Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the attractive features of Sprint's Vision service is that you can use a bluetooth-enabled phone as a modem for your laptop at no extra charge. I am aware that their TOS says you can't do this, but in reality, many people do and from what I've read as long as you don't abuse it, Sprint looks the other way.

I'm currently a Cingular customer in Atlanta (4 yrs), and have been really torn about which carrier I should choose for the Treo 650. I've been very happy with the call quality and service from Cingular, and would prefer to stay with them if possible. My contract has just ended and I think I will be able to negotiate a good plan, plus get the subsidized phone price when the GSM 650 is available.

I'm very concerned about using a Cingular phone with Media Plan as a modem in the same way that Sprint customers currently use their Vision plans. I think this will be the deciding factor for me - which data plan will work the best. I travel 2-3x a month and need a wireless modem. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks -
    Ok, here's what you can do.

Buy the 650 at the nice, subsidized price and don't sign up for the MEdia Works (or Basic) plan. Wait a few days, then call up Cingular and tell them you want to give them the IMEI of your "new" phone. Use an old phone you have, maybe even your current one, and give them the IMEI. Tell them to add the MEdia Works or Basic plan. Switch your SIM to your Treo, and enjoy!
    Like Sprint, technically the PDA plans or the MediaWorks plan while allowing unlimited internet ON THE DEVICE does NOT allow tethering to a laptop .. under any plan except for "Laptop Connect" which is $80/month unlimited or also available cheaper on metered plans by the MB.

That being said, most people do NOT get charged or have problems tethering, especially if all you are doing is HTTP or POP3 stuff. If you are doing VNC or VPN stuff (which uses "non-normal ports") on Cingular Blue you probably will get billed extra. On Cingular Orange, I can't say from experience.

On the BLUE side (former ATT) I can personally confirm that fact. I have been "tethering" a Nokia 6620 for 4 months, have downloaded many hundreds of megabytes, never a problem. I ran a 10 minute VNC sesssion once as a test and was billed for the data I used. It is pretty much agreed they look at ports in use. If you stick with HTTP or POP3 you should have no problem.

I'm not 100% sure how the Orange side handles it, but BLUE definately looks at port use and bills you by the KB for anything they find "out of the ordinary." And it adds up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan
    One of the attractive features of Sprint's Vision service is that you can use a bluetooth-enabled phone as a modem for your laptop at no extra charge. I am aware that their TOS says you can't do this, but in reality, many people do and from what I've read as long as you don't abuse it, Sprint looks the other way.

I'm currently a Cingular customer in Atlanta (4 yrs), and have been really torn about which carrier I should choose for the Treo 650. I've been very happy with the call quality and service from Cingular, and would prefer to stay with them if possible. My contract has just ended and I think I will be able to negotiate a good plan, plus get the subsidized phone price when the GSM 650 is available.

I'm very concerned about using a Cingular phone with Media Plan as a modem in the same way that Sprint customers currently use their Vision plans. I think this will be the deciding factor for me - which data plan will work the best. I travel 2-3x a month and need a wireless modem. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks -
  4.    #4  
    djfusion - Definitely plan to go that route if I continue with Cingular. In fact, my wife's contract is ending as well and she wants a new phone too. She would get the freebie media-enabled phone, and I would get the 650. Using the tips from this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69595

I would just switch the SIM cards, then call and add Media Works, then switch the SIM cards again. Voila, Media Works on my Treo 650. As far as switching an old SIM card, I currently have a Nokia 6340i which uses a 32K card - doesn't the Treo use 64K? Does it matter?

MisterEd - Thanks for the great comments. I wish I was coming from the Blue side, but I've been with Cingular now for 4 years. I would definitely be using HTTP and POP3, nothing fancier. I would hope that the Orange side wouldn't monitor ordinary port use. If they do and charge for it, I will definitely sign up with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Ok, here's what you can do.

Buy the 650 at the nice, subsidized price and don't sign up for the MEdia Works (or Basic) plan. Wait a few days, then call up Cingular and tell them you want to give them the IMEI of your "new" phone. Use an old phone you have, maybe even your current one, and give them the IMEI. Tell them to add the MEdia Works or Basic plan. Switch your SIM to your Treo, and enjoy!
    Is Cingular refusing to give people $19.96 MEdia Works with the T650? Has anyone signed up?
    The phone hasn't even been released! How could that be answered?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Is Cingular refusing to give people $19.96 MEdia Works with the T650? Has anyone signed up?
    Here's an interesting HoFo thread on this topic: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=552150
    they are telling me I have to get the $40 plan with the Treo...

Here is the email from the Cingular rep in atltanta

"Hey John,

No Prob.
    1)We haven't gotten an offical release date from Cingular Headquaters about the Treo 650, but from the rumors I have heard that we might or should be getting it in a month or so.

2) The X66 is only orderable online or by phone, it is in such short supply right now that they haven't gotten it released to any store location. Also there was a recall on the inital batch that Cingular received cause of a software glitch. The Media Works would not apply to that phone or the Treo. The Data service plans for the x66 and 650 are 29.99 for 5 MB and 39.99 for unlimited. The Wifi is not charged by Cingular.

3) The Treo 650 is:
    2 yr $449.99 - $50 rebate = 399.99 + tax
    1 yr $499.99 - $50 rebate = 449.99 + tax
    The x66
    2 yr $549.99 - $50 rebate = 499.99 + tax
    1 Yr $599.99 - $50 rebate = 549.99 + tax

Hope this answer any questions you have. "
    Quote Originally Posted by johndawg
    The Media Works would not apply to that phone or the Treo. The Data service plans for the x66 and 650 are 29.99 for 5 MB and 39.99 for unlimited. The Wifi is not charged by Cingular.
    That's what I was afraid of, although the particular sales rep I talked to said I could have the MEdia Works at $19.95 for the SX66. Since I did not purchase the phone I can't tell if the system would have been set up to reject the plan with the T650 or SX66

[/QUOTE]3) The Treo 650 is:
    2 yr $449.99 - $50 rebate = 399.99 + tax
    1 yr $499.99 - $50 rebate = 449.99 + tax
    The x66
    2 yr $549.99 - $50 rebate = 499.99 + tax
    1 Yr $599.99 - $50 rebate = 549.99 + tax "[/QUOTE]

These were the prices I was quoted at Cingular corporate
    I can't seem to be able to multi-quote
    You can also register your account on Cingulars web site and add MEdiaWork from there.
    djfusion - Definitely plan to go that route if I continue with Cingular. In fact, my wife's contract is ending as well and she wants a new phone too. She would get the freebie media-enabled phone, and I would get the 650. Using the tips from this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69595

I would just switch the SIM cards, then call and add Media Works, then switch the SIM cards again. Voila, Media Works on my Treo 650. As far as switching an old SIM card, I currently have a Nokia 6340i which uses a 32K card - doesn't the Treo use 64K? Does it matter?

MisterEd - Thanks for the great comments. I wish I was coming from the Blue side, but I've been with Cingular now for 4 years. I would definitely be using HTTP and POP3, nothing fancier. I would hope that the Orange side wouldn't monitor ordinary port use. If they do and charge for it, I will definitely sign up with Sprint.
    It doesn't matter. Some people say you'll be better off with a 64k but if your reception is fine I wouldn't bother with it. The Treo will accept a 32k SIM no problem - no, it won't matter.
  13.    #13  
    It sure doesn't seem like the reps will know what kind of phone you have, so what makes them think they can get away with charging $40/mo for unlimited data?

Me: I'd like to add Media Works, please.
    Rep: What kind of phone do you have?
    Me: Um, it's a, an um, Motorola V220.
    Rep: Okie dokie.

I don't really see a problem here!
    It ain't that simple.

When you sign up for any data plan (or even service) you have to give them them your cell phone number, the IMEI of the phone & your SIM number (the IMEI identifies the model of the phone when they put it in the computer - they punch in the number and it tells them what the device is - works just like the VIN number on the windshield of your car). You can't just say "I have a Nokia 3120." You need to actually have a device with a legit IMEI on file (could be a spare device you don't intend on using) but it has to be legit. That's called "stealth mode." It makes them happy (they have a proper device) and you then just swap sims.

It sure doesn't seem like the reps will know what kind of phone you have, so what makes them think they can get away with charging $40/mo for unlimited data?

Me: I'd like to add Media Works, please.
    Rep: What kind of phone do you have?
    Me: Um, it's a, an um, Motorola V220.
    Rep: Okie dokie.

I don't really see a problem here!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I've read that people that have purchased the SX66 have called Cingular and have had the $40+ laptop plan scaled back to the $19.99 plan...

Both the SX66 and Treo 560 should work fine with the 19.99 plan...
    Where? Please link. Need it for ammo.

There was never a question of if it would work, the question was if they will sell it to you. The $40 plan is not the Laptop plan , it's the PDA DATA PLAN. Laptop plan is wrong and more expensive and is called "laptop Connect". $40 gets you 20mb on that deal, $79 is unlimited. http://www.cingular.com/business/data_connect_rate

Quote Originally Posted by johndawg
    I've read that people that have purchased the SX66 have called Cingular and have had the $40+ laptop plan scaled back to the $19.99 plan...

Both the SX66 and Treo 560 should work fine with the 19.99 plan...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Are you guys saying that the Media Works plans have full internet capability?
    Quote Originally Posted by exiii
    Are you guys saying that the Media Works plans have full internet capability?
    Yes, it does. The only reason to get the PDA or Data Connect plan is for support from Cingular. But nodbody needs that (IMHO), as there's Hofo!
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for that additional tidbit, Ed. So let's say I do the following instead - since both my wife and my contracts have just expired:

1) We both get new phones under a new agreement. I would get the 650, and my wife would get the Moto V180, let's say.
    2) Neither one of us would get the Media Works plan at the point of sale.
    3) After waiting a day or so, I would switch the SIM cards, then call customer service and ask to add Media Works to my wife's phone.
    4) When asked, I give them the IMEI of my wife's phone.
    5) Media Works is activated, I then switch the SIM cards back.

Would doing the above not give me the desired result - a 650 with my number and a $19.99 media plan?
  20.    #20  
    In the thread I referenced at the top of this post, cglaguna says the following:

Well it doesn't need to be that difficult but yes that will work.
    Buy the 2 phones both without data. Go home put the treo Sim in freebie phone. Call add media works to it. Switch sims.
    Actually, that sounds like an easier way to go. I'll just put the SIM of the new Treo back in my old phone, then call and activate Media Works. Once activated, I can then put the SIM back in my new Treo. I assume this would work just the same?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast