1.    #1  
    My wife and I are at the end of both of our independant contracts. I am getting T650(gsm) if it ever comes out, and I am getting her a v551 from Amazon. My question is that will have the unlimited Media_thing work for both our phones for the same $20 price? Or will we have to have to 2 media_whoohas?

Thanks!

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    you will have to add it for each line, so $40 total.
    I want to know that also, i have a family shared plan right now from ATT and want to know what will happen when i switch to cingular so i can get my treo650
  4.    #4  
    Thanks
    Could some one please post a link to the rate plan? I couldn't find the unlimited data plan on cingular's site...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Good luck getting that rate plan with the Treos. Rumor has it over at Hofo that the 19.99 Unlimited Media Works is going to end in Feb. anyway and be replaced with a limited plan for phones and a different plan for PDA's (maybe 29.99)

The link is a little buried on the site https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    They already have independent plans for phones and PDAs. Media Works is for phones, the data plans are for PDAs. Ironically, they don't post the $40 unlimited PDA plan on their web site (but it exists.)
    In any case I have a shared family plan and my wife and I both have Treo 600s with Media Works. So $60-$70 or whatever for the voice plan, and $20 for each line for Media Works (Unlimited data, 1500SMS, 200MMS). Our bill works out to $120/month with all taxes ($40 for both media works, $80 for voice shared plan and taxes.)
    If you can't get them to sign you up for media works on your Treo 650, then make sure you at least ask about the $40 data plan for PDAs. But if you do what I did, I signed up w/ Cingular with the free phones and media works on both lines, then bought my Treo 600's directly from Palm, then just moved my SIM to the Treo. I didn't get any kind of carrier discount on the Treo since I obviously bought them without contract, so I paid full price for them. Upside is that I have Media Works. Downside is that what I saved on the data plan I spent on the Treo (at least in the short run.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    Good luck getting that rate plan with the Treos. Rumor has it over at Hofo that the 19.99 Unlimited Media Works is going to end in Feb. anyway and be replaced with a limited plan for phones and a different plan for PDA's (maybe 29.99)

The link is a little buried on the site https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    If you look at the media works pamphlet - it says it right there on the back that the prices expire 1/31/05. They may continue the discount, but it says the 19.99 is 50% off. SO if you are going to do it, I would sign up before the 31st, just to make sure you get it at that price, and if it doesn't change you can cancel it. but at least that way you will be grandfathered in!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    If you look at the media works pamphlet - it says it right there on the back that the prices expire 1/31/05. They may continue the discount, but it says the 19.99 is 50% off. SO if you are going to do it, I would sign up before the 31st, just to make sure you get it at that price, and if it doesn't change you can cancel it. but at least that way you will be grandfathered in!!
    I'd like to add, that Media Works unlimited ($20) was initially a 1 month offering (Expired July 15th last year.) I was gullible enough to believe that and paid an early termination fee from my other carrier just to switch to Cingular in time (either way I still saved a lot by switching.) Then they extended it a few months. Then extended it again. Now it has been extended to Jan 31st. So yes, I still agree you should jump on the plan while you can get it, but I'd also like to add that this has always been a limited time offering always gets extended (so far,) so if you miss it, maybe you're not out of luck. But it could be different this time, who knows.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  10. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505

That stinks if they discontinue the $19.99 plan. I tend to doubt it though. I was reading recently (in the WSJ I think) that big cell phone companies are so far very disappointed in data plan sales in the US. The US is lagging the rest of the world in this respect. Raising prices is only going to inhibit growth. Plus the general trend is that data is getting cheaper.

As for the 650 I would buy the phone without a data plan. Call up customer service after getting the phone and insist on the $19.99 unlimited media works data plan. Don't let them sucker you into any PDA plan garbage. I have a Nokia 6230 and the wife has a Nokia 6620 smartphone - both have EDGE cabable GPRS and bluetooth (DUN enabled thank you very much). We pay $19.99 for each of them and I tether mine to a PPC. I think the phone companies like to gouge the 'business user' and that is why they push the PDA plans
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    so Cingular's Media Net is a port-free GPRS connection? Ie you can do wap, web browsing, email, etc, etc for your $19.99 per month? I asked this at a store and the guy couldn't tell me. Geese, cell phone store staff have terrible training! How can they NOT know if a service has ports blocked or not??
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Media Works data is a FULL internet connection. Nothing is blocked or limited. I can do email, web, streaming, everything. I can even VPN (Cicso IPSec) in to work from my laptop through my Treo 600 uning PDANet.
    The only limitation is that MediaWorks gives you a NAT IP address whereas all of the other data plan give you a real IP. The only limitation this causes is that you may not be able to do a PPTP type VPN connection beacause it doesn't work over NAT.
    I also read some time bqck on Howard Forums that Media Works doesnlt have as many dedicated download slots on the network as the standard data plans, meaning mor opportunity for congestion (I've never experienced it.) But I don't know if this is still true or if I even have that fact straight.
    The point is that you can do everything possible over a NAT IP connection, and the price is a bargain considering they throw in SMS an MMS.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    MEdia Works is great. And I understand that it will take advantage of EDGE if you get an edge device (like the T650).
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Could some one please post a link to the rate plan? I couldn't find the unlimited data plan on cingular's site...
  15.    #15  
    I am getting my treo on Tuesday. Should I be able to add a MEdia package to my plan now? I have an old TDMA phone.

L
    The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    So when you get your Treo 650 (whichever way you go about it) and have them add Media Works to your plan. If they say it's not available for Treo, tell them that it's available on the web site for new purchases so and ask them to add it. No need to be stealthy. Also when buying it at the PalmOne web site Media Works is the only data plan option you can chose, so that's two different ways that validate you can get Media Works on a Treo.

They must have changed their policy on Media Works on PDAs, or rather that limitation is an old policty (that maybe not all reps are current on.) Either way, go in to a Cingular Store, say you want to get a Treo 650 and move over to GSM, and have them set it up with Media Works. THey should do it and if they don't, insist on it because it's available on the web and "They must be mistaken if they think it's not available, they must have old information."
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I just tried. Not here in NJ it doesn't. Try 07036 ZIP code. If I select a 650 with new service it won't even allow me to add a FAMILY PLAN. If I put in on an individual plan the ONLY data choices OPTIONS I have are 500KB and 2MB media net. If I choose "FAMILY PLAN" I get the following message: "There are not currently any rate plans in your market for the type of plan selected.". If I choose "Individual Plans" I get all the usual Cingular plans. If I want to add data to that individual plan the only UNLIMITED option I get is the $79.99 plan under the DATA tab.

Either it's market related or they're just fsucked up totally and still trying to figure out what's going one.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    The Treo 650 on the Cingular web site offers Media Works ($20) as an option. Select the phone and go through the order process (pick a plan) and Media works is one of the only data options.
    So when you get your Treo 650 (whichever way you go about it) and have them add Media Works to your plan. If they say it's not available for Treo, tell them that it's available on the web site for new purchases so and ask them to add it. No need to be stealthy. Also when buying it at the PalmOne web site Media Works is the only data plan option you can chose, so that's two different ways that validate you can get Media Works on a Treo.

They must have changed their policy on Media Works on PDAs, or rather that limitation is an old policty (that maybe not all reps are current on.) Either way, go in to a Cingular Store, say you want to get a Treo 650 and move over to GSM, and have them set it up with Media Works. THey should do it and if they don't, insist on it because it's available on the web and "They must be mistaken if they think it's not available, they must have old information."
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Nope, no more Media Works available when you sign up online, only Media Net. You can still get to the media works purchase page, but it looks like you can't do anything with it unless you already have a Cingular account. If you try to sign up for a new account, though, as I said, it is not an option. You could take your chance, sign up, and then go to this page, or I guess you could try going to a store and asking for it, but my guess is that 1/31 was a real deadline because they've unlinked it as an option when signing up, they just weren't careful enough and left the actual page up figuring people wouldn't know the url. But let us know if you actually get them to add it after 1/31...
    Last edited by dvdmon; 02/03/2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Ed's comment has got me to thinking....

Maybe Cingular is only allowing unlimited in regions where their backbone networks are strong, i.e. has plenty of data capacity. I saw this because many in Atlanta seem to be able to sign up. The site can only know you by zip code, if you don't log into your account.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarsey
    Ed's comment has got me to thinking....

Maybe Cingular is only allowing unlimited in regions where their backbone networks are strong, i.e. has plenty of data capacity. I saw this because many in Atlanta seem to be able to sign up. The site can only know you by zip code, if you don't log into your account.
    Hmmm, not sure about that. I was unable to get it to come up when I plugged in my zip, which is in the DC area, which has excellent coverage according to the maps on Cingular's site...
    Twitter: @dvdmon