned about it if I consistently went over my minutes.
    Vince
  5.    #5  
    I have Mediaworks, and I have a boat load of minutes. I'm not worried about data being charged to my airtime. I want my connection to stay up all the time, like it did with Sprint. But it is continually disconnecting and only reconnecting when I re-enter a data app. It kind of defeats the function of IM and IMAP w/ Idle...

Dunc
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Here's a thought...
    Could you perhaps be momentarily losing your signal? When I go through a dead spot, I lose my connection, even if it only lasts a few seconds - just like dropping a call. More difficult to tell would be whether you are very close to the edge of your GPRS or EDGE service area making it easy to lose your connection without actually losing your cell signal, itself...
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Dana,
    Are you asking about having to reconnect or about data usage related to minutes?
    Vince
    I was asking about having to reconnect. If I haven't used the network in a while, Blazer frequently (maybe about 1/4 of the time) has problems creating a data connection. I generally can fix the problem if I turn my network connection off and on again, but that's quite a pain.

This is on a Treo 270 with T-Mobile (and for those who know the difference between T-zones and their data service, I have the latter). I've been assuming the problem has to do with limitations in T-Mobile's coverage, but have no idea whether that's the real reason or not.