1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Like everyone else, I'm drooling in anticipation over the release of the GSM 650. My 600 is a Cingular (unlocked) phone that I use on T-Mobile. I'm greatly disappointed to hear that the Cingular version will most probably be locked. I can't tell you how frustrated I am waiting for this upgrade.

I've even considered switching over to Cingular just because I think T-Mobile is falling behind the other major carriers.

However, one of the four phones on my plan is newly established and under 1-year contract. Additionally, Cingular has never had service in Hawaii before (with the exception of a short-lived retail outlet on Kauai) so I believe that Cingular service piggybacks the ATT towers, here. ATT has been notoriously bad at coverage areas here.

A friend of mine (former ATT employee) recommended Spring or T-Mobile for best coverage area.

Does anyone know if ATT/Cingular has added towers in this area or expanded coverage at all?
    AT&T coverage on the Big Island is rivaled only by Verizon. I have a Treo600 with AT&T, and I get great coverage everywhere from South Point to the top of Mauna Kea to the North Kohala coast. During my recent trips to Oahu and Maui, I have also had great coverage (but I did not go anywhere off the beaten path).
    I used to have T-Mobile here, and I switched to AT&T becuase of the horrible T-Mobile coverage. T-Mobile is fine on the main roads/areas, but anywhere off the beaten path you get nothing.
    I hope this helps!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply! It's definitely something to think about... hmmm decisions decisions...
    a friend of mine had to go to hilo to work. and he has AT&T and on numerous occassions, the voice would chop out and eventually drop the call. and it does it all the time. its frustrating. and this is in downtown hilo and the banyan drive area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy15
    Hi all,

Like everyone else, I'm drooling in anticipation over the release of the GSM 650. My 600 is a Cingular (unlocked) phone that I use on T-Mobile. I'm greatly disappointed to hear that the Cingular version will most probably be locked. I can't tell you how frustrated I am waiting for this upgrade.

I've even considered switching over to Cingular just because I think T-Mobile is falling behind the other major carriers.

However, one of the four phones on my plan is newly established and under 1-year contract. Additionally, Cingular has never had service in Hawaii before (with the exception of a short-lived retail outlet on Kauai) so I believe that Cingular service piggybacks the ATT towers, here. ATT has been notoriously bad at coverage areas here.

A friend of mine (former ATT employee) recommended Spring or T-Mobile for best coverage area.

Does anyone know if ATT/Cingular has added towers in this area or expanded coverage at all?