Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Silly question maybe, but can you use an unlocked GSM Treo 650 with T-Mobile?
    We'll know that answer as soon as a T-mob user gets their hands on an unlocked Treo.

If you can pursuade P1 to ship my darn unit, I'll be able to tell you.
    Lol....!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Waiting for my P1 unlocked too .. would be handy if someone posts the TMo settings here.

It will be interesting to see if, at least here out west if EDGE works on TMo. TMo is probably still brokered Cingular airtime. I doubt they would have disable EDGE as that would just chew up more over the air-channel capacity for a given amount of data .. we'll see! Hopefully in the next 10 days or so!
    Yes, an unlocked phone will work on Tmo.

No, EDGE will not work with a Tmo sim card, as Tmo has not yet implemented EDGE.
    Any guesses on the EDGE timing for TMo? Someone else speculated only a couple months for NYC.

TM
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    Yes, an unlocked phone will work on Tmo.

No, EDGE will not work with a Tmo sim card, as Tmo has not yet implemented EDGE.
    Well they they piggy back on Cingular for part of the country so they sortof have.

EDGE is really just a better modulation scheme for the GPRS packets .. at least that's the theory on a quiet, not to multipathed channel at least .. it's a function of the radios not the terminating network.

We'll see if Cingular bothered to inhibit it on the capacity they resell to T-Mo out West. Seems like it would be more trouble for them to do this than it's worth!

Cingular were too lazy to even check IMEIs on Treo GPRS sessions to stop them using the MediaWorks phone plan. T-Mo only just got round to shutting down almost free T-Zones on port 80 so there is some precedent for things working that shouldn't!
    I doubt highly that TMO piggybacks onto Cingular highspeed EDGE network.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    There is no such thing as an EDGE network. It's a simple change on the GPRS portion of the GSM standard. It doesn't do anything for voice.

TMo Does not have it's own network in Calif for example, so the buy capacity from Cinguar. In exchange Cinguar buys old VoiceStream capacity back east from TMo. A good way to see where T-Mo really have their own network is to look at the sales site where they sell co-lo space on the towers. None are shown for Caif. Handy if you want to find out where towers are back east though

TMo are supposed to be taking over the Cingular network in Calif as they move to ATT towers. Expect that to take a while!

Here's the how of EDGE enhanced GPRS .. note the data rate is adaptive and it can even swith back to reguar GPRS. It has nothing to do with 3G or a better overall network .. its just a hack to improve data rate on clean GPRS channels. Oh and marketing likes being able to hype it!

http://www.vocal.com/data_sheets/full/edge.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by jekswang
    Silly question maybe, but can you use an unlocked GSM Treo 650 with T-Mobile?
    Back to the OP -- has anyone tried an unlocked GSM Treo 650 with T-Mobile? Good experience? Bad experience?

Bree
    I'm using the unlocked T650 on T-Mobile. Works flawlessly. Reception seems a lot better on the T650 than on my old 600s (I went through 3 before upgrading to the T650). DUN works, no reset problems on this end (just wanted to throw that in although I know it's hard/software related and has nothing to do with the service provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by treomeo
    I'm using the unlocked T650 on T-Mobile. Works flawlessly. Reception seems a lot better on the T650 than on my old 600s (I went through 3 before upgrading to the T650). DUN works, no reset problems on this end (just wanted to throw that in although I know it's hard/software related and has nothing to do with the service provider.
    Are you using T-zones or the $19.99 internet plan? I just bit the bullet and ordered my unlocked today. Figured out I had to change my phone on the my.t-mobile site to a 600 (from SonyEriccson) in order to order the internet plan.

Will have to see how it works. T-mo offered me the 6th month month free ($80 value) if I stayed with them for a year when buying the 650 - to partially compensate for the Cingular subsidy. (Also upping me to the current family plan minutes from my old one, but they would do that anyway). Really would like EDGE though.

*Sigh*

Contract is up in June.
    Anomaly, I'm using the $19.99 unlimited data plan. Thanks for mentioning the 6th month free deal. I should try to hit 'em up for it. The last rep I spoke to said that they're going to s-l-o-w-l-y roll out Edge this year, but gave me no dates. I'll take any bit of EDGE I can :-).
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treomeo
    DUN works, no reset problems on this end (just wanted to throw that in although I know it's hard/software related and has nothing to do with the service provider.
    Funny, except for two problems that were clearly hardware related I've heard nothing but good things from those few who have unbranded P1 units. I'm beginning to think that most of the "bugs" we're hearing about are the result of poorly written code in the service provider's custom ROMs.
    Not at all surprisingly. It seems that carriers are particularly bad at writing code for devices!

Got the email that mine shipped though the status still says back ordered oddly enough...

TM
    Got the email mine shipped today also. So Monday it should on T-Mobile!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Can someone clarify what the difference is between:
    a. Unlimited t-zones for $4.99 includes unlimited Internet e-mail and Mobile Web content.
    b. Unlimited t-zones Pro for $9.99 includes unlimited access to corporate e-mail, Internet e-mail, and Mobile Web content--all right from your phone, any time, anywhere!
    c. The T-Mobile Internet Add On Feature gives you Unlimited T-Mobile Internet access. Use T-Mobile Internet to access your email and browse the Internet no matter where you are, all for $19.99 a month!

I copied and pasted right from T-Mobile plan selections. I want to pick the right plan to get personal email, IM and surf the web.

Thanks!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    t-zones is a simplified web. I believe it's port 80 and that's all. I'm no T-mob expert though.

t-zones pro is web plus integration into your company email, I think.

And the T-mobile internet is all ports open. Which allows you to so FTP, SSH, etc. Whatever from your device. There's also a T-Mobile Internet VPN or something like that which gives you an Internet Accessible IP address for using with your company's VPN.

Currently, I have the $5 T-zones plan. Works for simple web on my Nokia 3595. I will try that with the Treo when it arrives. No doubt, I'll have to opt for the $19.99 plan though. Supposedly, you can set up a proxy to tunnel all your traffic out to the net. I might look into that as well.
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    The $4.99 and the $9.99 are for WAP access and the $19.99 is full internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly
    The $4.99 and the $9.99 are for WAP access and the $19.99 is full internet
    For the novice person, what is the difference? What does WAP stand for? Can I go to TreoCentral using WAP? Stream audio? Download?
    Thanks!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast