Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I have been getting consistent really fast speeds and signal everywhere I go. The only problem I have is sometimes late at night in my apartment, I can have trouble connecting...

ok I'm connected again and I'm getting

375kbit/sec
    3.215s latency
    7.691s d/l time

sometimes I get unstable/too fast a result. And I made sure I turned BT off to make sure it wasn't connecting through my computer.

can this be right??

Pages like amazon.com take about 20 secs, image heavy pages like ebgames or psp.ign.com take a little over a minute to complete, But are totally usable in the first 10-15 secs, I never though it would be this fast.
    Seems really high since according to Palm, the treo is capable of speed up to 175 kbps..... oh well, who cares, it goes fast for you and that's what counts

What about trying a page like that ( probably not in "Optimized mode"):
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp
    Check your speed there.
    I always found dslreports.com results not consistent.
    When I can connect, I do get Edge speeds in NYC,
    but I'm not able to connect about 50% of the time!
    (even when I have a good phone signal)
    At least with T-Mobile, I was able to connect more
    like 90% of the time.
    Does anyone else have this problem in NYC?
    I gave up with Cingular, they can't get their stuff straight (billing, plan, towers in NYC...). I'm sticking with T-Mo right now and hopefully EDGE will come sometimes this year.
    Interesting. My wife and I have been thinking about switching out from Verizon (after 7 years). The primary reason is her. She wants a cool phone (like one of those slick sliders). Sprint and Verizon offer a$$ for phones (except the Treo, of course).

Since our folks live on Long Island we thought Cingular would be better than T-Mo. Although, I hear conflicting reports.

I thought Cingular would have better coverage in NYC but case and point: I was at the Whole Foods dowstairs in the Time Warner center and was shocked at what I saw and heard. I never get any Verizon service down there and the register clerked confirmed this also. But, Sprint and T-Mobile get full bars throughout the store, which is under a gazillion tons of concrete. Cingular, a huge disappointment, like Verizon gets barely anything.

While I think we'll end up sticking with Verizon (in the end their CS rocks!), it was interesting to see these findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Interesting. My wife and I have been thinking about switching out from Verizon (after 7 years). The primary reason is her. She wants a cool phone (like one of those slick sliders). Sprint and Verizon offer a$$ for phones (except the Treo, of course).

Since our folks live on Long Island we thought Cingular would be better than T-Mo. Although, I hear conflicting reports.

I thought Cingular would have better coverage in NYC but case and point: I was at the Whole Foods dowstairs in the Time Warner center and was shocked at what I saw and heard. I never get any Verizon service down there and the register clerked confirmed this also. But, Sprint and T-Mobile get full bars throughout the store, which is under a gazillion tons of concrete. Cingular, a huge disappointment, like Verizon gets barely anything.

While I think we'll end up sticking with Verizon (in the end their CS rocks!), it was interesting to see these findings.
    NYC is a "shared" market for Cingular and T-Mobile in NYC. Until Cingular bought ATTWS, Cingular was roaming on T-Mo's towers.... slowly Cingular will use ATTWS network.
    Cingular CS is a joke compared to T-Mobile .... Try to call 1-866-CINGULAR a Sunday (or weekdays after 9PM) and you will see what I mean.
    I never dropped a call in 13 months with T-Mo in NYC.
    Stay with Verizon if it works for you.... CDMA is not an option for me.
    Last edited by brightcell; 02/22/2005 at 02:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    like 90% of the time.
    Today (2/23) I've been receiving slower speeds in my office in Midtown, and I also have been unable to connect even with a good signal. I receive much faster speeds in my apartment on the UWS.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    I never dropped a call in 13 months with T-Mo in NYC.
    Im surprised to say I have full signal everywhere I go with cingular running on att towers, and no dropped calls. It's quite amazing actually. My sidekick with t-mobile had terrible service, I usually had good signal but it used to drop calls all the time. Even worse if I was talking to another t-mobile customer
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    like 90% of the time.
    Only late at night do I sometime have problems connecting, hasn't happened recently though.

with t-mobile I was alwase connected, but man in the time it took to go to a web page, I could have tried to reconnect to cingular 8 time and then still download the page faster.
    Got to Whole Foods at the Time Warner Center. Your streak will be over.

Im surprised to say I have full signal everywhere I go with cingular running on att towers, and no dropped calls.
    Different places, different experiences .... T-Mobile has been good with me so far; I'm staying with them. The day, I am not getting good service, I will look for another carrier. No feelings what so ever.

I tested for 3 weeks a phone with Cingular; the calls were good but CS was a pain to deal with. They even cannot tell me if my contract was for 1 or 2 years ( I signed up for an 1-year contract on Amazon) .... I guess everything get clearer after the 30 days trial
    Same attitude with the data plan and what is included (sms and mms).

Since everything is done by phone, I can't prove anything if something goes wrong and then ... I would be stuck for 2 years with them.
    When I call CS about my account, I need answers not "maybe".... therefore they lost me.

I am not comparing Cingular to T-Mobile; I am just saying to pick the carrier that works for YOU.
    Evildead, enjoy your fast data speed ... I would have loved to do so with Cingular if they would have been more straight forward with my business.

Cheers
    What about trying a page like that ( probably not in "Optimized mode"):
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp
    Check your speed there.
    I always found dslreports.com results not consistent.
    that test does not seem to work in blazer or Xiino
    that test does not seem to work in blazer or Xiino
    Weird.
    It works fine with Blazer at my home using my cable connection via BT.
    Only late at night do I sometime have problems connecting, hasn't happened recently though.

with t-mobile I was alwase connected, but man in the time it took to go to a web page, I could have tried to reconnect to cingular 8 time and then still download the page faster.
    evildead, the only thing I can think of that would cause you to have connection problems late at night is some sort of work on the network. Late at night is when much of the things are done that will effect the customer experience over a large area - that an weekends. If the network needs to go down, that is the the best time to do it.
    Treo 650 GSM
    so how can you tell what kind of sim I currently have?? can you do a test on your phone??
    How can i tell which SIM I have - it is blue, says ATT Wireless on it and has bunch of rows of numbers but none say 64 or 32k?
    Weird.
    It works fine with Blazer at my home using my cable connection via BT.
    blazer tells me this time that there is not enough memory available on the device, I have 8.3 megs available, weird.

Xiino doesn't have the javascript ability to do I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhartman
    How can i tell which SIM I have - it is blue, says ATT Wireless on it and has bunch of rows of numbers but none say 64 or 32k?
    There are no Blue 64K SIM cards. It is a 32K card. Also I think the 64K SIMs say 64K on them.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    There are no Blue 64K SIM cards. It is a 32K card. Also I think the 64K SIMs say 64K on them.
    So which is the better one to have: the blue one or the 64K one? My Cingular rep tells me the only difference b/w the 64 and 32 is the type of roaming - does size really matter?
    What do you want to know exactly?

I also have the same SIM as you and I would not have much to gain from using an Orange 64K SIM. You on the other had may be better or worse of with one (Actually my data speeds might go down if I was on the Orange 64K, but I don't want to get into that for me).

Where are you located?
    Do you know if AT&T or Cingular had better coverage in your area?
    Do you know if AT&T (Cingular Blue) or Cingular data is faster in your area?
    Do you have any complaints about your current service?

The whole 64K SIM thing is very commonly misunderstood. It does not really apply to roaming, but really what network your phone uses for it's home or prefered network. If you are in a Cingular market with only one network, either the old ATTWS network or the old Cingular network (I know you are not on that), then it would make no difference to you in your home area. If you have both networks present, it allows Cingular to change your home network between the two easier. That is about all it does, besides making room for more SIM applications and more phonebook entries. In less than 2 years, there will only be one Cingular GSM network nation wide with only one network code (currently I think there are at least 3) and your phone will no onlger need the ability to switch between home networks - as there will be only one choice. Until the time comes when there is one combined network, this is what is needed to balance the load between the two networks etc etc...
    Treo 650 GSM
    Last night I downloaded a 1 gig attachment on VersaMail in 1 minute and 40 seconds. How do you compare that time to what this topic is all about?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast