Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I just spoke to palm. They said that it's only offered through their website, so there isn't much they can say about it. But they did say that the unlimited data plan has been available through their site for the Treo 600 with Cingular, so they didn't see why it would be a problem.

I called Cingular, and initially the rep said that there was no unlimited data plan for $19.99 available for the Treo 650 (he even chuckled). After I told him the website on palmone offering the $19.99 rate through Cingular he put me on hold, and then came back on the phone and said that it was available, and that it was a promotion that came out today.

Go figure. Bottom line: doesn't look like there will be a problem if you order the Cingular 650 with unlimited data plan.

Think I might cancel my order for an unlocked one that I placed today. Only think I have to figure out now is if it's true that you can eventually (after 6 months) get the 650 unlocked by Cingular. So far the rep says no. Then again, I'm sure a hack will come out eventually. Probably worth the $227 difference and better unlimited internet rate/service.
    "Disclaimer: It is possible that Cingular may not add the MEdia Works plan to your account. If so, other data service plans will be presented to you. "
    I saw this on the TC site yesterday as well.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My T-Mobile connection to the internet is $19.99 per month unlimited.

I like Cingular's coverage, but the locked handset policy and ridiculous wireless data pricing keeps me from switching from T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by siberian
    Or its the sound of everyone who bought an unlocked phone moving to TMobile for $29.99 unlimited internet....
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    My T-Mobile connection to the internet is $19.99 per month unlimited.

I like Cingular's coverage, but the locked handset policy and ridiculous wireless data pricing keeps me from switching from T-Mobile.

ditto for me. and b/c i am self-employed and not some rich CEO who stays rich by charging everything to the company, $700 for an unlocked phone is way out of my reach (logical reach, at least). I was hoping to save money by ebay-ing my Tungsten T3, but that still only saves me $200 or so and I'm still out $500 just to consolidate my devices.. I'll just have to wait til the price becomes more reasonable I guess
    I just got off the phone with Cingular again. After a half an hour of protest, they once again FINALLY agreed that the $19.99 plan through plamone/cingular is valid. And after initially being told that Cingular will NEVER unlock one of the Treo 650s, I insisted that I'd read somewhere on treocentral that Cingular would unlock a phone after 6 months for international use. After waiting on hold for another 10 minutes the rep came back and said that once you're out of contract they would unlock the phone.

So, what's the harm then? May as well switch to Cingular to get $200 off (basically) on the new 650, a better and faster data rate, and a phone that can be unlocked after a year. Not so bad.... Am I missing something? I'm placing my palmone/cingular order right now, and am going to cancel my unlocked order momentarily.
    I ordered a Cingular 650 today from the business sales side. I just ordered the phone, since she said I would have to do the 1yr contract "agreement" at phone activation. I asked if "activation" is really just activating my new SIM (I have a 32k now), and she agreed.

When I saw this thread, I looked at cingular.com and did see the 3MB MEdiaWorks. When I checked the business sales website, it still showed unlimited MW, so I made the changes to my plan (including MW), but also created a PDF of the unlimited MW description. Hopefully, if they try to change me a 3MB or the $40 unlimited, I can throw that back at 'em.

It's sad that customers have to use underhanded or slight-of-hand tactics to keep from taken advantage of by Cingular. If they would look at how ISPs price out broadband and allow "proven" loyal customers to have their phones unlocked, I think Cingular's market share would skyrocket. My view of a "proven" loyal customer is someone who has completed a 2yr contract in good standing and has maintained their service.

I'm still waiting for the service change to be confirmed. Anyway, if they don't stand by it, I have 30days to roll back my plan and return the phone.
    Last edited by cdarsey; 02/04/2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Adding one note...
    If Cingular wants to play games with its customers they will find them lining up at the Sprint store signing up for $15 vision plans.

I've just spent 3 hours with Cingular tech support and conculded they are more idiotic than Sprint tech support. They can't provision a MEdia Works plan to work on an EDGE capable phone. They set it like dialup and it only gets 2~5kbps.

This phone is going back to Cingular store this afternoon. Sprint, here I came again
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    If Cingular wants to play games with its customers they will find them lining up at the Sprint store signing up for $15 vision plans.

I've just spent 3 hours with Cingular tech support and conculded they are more idiotic than Sprint tech support. They can't provision a MEdia Works plan to work on an EDGE capable phone. They set it like dialup and it only gets 2~5kbps.

This phone is going back to Cingular store this afternoon. Sprint, here I came again

Agreed. Cingular has real problems here. I was considering a switch from Sprint to Cing now that they have the 650, but not anymore. Nothing really all that wrong with my Sprint service. I did like the idea, however, of choice of carrier with the GSM version. It's not worth the hastle, however, of dealing w/ Cingular's BS.
    Final update: I just spoke with someone at palm and canceled my unlocked order. I told them about the disclaimer on their final purchase page that said that if the phone ships after plans have changed you may be offered a different plan. He said that that was Cingular's disclaimer and didn't know quite what to make of it. He thinks my phone should ship before 2/11/05 (the date it says the $19.99 mediaworks plan is offered until), so that it shouldn't be a problem, but that if I receive the phone and it doesn't have Mediaworks, the worst case scenario is that I have 14 days to cancel my Cingular service and 30 days to return the treo to palm. I'll post back when I get my phone and activate it to indicate whether Cingular acknowledged the $19.99 mediaworks plan. Crossing my fingers (and feeling that this doesn't bode well for my first experience as a Cingular customer).
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Well I just called and to verify mediaworks staus. Nice lady said it was still unlimited but would be changing "soon". She didn't even ask what type of phone I had so I added it.

It's a feature not part of the real contract so you can always dump it if it won't work on a 650.

I 've ordered one of the unlocked 650's so am going to see how well it works on Cing verses T-Mo ... if it ever shows up .. and it's still at the $599 price!
    I walked into a local Cingular store that carried the T650 hoping to sign-up with the $19.99 Media Works. I was told by the Manager that the Media Works plan does not work with T650 or any of their PDA Phones. I asked her to go to the P1 website to show her that they offered it for the T650. She claims it's a mistake on P1's part. Basically, if I had dumped my $19.99 unlimited data plan with T-Mobile, I would've had to pay $44.95 for their unlimited data service. That's a little too steep for my pocket. Needless to say, I walked out of that store mad and frustrated.

BTW guys, this is my first post here but I've been a long-time lurker (since 2003, when I first got my trusty 'ol T600). I hope that my next post will be on a more positive note... Now, I'm considering going with Sprint, but I hear that data speeds are slower on the CDMA network vs GSM. What's your experience?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treomeo
    I walked into a local Cingular store that carried the T650 hoping to sign-up with the $19.99 Media Works. I was told by the Manager that the Media Works plan does not work with T650 or any of their PDA Phones. I asked her to go to the P1 website to show her that they offered it for the T650. She claims it's a mistake on P1's part. Basically, if I had dumped my $19.99 unlimited data plan with T-Mobile, I would've had to pay $44.95 for their unlimited data service. That's a little too steep for my pocket. Needless to say, I walked out of that store mad and frustrated.

BTW guys, this is my first post here but I've been a long-time lurker (since 2003, when I first got my trusty 'ol T600). I hope that my next post will be on a more positive note... Now, I'm considering going with Sprint, but I hear that data speeds are slower on the CDMA network vs GSM. What's your experience?
    CDMA 1xRTT is faster than GPRS and about the same as EDGE. You should be good to go w/ Sprint, provide you're happy with their voice plan & coverage. Their $15 unlimited data truly cannot be beat.
    Well, TreoMeo, I'm sorry your experience was negative. If you want to you can try another store or activation by phone and you may get MEdia Works; not that MW is such a prize at $19.95.

On the other hand I think the Sprint Vision plan, if you stay in metro areas and don't roam in the sticks, is fabulous.

But when it comes to customer service and tech support rep knowlege, every carrier out there sucks big time. If you can manage to avoid talking with customer service you will be fine anywhere. But that's not easy when you have a Treo 650 or a PPC6601. You will need tech support.
    TonyH,
    I generally agree with you except for one thing. In my (now quite long) experience with TMo, their customer service is excellent and their tech support ranges from good to great. The front line people are ok, and it's easy to be escalated to people who really know what they're doing (I've used them with Treos past and Blackberrys).

Other than the slow data I highly recommend TMo in general.

TM
    Thanks, JoeSam and TonyH. I agree with anthonymoody. I've been with TMo since 2003 and have been satisfied with their customer service. I've had numerous harware problems (I'm on my 3rd T600), and every instance I've had to call them on a problem, they've come through for me. Twice they've replaced my unit without any hassle and if the rep doesn't know the answer to my question, my call is escalated to the next service level. Now that my contract is up and I'm free to go, I think I'd rather find a GSM T600 to unlock (no. I can't afford to shell out the $699) and stick with T-Mo.
    T is not that bad
    max is 48k (generally 35-42k in NYC), like dialup
    and...T data players are the luckiest ppls now, just $19.99 can have internet for desktop (as backup), laptop, pda, and phone (T-Zones)
    about 1XRTT and EDGE, if T will support class 8 or more EDGE, there'll be average 140-160k (240k max, some restriction may apply), faster than 1X, and keep in mind, tethering is OFFICIALLY allowed
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123