1.    #1  
    It has been mentioned to me that I could sign up for unlimited mMode (24.99/month) and use my unlocked GSM 650 and side step the unlimited mobile internet plan (44.99) by not telling at&t. However, I remember reading a post that an at&t cutomer upgraded his firmware on a data device and the system recognized and acknowledged the upgrade. Which leads me to believe at&t can tell if you're using a crappy mMode phone or a more capable pda on their data network and will charge accordingly.

http://www.attwireless.com/midtolarg...obileinternet/
    If you go to the page linked regarding mMode conditions and look at condition #3 you will read:

"Available for eligible voice/data handsets only. Unlimited refers only to usage on your device. Connection to another device via cable, Bluetooth or infrared will be charged $0.001/KB."

So if I put in my Nokia 6820 sim into my new treo650 can I expect to see a bunch of data charges on my unlimited mMode plan?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by roonolium; 02/05/2005 at 03:01 PM.
    WOW, im glad i have sprint. $15 a month for unlimitted, bu im sure you know that. sorry to rub it in.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roonolium
    It has been mentioned to me that I could sign up for unlimited mMode (24.99/month) and use my unlocked GSM 650 and side step the unlimited mobile internet plan (44.99) by not telling at&t. However, I remember reading a post that an at&t cutomer upgraded his firmware on a data device and the system recognized and acknowledged the upgrade. Which leads me to believe at&t can tell if you're using a crappy mMode phone or a more capable pda on their data network and will charge accordingly.

If you go to the page linked regarding mMode conditionsvand look at condition #3 you will read:

"Available for eligible voice/data handsets only. Unlimited refers only to usage on your device. Connection to another device via cable, Bluetooth or infrared will be charged $0.001/KB."

So if I put in my Nokia 6820 sim into my new treo650 can I expect to see a bunch of data charges on my unlimited mMode plan?

Any thoughts?
    Perhaps. I've been trying to figure out some of the same issues.

ATTWS has no way to tell whether or not your data is tethered. Data that is used by the phone looks exactly the same as data that is used by a tethered device. So to some extent, their stated policy is a lie.

What they do instead is to watch the ports and protocols that you use. If you use a protocol that is normally used by a phone application, then they don't charge you for it. If, however, you use a protocol that isn't normally used by the phone, then they charge you a dollar a megabyte. At least that's what they do on the $24.99 phone plan.

I don't know how they handle the unlimited data plan for PDAs. I'd really like to know, though. The same principle applies - there is no way for them to tell whether you are using data on the PDA or on a tethered device. So they would have to differentiate in some other manner. But a PDA can have many more protocols in use than a phone normally would. So it seems quite possible that they might really provide a truly unlimited plan for the PDAs. On the other hand, though, they could just take the same approach as with the phone plan - charging extra for any protocol that isn't used by an application that comes built in to the device. Of course, there are lots of PDAs on that plan, so they'd have to take them all into account.

I've asked around in several places, and so far have not found anyone who knows the answer.
    No .... MORE THEN LIKELY NOT if you just do POP3, HTTP or IMAP. I've had no problem since October on 2 different PDA handsets. If you do anything else you more then likely will be billed.

DISCLAIMER: YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by roonolium

If you go to the page linked regarding mMode conditions and look at condition #3 you will read:

Any thoughts?