Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone recommend what to use for the unlimited data plan. On cingular's website I am not seeing the option for the unlimited plan $19.99. I only see the unlimited data plan for $79.99 which is a joke. What data plan would work best for me since I mainly want to use it to check occassional email and occassional surfing the web. I have no idea how that would translate to "MB" and the appropriate plan to use. I have never had web access on any of my phones and my treo 650 arrives tomorrow. Please hepl!
    you want the "Media Works" plan, but they won't give it to you if they know you have a treo. order the plan on your cell phone and then switch the simm.
  3.    #3  
    My cell phone is a samsung SGH-p107. Whenever I go to cingular.com, sign in to my account, and try to order the 19.99 plan, it says unable to process. I have tried this a couple times over the past few days and get the same "unable to process at this time". Is there another way to order it?
  4.    #4  
    Now that I fully read your response, how do I order it from my phone?
  5.    #5  
    figured out if I call 611 they will add it on for me--done!
    What if your current phone is not GSM and does not have a sim. What is the best course of action from there if you want to have the Treo with the Media works plan. Most of the advice around here seems to be for people who already have GSM and sim cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shag
    What if your current phone is not GSM and does not have a sim. What is the best course of action from there if you want to have the Treo with the Media works plan. Most of the advice around here seems to be for people who already have GSM and sim cards.
    The EASIEST way and what I'd do (but maybe not the fastest) is...
    Go to http://www.palmone.com/ and order the Cingular Treo 650 through their web site ("Yes, I want a new mobile phone plan", Then pick a Cingular plan.) All of the Cingular plans this way include the MediaWorks data plan ($20.) You should have the Treo 650 shipped to you with MediaWorks on your plan. Price:$550 for the Treo.
    If you ever want to change your voice plan you can call Cingular after you get your Treo and switch to any plan at any time, there will be no problem there.

If you want to go through Cingular directly since it appears they are starting to get them in stock (may get it faster) you can do that too. See the screen shot at http://blog.treonauts.com/ or here http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/537-1.htm which says you can get it as low as $450 with a 2 year contract.
    Weather or not Cingular rep will add MediaWorks to your plan on a Treo seems to depend on the Rep. If you get a rep that refuses to add MediaWorks, tell them that "That's not what I expected, I need to re-consider my purchase" and leave or hang up and start the process over with someone else until you get what you want.
    Point being, I think MediaWorks IS available for Treo650, but not all Cingular sales people understand that. Some people have said they had no problem ordering a Treo650 from Cingular (via phone order) and getting Media Works added along with it. Price.. $450-$550.
    ***NOTE: Don't think you can get the $50 mail in rebate if you get MediaWorks.***

The last and final way is to sign up with Cingular and get any cheap or free flip phone with Media Works. Then go buy a Treo for full price from PalmOne.com as "I already have a plan" and get the $550 Cingular or $600 Unlocked model. All you do is move your SIM from the phone to the Treo.
    This method only makes sense if yoiu want an unlocked/non-carrier branded Treo 650 because you're already paying full price. Price $600.

PHwhew, that was fun. I really need to get some work done today.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/02/2005 at 07:04 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thanks for your reply. Couple short questions. My current non-GSM phone has a Cingular plan, and I want that plan and phone number to switch over to my Treo 650. Does that affect which option you would choose?

It seems to me that your Easy option would not work, since it requires selecting a "new mobile phone plan." I don't want to have two phone plans on Cingular at the same time. I want to keep my current mobile phone plan and phone number and apply it to my new Treo, but I want to also add a data plan for only $19.99 (media works).

Is there any way to do option one while just keeping my current phone plan? If not, would you recommend I give a shot at #2?
    Well, the PalmOne store does have the option (when selecting a new Cingular Plan) to port your number from another carrier. It refers you to this URL to check availability.
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/LNP
    Plug your info in to that form and if it say's you're cool, then you can do #1 I think. Go through the purchase process on the P1 web site but just don't actually enter your CC number and finish if you want to check it out.

However, I suspect that cince you're already on Cingular TDMA that may not work since PalmOne's method, I think is set up to port from another carrier. Either way you ARE porting your number so this is a bit of a grey area here.

If that doesn't work, then you have to go directly to Cingular and do it that way. I'd just go to Option #2 and tell them you want to port your Cingular TDMA to GSM and get a Treo 650. They'll basically set you up with a new plan just like any other new customer. Simply insist on Media Works. If they refuse, get the Treo 650 without a data plan, say "No thank you I want pay per use data for the time being. Just the voice plan for now." but don't actually use the data until you get a plan (pay per use is VERY expensive.)
    If you got it at a store, go home and keep calling CS until you get a rep that'll add media works, eventually you'll get one. If they ASK you what phone you have (and they may not,) say it's a Samsung x427, Motorola V400 or any other flip phone listed on their site.
    This sound elaborate but it's all very simple. They may (or may not) resist giving you mediaworks with the Treo650, so just don't get a data plan and it to your account in a subsequent call to customer service.

-Taylor
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot. One last question. In another thread, poster JakiChan said using Media Works with the Treo could expose you to other charges.

Specifically, he said this: "Now the Media Works plan is only for WAP traffic, right? If you do PPTP or IPSEC you'll get billed out the rear?"

Is that correct? I'm not sure what WAP, PPTP, or IPSEC mean, but I want to make sure I won't get hammered with a surprise bill if I'm using my Treo with Media Works.
    Last edited by Shag; 02/02/2005 at 07:58 PM.
    Note: The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    Additionally if you order it from the PalmOne Web site it's offered with a new contract.
    There is no question anymore as to weather or not is "allowed" to be used on a Treo. They offer it with new activations (and should add it on to your plan without giving you trouble.)

This topic is on about 15 threads right now so I appologize that I'm making the SAME POST on all of them.

Furthermore, I've had Media Works on my Tro 600 for over 8 months and use alll kinds of data (POP, IMAP, Web, VPN, teathered to my laptop, etc.) It all works with no restrictions and I've never been charged a penny more than $20 for data.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Are you required to also sign up for a voice plan, or can I just buy a 650 and only get the Media Works data plan? I already have phone service with Verizon. But if I can pay $20/mo for a Treo, I will get one. I don't want to pay $50/mo for Verizon. What about Sprint? Same ?...do you have to get voice service to get data???
    Was on the phone with cingular tech support for over 2 hours today just to find out VPN is disabled for the treo 650 on Cingular network. They simply do not support it due to fear of hackers!!! What the dillio??? I assume that owners of treo 650 are mostly power users and mobile professionals, and would need either VPN or SSH???? Why the lick did cingular disable it??? I am going to have to return my phone and sign up with AT&T that supports VPN. Cingular suck eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadraw
    Was on the phone with cingular tech support for over 2 hours today just to find out VPN is disabled for the treo 650 on Cingular network. They simply do not support it due to fear of hackers!!! What the dillio??? I assume that owners of treo 650 are mostly power users and mobile professionals, and would need either VPN or SSH???? Why the lick did cingular disable it??? I am going to have to return my phone and sign up with AT&T that supports VPN. Cingular suck eggs.
    What the heck are you talking about? I don't think the Cingular TS you talked to has any idea what he/she is saying. As I've stated, when I use my Treo as a modem (using PDANet) I can use the Cisco (IPSec) VPN client to connect in to my company's Cisco VPN 3000 concentrator VPN server from my laptop. So they aren't blocking the default VPN port that Cisco uses.
    You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET PPTP VPN TO WORK on Media Works. PPTP VPN (Mergic VPN) will not work over a NAT IP address, and Media Works is NAT. If you use a PDA unlimited or any real data plan, you do not have a NAT IP, but a real IP and can use Mergic VPN (But you pay more.) IPSec VPN(the type corporations use) will work over NAT.

To get IPSec VPN on the Treo 650, you need a VPN client. The only VPN client that does IPSec on Treo is Movian VPN. Movian VPN is not for sale to end users, only to corporate licensing. There is another thread on here devoted to how to get Movian VPN, do a search and you'll find it.

To conclude, if you get the $40 "PDA Unlimited" plan from Cingular, you get a real IP address. It's effectively the same plan as what's on this page http://www.cingular.com/business/xpress_mail_personal. If you go to AT&T, you pay $50 (of $40 if they changed it recently) for the unlimited PDA plan and get the exact same thing. So you gain nothing.
    If you want to save money and get Meda Works Unlimited for $20, you lose your real IP address and you're limited to whatever you can do behind a NAT IP (which is almost anything except PPTP VPN and running a server.)
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/07/2005 at 11:15 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I do have the $40 "PDA Unlimited" plan from Cingular. The cingular tech support representatives also knew that I havce the $40 plan, and he asked several of his colleagues and supervisor, and got the response that cingular simply does not support VPN. I told them, are you kidding me??? And their reply was no, cingular does not support VPN.

This is the error I receive when I use Mergic VPN with Treo 650 on Cingular network.

Error: no server config response, possible firewall or NAT block (0x870E)

Do you have any other suggestions? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by gadraw; 02/07/2005 at 11:50 PM.
    Am I the only chump that is unable to use VPN on cingular's network???
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    If I have a Treo 650 on order online (without MEdiaWorks, migrating from AT&T), can I simply call them and say, "look, give me the MEdiaWorks 19.99 unlimited, don't mess around with me… no I'm not using my Treo right now… just give it to me, I demand it!" (well, in a polite way) or what exactly, would your approach be to get it put on? I believe the deadline is the 11th to act?

On Cingular's website, if you click on the data plans, it definitely (for me) MEdiaWorks 19.99 is limited to 3MB. So, if I call customer service, I'm hearing that one can add the unlimited from a rep. Is this true?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    If I have a Treo 650 on order online (without MEdiaWorks, migrating from AT&T), can I simply call them and say, "look, give me the MEdiaWorks 19.99 unlimited, don't mess around with me… no I'm not using my Treo right now… just give it to me, I demand it!" (well, in a polite way) or what exactly, would your approach be to get it put on? I believe the deadline is the 11th to act?

On Cingular's website, if you click on the data plans, it definitely (for me) MEdiaWorks 19.99 is limited to 3MB. So, if I call customer service, I'm hearing that one can add the unlimited from a rep. Is this true?

Thanks.
    What deadline are you talking about? I still have not got my treo 650 so just wondering what you mean, i also have ATT account right now.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The rumor is (and you know what they say about rumors) is that currently, the 19.99 plan is unlimited Internet, WIX, or whatever people call it, and if you add it after the 11th or 14th (no specific date confirmed yet) that you will get a 3MB plan (which is the case in my post ordering online). I just talked to a CSR, and they said it is 19.99 unlimited. After that date, 24.99 will be the unlimited price, with supposedly, more SMS/MMS (who cares?) upper limits. Sigh.

The joys of being an early adopter guinea pig.
    I ordered the Cingular 650 thru Younevercall.com. ordered 2/2, recieved 2/9.
    They let me order the Unlimited Media works for 19.99 from initial order page. Checked my Cingular bill and it shows up just like I ordered it. Also ordered free SD card from PalmOne without problem (Thanks for that info) Hope this helps someone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast