Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well Joe, my results are pretty consistent when you take things like traffic and signal strength into account. As I amy have mentioned before, the smaller the file size used in the test the less accurate I think it is likely to be. Also I am on the Blue netowrk if I did not mention this before. I test on the Orange network too though, and the speeds are consistant there as well from my experience. I am using the 200K speed test on dslreports.com/mspeed

I still say try to get a 64K SIM and have the home netowrk set to Blue. Do a search others on this forum have been able to get it changed. You just may need to get to a higher level in care where they actually know what you are talking about. Not likely anyone at the first level will be able to help.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by joesdeli
    I'm not putting too much faith into these WAP speed tests anymore.

I originally was using www.dslreports.com/mpseed - WAP 5K test and getting @ 6 kbps. Now I'm using http://wapspeed.com and I'm getting speeds I would expect from GPRS averaging around the high 20's to 30's kbps. The results were all over the map from 6 kbps to over 40 kbps. One thing that is consistent is that these tests do not work well with my phones (A56I and V551), especially with the larger file tests.

As helpermonkey has mentioned I'm probably locked to the Orange (t-mo) network and will not get EDGE speeds until the Orange and Blue networks are finally integrated (hopefully in a couple of months) or I am able to get a properly configured 64K SIM.

I am curious if people will get consistent results on their phones from these sites because I certainly am not.
    I am in the exact situation.
    Got a V551 with 64K sim on Cingular (in NYC) with MediaWorks and ONLY the 5K test works for me on www.dslreports.com/mpseed.
    I am getting around 30 to 40 kbps (similar results with my T-Mobile SIM on a T610 (not EDGE)).
    Clearly I am roaming on T-Mobile while using Cingular.
    I wish I could change the network selection manually but the 64K SIM hides the menu (tested it on my unlocked T610).

I really sucks because I am expecting my unlocked Treo 650 on Monday and I am trying Cingular for its supposed EDGE data speed .....

What should I do now ?
    . Stay with T-Mobile (expired contract), sign up for T-Mobile Internet ($19.99) and wait for EDGE to be deployed in NYC ?
    . Switch to Cingular (new contract) and hope to be on AT&T towers soon or later to get EDGE ?

What are you going to do Joesdeli ?
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    Got a V551 with 64K sim on Cingular (in NYC) with MediaWorks and ONLY the 5K test works for me on www.dslreports.com/mpseed.
    I am getting around 30 to 40 kbps (similar results with my T-Mobile SIM on a T610 (not EDGE)).
    I wish I could change the network selection manually but the 64K SIM hides the menu (tested it on my unlocked T610).

I really sucks because I am expecting my unlocked Treo 650 on Monday and I am trying Cingular for its supposed EDGE data speed .....

What should I do now ?
    . Stay with T-Mobile (expired contract), sign up for T-Mobile Internet ($19.99) and wait for EDGE to be deployed in NYC ?
    . Switch to Cingular (new contract) and hope to be on AT&T towers soon or later to get EDGE ?

Please read the thread. I think I have responded several times with useful information. You are assuming incorrectly that ATTWS network does not have EDGE. I do not know of any ATTWS network that did not have EDGE deployed (unless possibly the market was a recent aquisition by them) before the merger.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Please read the thread. I think I have responded several times with useful information. You are assuming incorrectly that ATTWS network does not have EDGE. I do not know of any ATTWS network that did not have EDGE deployed (unless possibly the market was a recent aquisition by them) before the merger.
    What makes you think I said that from my post ?
    I am aware that ATTWS network has EDGE but in NYC and that's exactly why I am testing Cingular right now.
    Unfortunately in NYC, with Cingular, you may be "roaming" on Blue or T-Mobile towers.... if I could manually select ATTWS as my home network, I would be getting EDGE speed without any doubt. Sadly I don't ....because I am roaming on T-MO.
    I will let you know how it goes for me, I should be getting my 650 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I will let you know how it goes for me, I should be getting my 650 today.
    Sweet !
    Tomorrow is THE DAY for me
    However, I don't see how it's going to be different than with my V551 since the SIM is the culprit
    Have fun with your new toy and let us know.
  7.    #27  

What should I do now ?

I think you are probably in a slightly better position since you already have a 64K SIM, I still have a 32K SIM.

As helpermonkey has mentioned the 64K SIM can be configured to use the blue (attws) towers as their home preference and thereby get EDGE but as I have mentioned in my previous posts I have not been able to convince any Cingular CS agent to upgrade me to a 64K SIM let alone have them switch my home network to blue.

I should be getting my UNLOCKED Treo 650 either Monday or Tuesday (via USPS, currently in Edison NJ) and play around with the GPRS to see if it is acceptable with what I currently have. I want to check if I can run some of the other speed tests on the Treo 650 that I have not been able to do with my other phones. Also I want to see if I can manually switch networks with my unlocked Treo.

If my data speeds are unacceptable, I will either patiently want until the orange and blue networks are completely integrated or again attempt to convert to a 64K SIM set to the blue network as my home preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by joesdeli

As helpermonkey has mentioned the 64K SIM can be configured to use the blue (attws) towers as their home preference and thereby get EDGE but as I have mentioned in my previous posts I have not been able to convince any Cingular CS agent to upgrade me to a 64K SIM let alone have them switch my home network to blue.

I should be getting my UNLOCKED Treo 650 either Monday or Tuesday (via USPS, currently in Edison NJ) and play around with the GPRS to see if it is acceptable with what I currently have. I want to check if I can run some of the other speed tests on the Treo 650 that I have not been able to do with my other phones. Also I want to see if I can manually switch networks with my unlocked Treo.

If my data speeds are unacceptable, I will either patiently want until the orange and blue networks are completely integrated or again attempt to convert to a 64K SIM set to the blue network as my home preference.
    I was all over NYC today and I am not getting EDGE anywhere with my v551 and a 64k Cingular SIM. I went to few stores and call CS to switch my home network to Blue ...without success

I will be getting my unlocked Treo tomorrow and will, like you, try to play with the settings. Unfortunately, I believe that the culprit is actually the SIM not the cell. So I may stay with T-Mo and wait for EDGE to be deployed.... hopefully soon.

Good luck with your tests
    What makes you think I said that from my post ?
    I am aware that ATTWS network has EDGE but in NYC and that's exactly why I am testing Cingular right now.
    Unfortunately in NYC, with Cingular, you may be "roaming" on Blue or T-Mobile towers.... if I could manually select ATTWS as my home network, I would be getting EDGE speed without any doubt. Sadly I don't ....because I am roaming on T-MO.
    brightcell - you are right I read this and incorrectly thought you were saying you hoped ATTWS sites in NYC would have EDGE soon. Sorry.

Aanyway, I have some more info for you two. If you are both getting unlocked 650s, I still don't know that the manula selection option will be available on your phones, since there is an application on the orange SIM that prevents this option from being available. I have seen reports that people have been able to get manual netowrk selection enabled on thier phones, but as with my suggestions to get your home networked switched from Orange to Blue, I am guessing it depends on what CSR you talk to and how persistant you are / how good your story is.

joesdeli - you can't even get a 64K SIM? Just go into a store and buy one for like $4 if they won't give it to you. That should work (or call first if you don't want to go in). If you have to just tell them you are having some problems with your phone and are hoping to try a new SIM, or just that you want to have ENS available on your new phone (that is what the 64K SIM is really for , ENS - Enhanced Network Selection).
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Aanyway, I have some more info for you two. If you are both getting unlocked 650s, I still don't know that the manula selection option will be available on your phones, since there is an application on the orange SIM that prevents this option from being available. I have seen reports that people have been able to get manual netowrk selection enabled on thier phones, but as with my suggestions to get your home networked switched from Orange to Blue, I am guessing it depends on what CSR you talk to and how persistant you are / how good your story is.

joesdeli - you can't even get a 64K SIM? Just go into a store and buy one for like $4 if they won't give it to you. That should work (or call first if you don't want to go in). If you have to just tell them you are having some problems with your phone and are hoping to try a new SIM, or just that you want to have ENS available on your new phone (that is what the 64K SIM is really for , ENS - Enhanced Network Selection).
    Helpermonkey, I will let you know later today about the manual selection... my unlocked Treo 650 is waiting for me at home

joesdeli, helpermonkey is right, just go to any store and tell them you called CS and they recommended you to go to pick up a new SIM (because of reception problems ...for example).
    All my friends got it for free, no questions asked.
    hey all, got my 650 yesterday with new 64k sim. It just activated a few minutes ago, here are my results with blazer using the 200k file at www.dslreports.com/mspeed:

114 kbit/sec

2.165s latency
    16.129s d/l time
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    hey all, got my 650 yesterday with new 64k sim. It just activated a few minutes ago, here are my results with blazer using the 200k file at www.dslreports.com/mspeed:

114 kbit/sec

2.165s latency
    16.129s d/l time
    Is your Treo650 an unlocked version?
    I'm assuming you are using Cingular, do you know if your default network is Orange or Blue?
    Where about in NYC where you getting these speeds?
    no it is cingular locked and branded.

Not really sure, is there a way to check? But I bet you it's blue, it's a billion times faster than my sidekick was.

at work, midtown.
    Did a couple of tests through out the day, sometimes it would go to 56 kbit/sec, 83 kbit/sec. But in real world browsing it is pretty fast and comfortable, I am really surprised at the speed. Was able to look around amazon, and google searches are very very fast even image searches, they start coming up right away.
    Same here !
    Got my unlocked Treo 650 today, I tried first my T-Mobile SIM ( $4.99 T-zones) and it didn't let me connect.
    I, then, used my 64k Cingular SIM ( BTW, I didn't get EDGE with the same SIM and EDGE enabled phone yesterday) .... anyway, on the Treo; it's flying !
    I can browse HTML and WAP sites and I got with the 200k test: 88,95,112 and 85kbit/sec (cache cleared every time).

Another thing, the 64k SIM hides the network selection for the menu.... Doesn't really matter since I am obviously roaming on ATTWS network.

My concern now is tethering. I have the unlimited MW plan, can I expect to be charged per kb for tethering ?

Thanks all !
  16.    #36  
    Same here !
    Got my unlocked Treo 650 today, I tried first my T-Mobile SIM ( $4.99 T-zones) and it didn't let me connect.
    I, then, used my 64k Cingular SIM ( BTW, I didn't get EDGE with the same SIM and EDGE enabled phone yesterday) .... anyway, on the Treo; it's flying !
    I can browse HTML and WAP sites and I got with the 200k test: 88,95,112 and 85kbit/sec (cache cleared every time).

Another thing, the 64k SIM hides the network selection for the menu.... Doesn't really matter since I am obviously roaming on ATTWS network.

My concern now is tethering. I have the unlimited MW plan, can I expect to be charged per kb for tethering ?

Thanks all !
    brightcell, that's great new.
    I'm hoping to get my unlocked treo tomorrow and then I'll give it a try with my 32k SIM if I don't get EDGE speeds I'll attempt again to exchange my 32k for a 64k using a different approach as you had mentioned.
    Update....
    I am able to connect on T-Mobile with T-zones ($4.99) at aroung 40kbit/sec... ( T-Mobile internet being default connection in Network settings, I didn't realize that t-zones was available).
    I may stay with T-Mobile since Cingular can't beat my plan.
    Good luck Joesdeli !
    I have an ATT data plan and use a Sony Edge PC Card GC82. I'm consistently getting 150kbit/sec.

Then I run the same test on my Cingular 650 from the same location and get no better than 70kbit/sec.

Someone explain to me why this is?
    I have a Cingular Branded 650 and I get from 80 to 130 kbit/sec. I just got my unlocked 650 today and now have to decide if I should stay with Cingular with my cingular 650, keep Cingular for the EDGE and use my unlocked 650, or go back to TMob with my unlocked 650...After these fast speeds, going backward may be tough.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    i get

230 kbit/sec with Xino now, much faster browser in general.

2.904s latency
    9.838s d/l time

200k file
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast