1.    #1  
    My wife and I both have Treo 600s. She has not customized it at all and has the original firmware that came installed on it when we got them in November 2003. On mine, I have installed serveral applications and I also upgraded the firmware to the latest firmware that was available last October 2004.

For the past three months we have both experienced very bad background buzzing during calls. It is worse for the receiving end (person being called). Before a few months ago, the service/phone call sound quality was pretty good. We live in Nothern California. Does anyone know of any changes with AT&T service that could/would be causing this? It is so bad that my wife who uses cell service more than I do has now bought a regular cell phone and just uses the Treo as a regular PDA. I am looking to change providers, but the best provider for service in our area is Verizon and of course they don't have the 650 now. I don't feel like getting a new phone unless it is to upgrade to a 650. This is a major bummer. Sprint has the worst coverage in our area, so I don't want to switch to them. Hellllllpppppp! Thanks for any ideas or information to deal with this!
    I'm in Phoenix and I've been getting the same symptoms since the Cingular switch. I think it's a geographical thing -- I almost always get it when calling from my home, but hardly get it at work (20 miles apart).

I talked to Cingular tech support and they were able to hear the buzzing when they called my phone. Their only suggestion was to go to a local store and ask them to troubleshoot (sigh!).

I don't know if it's the service or the phone, but I'm hoping if enough people are taking about it then it may get someone's attention.
    This is a known issue with the GSM Treos. After the phone reaches a certain age, the buzz noise starts to come in. Some people have had luck Macguyvering the issue themselves using a bit of tin foil. See the following thread for details

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=buzz
    Actually, it's probably a Cingular thing. Is the phone itself buzzing, or are your descirbing a static-like situation?

My 600 causes interference on landline phones. My t-Mobile-600-using co-worker does not experience this. We both have unlocked units.

You can reduce the amount of audible interference by adjusting the angle at which you hold the unit (I drag, I know).
  5.    #5  
    I did some more searching and found a lot of people discussing it on mytreo.net discussions. From there I found a link to a fix. Apparently it is a hardware problem with some of the treo 600s - perhaps the earlier ones which mine is. It involves opening the treo and wrapping a cable harness with aluminum foil to create EMI sheilding. The PDF has pretty simple instructions to do this. I did it last night in about a half hour. IT seems to have gotten rid of the problem although it is too soon to tell for sure.

The puzzling thing is why this would start around the time of the Cingular switch. Maybe it is just a coincidence and the phone has some electronics that change specs over time.

Here's a link to the fix: http://www.ktmonline.com.br/treo/treo600-buzzing.pdf

Good luck!
    So it turns out the buzzing wasn't due to the Cingular switch -- it's the hardware. Before attempting the "tin foil" fix, I called PalmOne. They acknowledged that it's an issue with the battery. Emissions from an old battery cause the person on the other end of the call to hear the buzzing. I have a Handspring-branded 600 and it's a year old.

Well, PalmOne did right by me and shipped me out a replacement unit (PalmOne branded 600). I got it in 4 days and it works great. Kudos to PalmOne for stepping up to the plate.
    You sure it wasn't cause of buzzing rumors of a buyout or acquisition
  8.    #8  
    That's encouraging to hear. How did you contact Palm One - via internet? Can you send me or post a link, e-mail address, or phone number that you contacted them via? I'd like to have them replace my wife's!

Also, did you or anyone else notice that when your treo is next to a radio or speakers that the speakers pick up an intermittent buzzing? I think that this is common with cell phones, but my Treo seems to cause speakers to do that extra loud. I am suspecting that it may be due to the batter also.

Quote Originally Posted by mjshark
    So it turns out the buzzing wasn't due to the Cingular switch -- it's the hardware. Before attempting the "tin foil" fix, I called PalmOne. They acknowledged that it's an issue with the battery. Emissions from an old battery cause the person on the other end of the call to hear the buzzing. I have a Handspring-branded 600 and it's a year old.

Well, PalmOne did right by me and shipped me out a replacement unit (PalmOne branded 600). I got it in 4 days and it works great. Kudos to PalmOne for stepping up to the plate.
    I just called the toll-free number from their website:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/co...ontact_us.html
    I also had the buzzing noise with my 1st treo 600 and also called them up and they did replace it within a week. But now the buzzing noise is back yet again in the replacement t600. For some reason when i did a network search and switched form cingular to cingular wireless the buzzing stoped. now i can not access cingular wireless network only just plane cingulars. I guess ill give palmone a call when im not busy 4 the next replacement>
  11.    #11  
    Thanks mjshark! I'll contact them, and hopefully they will replace our Treos also...
    Mjshark, a huge thanks. I had called ATT and they wanted $175.00 to repair the Treo 600, because it was out of warranty. I took your suggestion and called palmone from
    the link you provided. Explained that I the buzzing sound, walked through some trouble
    shooting with them, and then PalmOne stated they would replace my Treo. And on top
    of that my warranty would be reset and be good till Dec of 2005.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Rbatsun - out
    I have started hearing a buzz...or rather more like a hum. But I am wondering if this is what you all are experiencing. I get a noticable hum from the earpiece if the screen is on. If the screen is off I don't hear it. I haven't had anyone complain of hearing a buzz on the line. My 600 is less than 2 months old - t-mobile. The humming started about a week ago and I'm positive it wasn't there before because I remember thinking how nice the voice quality was when I got it.

Is this the famous buzz in it's early stages? Will the tin-foil trick do me any good?