Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Note: The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    So Call Cingular and have them add it to your plan. If they say it's not available for Treo, tell them that it's available on the web site for new purchases so and ask them to add it. No need to be stealthy.
    No, it doesn't come up as an option. I just did this. Unless somehow it is filtering by locality - I'm in the DC Area - but I can't understand why it would give the option to some and not others???
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Taylorh,
    I also saw your response in my thread (thanks). However, this is the issue: the Mediaworks plan is NOT listed among the choices *when buying the phone on the Cingular site* even though it IS a choice when buying through PalmOne and the TreoCentral store.

I think the concern is that the Cingular site is the more accurate here...

TM
    It did for me. Go to http://www.cingular.com, pick the Treo650, use zip code 95118, pick a voice plan, the next page has options one of which is Media Works for $20.
    The first page with the rate plans will not show it under "data plans". Mediq works isn't a data plan to them, it's an add on option (oddly.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Wow that's bizarre. In my zip (10014) the choice is not there. The choices are:

MEdia Net (500KB) $2.99
    MEdia Net (2MB) $9.99
    Multimedia Messaging - 20 messages/month $2.99
    Multimedia Messaging - 40 messages/month
    Sign up now and get Unlimited Multimedia Messaging through 2006. Hurry! This is a limited time offer. $4.99
    Roadside Assistance $2.99
    Text Messaging 100 messages/month $2.99
    Text Messaging 750 messages/month $9.99
    Voice Connect $4.99

Strange no? These are the 'add-on options' as you said. No place to provision a data plan in the process beyond this..

TM

PS - BUT on the PalmOne site and the TreoCentralStore site, the $20 mediaworks IS the option presented. I'm really confused.
    That's the screen I'm refering to. This IS strange. Try my zip 95118 it's there. I'd call to order it and insist they give it to you as it's available elsewhere. I hope I'm not rocking Cingular's boat here, it's just that this mixed offering is messed up.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Agreed - especially for a potential switched like me It doesn't give me great confidence in them...

TM
    Note: The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    So Call Cingular and have them add it to your plan. If they say it's not available for Treo, tell them that it's available on the web site for new purchases so and ask them to add it. No need to be stealthy.

O.K., now Im really confused. All this hype about the new "data plan", and yep MediaWorks is still present when you add the 650 to your basket. I call them and they say it is incorrect - that you have to use the new "data plan" at a rate of 39.99 a month for unlimited. The CSR told me they do not have the new plans on the website, and when it does come up, everyone who bought the Treo650 will be switched to the new plan, or given an option to return it if they do not want to pay the extra!!!! Now if you click on the Treo 600, there is not a mediaWorks plan (unlimited) available. Im within my 30 day window to cancel - but I think I'll keep my unlocked GSM coming and swap Sim cards from my V551.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    The thing that worries me about that plan is that they might do what AT&T does and that is and bill someone using the "Media Works" plan for any non-WAP traffic....
    undefined

I tried to add mediaworks online a few weeks ago and it did not work. Everytime, (tried like 8 times) I selected it from the list and continued on to check out it was removed from my cart. So, I called and had it added on. But, they did ask me what kind of phone I had, which right now is an insurance replacement Moto V180 for my old T720. I wanted to make sure that the package would still be available when I was ready to purchase a smartphone.
    Jaki,
    They cannot change your data rate plan without your consent. I believe that is included in the Regs set by the Gov't in the wireless communications act. So if you can receive the data now, they can not change it, or if they do, you have the right to cancel without any penatlies.
    It did for me. Go to http://www.cingular.com, pick the Treo650, use zip code 95118, pick a voice plan, the next page has options one of which is Media Works for $20.
    The first page with the rate plans will not show it under "data plans". Mediq works isn't a data plan to them, it's an add on option (oddly.)
    Well, now if you punch in your same 95118 zip code and view data plans you won't even see MEdia Works.

I think Cingular is trying to drive us crazy or drive us all to Sprint, where we can be rounded like cattle.
    The plot thickens. I'll tell you what - b/t PalmOne jacking the price of the unlocked phone to $700 and Cingular jacking their data rate up, I'm tempted to go Sprint except for the fact that I travel internationally and really enjoy being able to make and receive calls (at my number) when I do. At this point I'll probably stick with TMo and wait for them to release it since I'm eligible for same-as-new-customer pricing.

And JerryP I hear you and agree that in principal this is the way it works. They need to grandfather you in so if you have it (or get it now by buying from one of the other sites) you should be able to keep it. HOWEVER, based on what I've heard about Cingular customer service my guess is that you'd have a fight on your hands (and when I say "you" I mean new customers in general who manage to get the 650 with Mediaworks now). Cingular will change your bill, you'll call and gripe, threaten action, (and maybe take it), and maybe sooner or later get it resolved. Having had a not-dissimilar experience with AT&T customer 'service' once upon I time to be honest with you I don't need the headache or hassle.

TM
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if I'd say Cingular "Jacked up" the price. This was a special that was running from last summer and it was set to end on 1/31.

However, my main gripe is actually with the grandfathering. It seems utterly confusing and unfair that different people are being charged different rates for the same exact thing! I don't care if you signed up two years ago or yesterday. On the one hand they give these awesome deals to new customers on phones, but on the other hand you can get grandfathered into a lower rate? I guess some would say these cancel each other out, but my god, wouldn't it cause everyone less stress and less confusion if there was just one rate for everyone? These carriers would save money in the long run because you wouldn't have tons of people calling up and saying they wanted a different rate because they knew some friend was getting it, etc. It's ridiculous!

Not everyone is obsessive compulsive like us and checks every angle.

Most people just accept what they are presented with and sign on the dotted line

I'm exploring signing up for my companies ATTWS mobile data plan unlimited for $21/month. Gotta figure out how to get that rolling instead.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Sticking with Sprint after all this confusion. I was so hoping to take advantage of mobile-to-mobile with Cing's network, but hell, I'm not going to pay through the a$$ for data on the 650. Sprint's rate is quite reasonable for what you can reasonably do day in, day out on a Treo.
    dvdmon,
    You (and Cingular) can call it whatever you like but going from $20 to $40+ for unlimited data constitutes jacking up the price in my book.\

TM
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    TM, I'm not trying to defend Cingular. I don't think they should do this. However, this was a "special" that had a specific end date. I suppose it's six of one half dozen of another, but I can just as easily see it as a sale that ended as a "jacking up" of the price...

Check THIS out...now on the TreoCentral Store page where you select the MediaWorks package (which is still otherwise described as $20/mo for unlimited web and email):

"Disclaimer: It is possible that Cingular may not add the MEdia Works plan to your account. If so, other data service plans will be presented to you. "

Whoa. Talk about bad faith. I'm REALLY glad I didn't switch from TMo to a company that treats customers like this.

TM
    Thx for sugestion Taylorh called up Cingular. They happily removed my Data plan and put me on Mediaworks. Go figure. Now I just have to check my bill and see if I am getting unlimited. Anyone confirm that you get the "EDGE" speeds with mediaworks? The best I have gotten is about 67kbps using dslreports
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Heads up.
    Keep an eye on your bill. Appearently they are changing media works to not be unlimited internet anymore as of 2/11/05. I doubt this affects you, I think you have unlimited internet access, but you may want to call Cingular and verify that you in fact have the unlimited internet access and not the 3MB limit media works if you're concerned.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71578
    and
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72075
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast