Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I want to buy a 650 the next few days on Cingular, and I want the unlimited data plan. The data plan looks ridiculously expensive, but I will suck it up if I have to.

However, I've noticed a couple of posts around here about how you get their cheaper media works program. I've heard 2 ways of making that work, neither of which I understand much about. So I need your help.

First, I've heard people talk about swapping simm cards. I have no idea what one of these looks like, let alone how to swap them.

Second, I've heard people talk about calling 611. Again, not sure what I say to them once I've called, or what I need to do before I call them in the first place.

If anyone can help me lead me through exactly what might be my best course of action, step by step, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm admittedly clueless about this stuff.

Also, my current phone is some old *** piece of **** Nokia phone that probably isn't even compatible with Media Works, so I don't know if that would effect any strategy. If it has a simm card, I'm not aware of it.

What would you do if you were me? I'll pay for the Treo data plan if I have to, but if there is a cheaper way that doesn't require a ridiculous amount of effort, great.

Thanks in advance.
    I too was in the same boat. My TREO arrives tomorrow. I think if your phone is a GSM phone you will have a SIM card that you remove and put in the new phone although I too have never done this. I called the 611 and had to speak with a rep and told her I wanted to sign up for the media works plan for 19.99. It was no problem. No questions asked. I have no idea what the difference is between the 19.99 plan and the other crazy one they are trying to sell unlimited for 79.99. Hopefully we can get some more info from those who are more knowledgeable.
  3.    #3  
    I don't believe my phone is a GSM phone, so I don't have a sim card. Need someone to basically tell me where to start from scratch. Hope others can help us.
    detach your case, and remove the battery. You should see a tiny small square sim card in there if you have a gsm phone. You would then just take the small card out and put it in your treo.

plug and play.
    Look under the battery for the Sim card. It is a couple of centimeters long, and should be white on the side you can see. You can remove it by hand and see the gold electronics on the other side.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  6.    #6  
    There is nothing underneath my battery except a Nokia sticker with bar codes and stuff on it. No sim card under the battery that I can see. It is a p.o.s phone, a couple years old. What are my options? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shag
    There is nothing underneath my battery except a Nokia sticker with bar codes and stuff on it. No sim card under the battery that I can see. It is a p.o.s phone, a couple years old. What are my options? Thanks.

Shag, I'm in the same boat. Here's my take on what you and I have to do. My level of confidence in what I'm about to say is 85%. I'm hoping others will correct me if I'm wrong. So here goes...

You have a TDMA phone, like I do. What they mean by "swapping SIM cards" is that basically, we should call ATTWS or Cingular, and get them to send us a free or very cheap ($29.99 or something) GSM phone along with the $19.99 mobile Internet Plan. When ATTWS or Cingular sends us the new GSM phone, a SIM card will be included with it and we'll be able to get on the Internet with that phone and SIM card. Then when we get our Treo 650 GSM phone, we take the SIM card out of the cheapie GSM phone and put it in our Treo 650 GSM phone. The phone's "characteristics" and the plan's "features" go with the SIM card, not the phone. By putting the SIM card in our Treo 650, you and I "should" be able to get the $19.99 mobile Internet plan and ATTWS or Cingular wouldn't know the difference. By getting an unlocked phone (probably for more $$), we'll be able to use the phone on any GSM provider's network.

Let's see how I did. Responses/corrections anyone?
    Now the Media Works plan is only for WAP traffic, right? If you do PPTP or IPSEC you'll get billed out the rear?
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for your response. That helps some, but I'm not all the way there yet. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

Okay, my current phone is on Cingular and I already have a phone plan for it. So do I just try to have them switch me over to a GSM phone, have them add on the 19.99 Internet plan?

Let me see if I have this straight.

1) I switch over to a GSM phone and I add the Media Works plan for 19.99.

2) Next, I order the Treo 650 over the net, but buy no plan along with it, forfeiting any chance for a rebate.

3) I switch the sim card from my GSM phone into the Palm 650. Voila! I've got a working Palm 650 and am paying only 19.99 a month for an unlimited data plan.

Am I missing something? For some reason I think I am. Thanks.
  10.    #10  
    Jaki. I have no idea what that means. Translation please? Don't know this WAP, PPTP, IPSEC lingo. Also, do you forfeit any edge techonology or give up anything by going this route?

More information the better. I don't want to go through all of this trouble only to be screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shag
    Jaki. I have no idea what that means. Translation please? Don't know this WAP, PPTP, IPSEC lingo. Also, do you forfeit any edge techonology or give up anything by going this route?

More information the better. I don't want to go through all of this trouble only to be screwed.
    Basically the issue is that some plans sell you data only to be used from a non-smartphone, like my T616. That traffic is "WAP". AT&T/Cingular doesn't seem to quite yet know how to handle smart phones that can do more than WAP and if you try to sneak in with a WAP only plan (which I believe the Media Works plan is) and run something from your phone that just uses Internet Protocol then they charge you for it at very high rates.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks. But what exactly are examples of non-WAP traffic I might use with my Treo 650? What functionality is done through PPTTP or IPSEC?

I'm trying to figure out if the things I will be using my Treo 650 for will just use WAP, or if I will be exposed to charges by doing swapping cards or having the media plan assigned to my Treo.

Thanks again for your help. Just want to cross all of the Ts before I jump into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    Basically the issue is that some plans sell you data only to be used from a non-smartphone, like my T616. That traffic is "WAP". AT&T/Cingular doesn't seem to quite yet know how to handle smart phones that can do more than WAP and if you try to sneak in with a WAP only plan (which I believe the Media Works plan is) and run something from your phone that just uses Internet Protocol then they charge you for it at very high rates.
    JakiChan, is my understanding correct? WAP is for "casual" Internet access such as periodic e-mails or browsing, nothing too "heavy". The idea being that non-smartphone users don't spend hours on their phone transmitting data or getting on the Internet. But smartphone users (like Treo 650 users) theoretically could use the Internet plan for many different data transmission applications (e-mail; browsing; DUN; etc.), so the mobile Internet plan for Treo 650 users is more expensive (like $44.99 or $49.99 instead of $19.99).

Do I have it straight?
    If your company has a VPN that you would need to use to access email (like mine does) then that is one thing they might charge for. VNC is another.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    You guys may want to do some more reading in the 650 thread. I've heard from more than one person who has said that the MediaWorks package doesn't block any ports, and should be fine for VPN/VNC. I don't see any reason why they would charge you anything additional either. I don't think they're monitoring the traffic to that degree.
    I agree with Minsc. there are no real new applications for the treo 650 aside from the bluetooth. many are already using DUN on the 600 (via a cable). I send and recieve a tremendous amount of data with my 600 with the mediaworks plan and I have to be charged for anything. VNC works, as do other programs. I just can't see cingular being able to monitor that with any degree of certainty.
    It says that Media Works includes Wireless Internet Express. That is defined as:

"Wireless Internet Express allows you to customize the information you want to see through the My Wireless Window portal. Also, provides GPRS Internet browsing, so you can enjoy faster speeds. Plus, you don't pay for the time you use the service, just for the amount of data you send and receive. No more logging off the Internet to answer your calls. Now, you can switch between data and voice sessions without losing your connection. Access specific wireless internet websites, directories and search engines with Wireless Internet Express!"

So that doesn't really sound like full internet access to me...although I haven't heard any 1st person stories of folks getting billed out the *** either.
    I have the mediaworks package on my treo 600. I have full access to all IP ports. I run
    Blazer (non proxied browser)
    Webviewer (proxied browser)
    upIRC (irc client)
    pssh (ssh client)
    Chatter (imaps email)
    Snapper (pop and pops email)
    Causerie (multi protocol IM)
    Chatopus (jabber based multi-protocol IM)
    Meric Ping (ping client)

None of these apps have ever had a problem. I have never found a port or protocol blocked by mediaworks.
    Ok, in my race to get my new Treo 650 I did not check the forums 1st. I switched from my moto v600 to the treo650 and changed to the treo $29 data plan. I got the one year rebate on the treo 650 for $440 total.

How do you you think is the best way to switch to the Media Works package. Should I
    1> Call cingular and have them just switch to media works
    2> Tell them I changed my mind and to change my SIM back to the Mot v600 with mediaworks then put the SIM card in my T 650
    3> Tell them I lost my treo and to send me a new SIM card for my Mot v600 then put that in the Treo and call back later and add the Mediaworks

Any suggestions appreciated,
    Thx,
    Hotoru
    Note: The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    So Call Cingular and have them add it to your plan. If they say it's not available for Treo, tell them that it's available on the web site for new purchases so and ask them to add it. No need to be stealthy.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast