1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why Cingular is telling me that I won't be able to use my phone overseas until after I've had an account for 6 months?

Also, can I get around this by purchasing a SIM card overseas, sticking it into the Treo 650, and then making calls while overseas? If so, where do I purchase these SIM cards and how much do they typically cost? Thanx.

- B.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No, its a locked phone.

Basically they are saying 'We will not unlock until your account has aged 6 months'

Thats to payback the subsidy that got you the phone for cheaper.

If you had an unlocked phone you would have paid more but had SIM freedom to go international.

See, when you go global you have to insert a new SIM. The locked phones are 'sim locked' and don't allow this until Cingular gives you the unlock codes.
  3.    #3  
    Thanx. That kills me, as I've signed a 2-year agreement, so obviously I'm going to be a customer of theirs in 6 months. Ggggrrrrrrr...

And, based on what I've seen so far, you can't unlock a 650 yet. http://www.unlockitnow.com seems to be able to do it for a 600 for $75, but not for a 650. Anyone know otherwise?

- B.
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think this thread is confused... That fact that your phone is locked shouldn't have anything to do with being able to use it overseas. It just means that you'll have to pay Cingular's roaming fees, rather than being able to buy a prepaid SIM from the local country and sticking it in the phone.
    I suppose it's possible that Cingular won't let new customers use their phones internationally under the notion that since you have no history with them, there's concern that you could rack up huge fees and not pay them back... But this has nothing to do with the phone being locked or unlocked.