Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freit5
    I have an ATT data plan and use a Sony Edge PC Card GC82. I'm consistently getting 150kbit/sec.

Then I run the same test on my Cingular 650 from the same location and get no better than 70kbit/sec.

Someone explain to me why this is?
    Are you doing the same kind of data speed test on both devices? Are you using the same SIM for both devices? If not what SIMs are you using? Blue, Orange, 32K, 64K?
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    i get

230 kbit/sec with Xino now, much faster browser in general.

2.904s latency
    9.838s d/l time

200k file
    how is xino? I have never tried it.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm on the Upper West Side, and I have a Cingular 64K SIM card in an unlocked 650. I think EDGE is really fast. It downloads faster than my Treo 600 w/Sprint Vision did.
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    i get
    230 kbit/sec with Xino now, much faster browser in general.
    2.904s latency
    9.838s d/l time
    200k file

Awesome speed.
    I was going through the user guide yesterday and found (page 205 - Specifications):
    Radio: EDGE up to 170 kbps

I thought the 650 was class 10, isn't supposed to be faster than 170 kbps ?
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    how is xino? I have never tried it.
    it's soooo much faster than blazer, it fly's, I cant even use blazer now cuz it's so slow compared to Xiino. The only things i miss from blazer are the option for the widescreen viewing mode, i really miss that, and I think I like the interface better in blazer.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Can you only access EDGE when you log in to Media Net? Blazer does not use EDGE?
    what do you mean log into media net? I have the 19.99 unlimited media works plan and as long as I am connected to GPRS I get edge speeds.

Blazer uses edge but for some reason Xiino is so much faster.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If you install Xiino, can you delete the Blazer software?
    I don't think so, I think it's in the ROM, but I could be wrong. On a sprint phone you can with shadowmite's (spelling?) custom ROM thing I think
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Can you only access EDGE when you log in to Media Net? Blazer does not use EDGE?
    What do you mean " Blazer does not use EDGE" ? The application does not control if your phone uses EDGE or GPRS. An EDGE device uses EDGE if it is available on the network.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have the $19.99 Media Net plan also, but when I select the Web, it defaults to the Media Net home page and I have to log in every time. That's why I was thinking that I only get EDGE when I log into Media Net. BTW, I am demo'ing Xiino and it is fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I have the $19.99 Media Net plan also, but when I select the Web, it defaults to the Media Net home page and I have to log in every time. That's why I was thinking that I only get EDGE when I log into Media Net. BTW, I am demo'ing Xiino and it is fast!
    Just change your homepage and you won't see the Media Net page anymore.
    (Blazer/Menu/Options/Preferences/Page tab)
    You can either change "Start with" and pick another site or change your homepage.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I just did a test on dslreports.com with my unlocked Cingular T650, and my result was 105KB/sec.
    That's okay. Now select wap mode 5K and retest a couple of times. What do you get?
  15.    #55  
    So I got my unlocked 650 put in my 32K SIM and needless to say I was not getting EDGE but I can now run all tests verses only running one or two with the V551.

So I went into a Cingular store in another attempt to upgrade my 32K to a 64K SIM (without having to pay $25) but this time I went with a different approach as Brightcell had mentioned and was able to get it!!! So I figured I知 half way there and I asked the agent if I could also be switched to the blue network and said that this cannot be done.

One block away from the store I ran a test and was surprised to be getting over 100 kbps, I was ecstatic. I went back to work and ran more tests at my desk and I知 back to 30 kbps, the same spot where I used a co-worker痴 AT&T SIM and got 114 kbps.

So it seems I can roam on the blue network but will mostly stay on orange.
    I called CS in an attempt to switch my network but with no luck.

I知 curious, the people who are getting EDGE speeds are you (AT&T) Cingular customers?
    Quote Originally Posted by joesdeli
    So I got my unlocked 650 put in my 32K SIM and needless to say I was not getting EDGE but I can now run all tests verses only running one or two with the V551.

So I went into a Cingular store in another attempt to upgrade my 32K to a 64K SIM (without having to pay $25) but this time I went with a different approach as Brightcell had mentioned and was able to get it!!! So I figured I知 half way there and I asked the agent if I could also be switched to the blue network and said that this cannot be done.

One block away from the store I ran a test and was surprised to be getting over 100 kbps, I was ecstatic. I went back to work and ran more tests at my desk and I知 back to 30 kbps, the same spot where I used a co-worker痴 AT&T SIM and got 114 kbps.

So it seems I can roam on the blue network but will mostly stay on orange.
    I called CS in an attempt to switch my network but with no luck.

I知 curious, the people who are getting EDGE speeds are you (AT&T) Cingular customers?
    Glad you got your new SIM !
    I am having the same results with my Cingular SIM. I try it somewhere I get around 80-100 kbps, walk few blocks away and it's back on Orange with speeds around 30-40 kbps.
    I think it's going to take a long time before getting an uniform and complete access to Blue towers in NYC.

I still have my T-Mobile sim and pay only $4.99 for an average and pretty constant speed of 35-40 kbps (everywhere !) so I think I will wait for T-Mobile EDGE deployment.

Good luck on Cingular !!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    That's okay. Now select wap mode 5K and retest a couple of times. What do you get?
    I tried what you suggested, and my result was 1kb/sec.
    That's a little too low. I get 5kbps in Wap mode on the v551, and 11kbps on the pocket PC phone.

wap is low speed. Don't worry. Your html test showed 105k, which is pretty good for the treo on GPRS/EDGE
    I have been getting consistent really fast speeds and signal everywhere I go. The only problem I have is sometimes late at night in my apartment, I can have trouble connecting...

ok I'm connected again and I'm getting

375kbit/sec
    3.215s latency
    7.691s d/l time

sometimes I get unstable/too fast a result. And I made sure I turned BT off to make sure it wasn't connecting through my computer.

can this be right??

Pages like amazon.com take about 20 secs, image heavy pages like ebgames or psp.ign.com take a little over a minute to complete, But are totally usable in the first 10-15 secs, I never though it would be this fast.
    Last edited by evildead; 02/18/2005 at 01:07 AM.
    I've had the service for a little over a week and have never seen a speed greater than 30 kbps. Total ****e, I really wish I had stayed with Tmo now.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast