Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. #41  
    I just thought I'd report on my own experience, which is still unfolding.

    I did a phone order -- had lots of questions that the web couldn't answer, never mind the Media Works issue, such as, "can I order the phone with any new number for the 30-day trial, then port my old number without cost?" The point is that I'm switching from Sprint and want to make sure I'm genuinely happy before I port my old number.

    I would have preferred to pick up the T650 at a store, but it seems the Cingular stores near me don't have it in stock.

    Anyway, I hammered the very nice CSR hard about Media Works unlimited, and he assured me that it was the unlimited service. Of course, we'll see when the phone comes in and what the invoice says, and then what my first monthly bill says. I'll let people know as I learn more.

    One comment about this thread: while some of the posts have been of a hysterical quality (not funny, I mean in the sense in worried), and it sounds like the question hasn't been resolved, I've found it helpful. It at least gives everyone some info to take with them when battling a company for what you want! I'm grateful.

    By the way, I was quoted shipping time as "3-5 business days," so it's at least supposed to be faster than PalmOne or the T|C store (sorry T|C, but I'll be buying the accessories from you). I also decided to deal directly with Cingular because of all my doubts about how all my concerns about the phone and service would be addressed, so I figured I'd not give them the excuse of saying it's another vendor's problem.

    Angel
    -------------
    SprintPCS Treo 600, waiting for Cingular Treo 650
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelFCh
    The point is that I'm switching from Sprint and want to make sure I'm genuinely happy before I port my old number.
    May want to make sure the EDGE is available in CT before switching. Some are reporting that EDGE is not available in NYC.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  3. #43  
    Xeno,

    Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't known that might be a problem.

    I had checked the coverage map, which of course shows solid coverage by EDGE of NYC through the Connecticut shoreline.

    We'll see how accurate the map is. I'll make sure to test my download speeds.

    Thanks again!
    Angel

    SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonymoody
    And to those clinging to the grandfathered argument, remember: a carrier has absolutely positively no obligation to maintain your existing service levels. Check the fine print in your contract - they retain the right to change or terminate any part of your service at any time for any (or no) reason whatsoever. All carriers do.
    Fine... I reserve the right to cancel my contract, pay the ETF, and haul a$$ to Sprint or T-Mo. They play their games, I play mine...

    Todd/Indy
    "clinging to the grandfathered argument"
    "waiting, and waiting... for roadshow GSM 650"
  5. paytonc's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #45  
    For what it's worth, a passage from the Cingular ToS that I just agreed to:

    CHANGES TO TERMS AND RATES - We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your service at any time. We will provide you with notice of such changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roamer rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government’s or our calculations. IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, AS SUCH PRICES ARE SET FORTH IN YOUR RATE PLAN BROCHURE, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE WILL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR EQUIPMENT, OR OTHERWISE) AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE. If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

    Sounds like some notice has to be given in most cases, but a careful (paranoid?) reading notes that the only "decrease" this applies to is geography, not bucket size--although one could construe a higher price for unlimited data to be an increase in price.

    In any luck, the Cingular-paid arbitrators who will "mediate the dispute" will rule in their favor. Oh well--at least I can walk away within 30 days.
    - pc
  6. #46  
    I have heard mixed messages on this issue.. (but not SMS messages

    Does Cingular charge for incoming text messages or just outgoing?
    Charging for incoming seems kinda bad as someone could just spam you with text messages and run up your bill.
    Hotoru
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelFCh
    I just thought I'd report on my own experience, which is still unfolding.

    I did a phone order -- had lots of questions that the web couldn't answer, never mind the Media Works issue, such as, "can I order the phone with any new number for the 30-day trial, then port my old number without cost?" The point is that I'm switching from Sprint and want to make sure I'm genuinely happy before I port my old number.

    I would have preferred to pick up the T650 at a store, but it seems the Cingular stores near me don't have it in stock.

    Anyway, I hammered the very nice CSR hard about Media Works unlimited, and he assured me that it was the unlimited service. Of course, we'll see when the phone comes in and what the invoice says, and then what my first monthly bill says. I'll let people know as I learn more.

    One comment about this thread: while some of the posts have been of a hysterical quality (not funny, I mean in the sense in worried), and it sounds like the question hasn't been resolved, I've found it helpful. It at least gives everyone some info to take with them when battling a company for what you want! I'm grateful.

    By the way, I was quoted shipping time as "3-5 business days," so it's at least supposed to be faster than PalmOne or the T|C store (sorry T|C, but I'll be buying the accessories from you). I also decided to deal directly with Cingular because of all my doubts about how all my concerns about the phone and service would be addressed, so I figured I'd not give them the excuse of saying it's another vendor's problem.

    Angel
    -------------
    SprintPCS Treo 600, waiting for Cingular Treo 650
    I ordered my Treo from a CSR last night as well. She told me the same thing "MW is unlimited internet access"... So we will see...

    BTW I was also quoted 3-5 days but I wouldn't hold your breath. Looking at the status of the order right now it says:

    BACK ORDERED!!!
  8. #48  
    Yeah, I saw that. I also saw that for some reason my order status is showing two phones are on order. Called customer service but the CSR said she couldn't see any detail either yet. Sigh. It's always an adventure, regardless of which carrier you use!
    Angel

    SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  9. #49  
    paytonc,
    Thanks for taking the time to track down that TOS info and quoting it here. It's pretty much the same boilerplate that all carriers use. Note a few things for all interested:

    -They tell you they'll notify you in advance in your billing statement or otherwise. My bill often has inserts that I always ignore (especially if the pricing part of the bill looks 'normal') and sometimes those inserts have 2-point fonts! I'm sure any news of this variety will come in that way.

    -They also tell you that you have 30 days from getting the notice to cancel w/o penalty. So guess what? B/C they send you advance notice, the bill it comes with looks normal (price wise). If you happen to miss the insert with the 2-point font that notifies you of the change then you won't notice any change in service until your next bill which (of course) comes 30 days later - too late to cancel w/o penalty.

    I guess the moral of the story is to actually read the inserts with the 2-point font

    TM
  10. #50  
    This seems like their way of screwing their average customer who will not look at the fine print. I can't get any assurance in writing from Cingular that my MEdia Works is has unlimited Media Net (web), and that it will not change during the 2-year contract.

    I guess the only choice I have left, since I'm in a 30-days trial, is to dump Cingular for uncertainty of terms and intentions.

    Sure I wanted a couple of GSM phones so I can swap them when I need to, but the disadvantages of Cingular "teaser" rates, GPRS data speed, and price of MEdia Works make me want to stay with Sprint and their wonderful Vision Pro plan.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    This seems like their way of screwing their average customer who will not look at the fine print. I can't get any assurance in writing from Cingular that my MEdia Works is has unlimited Media Net (web), and that it will not change during the 2-year contract.

    I guess the only choice I have left, since I'm in a 30-days trial, is to dump Cingular for uncertainty of terms and intentions.

    Sure I wanted a couple of GSM phones so I can swap them when I need to, but the disadvantages of Cingular "teaser" rates, GPRS data speed, and price of MEdia Works make me want to stay with Sprint and their wonderful Vision Pro plan.
    My thoughts were exactly the same so here is what I did: I ordered the phone thru Cingular and questioned the CSR extensively about adding Mediaworks unlimited with EDGE speeds to the 650 for $20. I then got her email and emailed immediately asking her to please add a note to my account stating that I was upgrading my phone with the understanding that part of my new contract was the expectation of being able to use Mediaworks unlimited EDGE speeds on this phone, and stating I intended to be released from the contract should they ever change those terms. I got a reply from her stating she would do so and then promptly printed it out for security.

    THE BOTTOM LINE: when dealing with any CSR telling you anything, get it in writing no matter how you have to do it. Make it easy for them by writing out the terms and then simply asking them to confirm them by email. Then you will avoid the "well sir I'm not sure what they told you and I only have your word to go on". I spent 3 months dealing with the after-effects of advice from 3 hapless CSRs at Cingular trying to fix $1000 roaming charges I should n't have been charged for and which were a direct result of their clueless advice. I had nothing in writing and if it wasn't for the BBB stepping in I'd still be in a mess. In fact, if it wasn't for my wife loving Cingular and wanting to keep her phone, I'd dump them in a heartbeat.
  12. #52  
    doineedatreo,

    Well .. that may give you some peace of mind .. and I hope it does .. but your email is absolutely worthless. The user agreement you agreed to takes precendence over any communication you have with Cingular. It will have no impact on what happens to your rates or service, nor will it be a good defense for you in court. Courts have consistently ruled that due to the easy nature of counterfeiting email they are admissable only when an "expert" can testify to their validity.

    By "in writing" you need to get a signed and dated piece of paper and even that wouldnt take precedence and would be a waste of your time.
  13. #53  
    Look, I'm not planning on using this to take anyone to court. The "peace of mind" that it gives me is that when I file a complaint with the BBB for them not standing up to their end of the bargain that I have a leg to stand on. Cingular may have crappy customer service, but they are fair and when I can show they signed me up for another year based on something that clearly wasn't the case (similar to my roaming charges) they "usually" will do the right thing (especially with the BBB on their back). I have a notation on the account by the CSR and an email and this is about the best I can do. Anybody signing up for these MediaWorks accounts is rolling the dice to some degree. Mine is just a more calculated roll.
  14. #54  
    cingular store is down, wonder what they are updating...
  15. #55  
    Just got off the phone with a Cingular CSR. I called because today was the 3rd business day of "3 to 5 business days" in which I should be getting my Treo 650, and the web was still saying it was backordered. So I called, and politely (really!) expressed my concern that I wasn't going to get it within the time frame they projected. She checked, and said I was order # "negative 3," which meant I was the third person who ordered after they were out of stock. She said 400 were scheduled to be received tomorrow and shipped out.

    So hopefully tomorrow it will be!
    Angel

    SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  16. #56  
    the tracking info is now there -- FedEx will indeed deliver it tomorrow!!!!
    Angel

    SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  17. #57  
    Love your avatar Angel -- got a link to a full size pic of that?
  18. #58  
    Just got off the phone with CSR, Mary. I've had MW for some time now but wanted to add to my husband's line before deadline midnight tonight (I assume). When I asked if she was sure that we who had MW prior to midnight tonight would be grandfathered she chuckled and said she had just gotten out of a meeting this a.m. with this as topic and that YES we would be grandfathered for unlimited. We'll see how all goes and for how long they will honour it. ....... at the end of our very pleasant exchange she assured me that this is the information that had been discussed in the meeting and the MW unlimited would indeed change to MW 3meg tomorrow. Heres HOPING
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Love your avatar Angel -- got a link to a full size pic of that?
    Joebar,

    It's hilarious, isn't it? Many levels of satire! I wish I could say I did find a full-size shot. My sister has a refrigerator magnet of it, about 3" x 1.5". And then I saw it on some web site, can't remember which. I just did a quick Yahoo and Google image search and didn't see anything full-sized. I'd love a real poster of it.
    Last edited by AngelFCh; 02/10/2005 at 09:12 PM.
    Angel

    SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
  20. #60  
    ROTFFL

    "issued by the lard information council"
    http://klishis.com/lard.JPG

    That's the biggest I could find... Maybe someone made it or edited it from something else.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions