Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello GSM Treo users - I am currently a VZN Treo 600 user and am seriously considering transfering to Cingular for a variety of reasons. But as I reviewed the Cingular website I was shocked at the price of their data plans, the MediaNET I believe it is called. $9.99 for 2MB of data...I have the unlimited plan on VZN for $45.99 and on average use 15 to 20MB of data transfer per month, sometimes more. On the Cingular plan, at $0.005 per KB over my plan, that would be $100 for 20MB of data. To me that seems crazy...I thought Cingular was suppose to be cheaper then VZN with regards to data costs? I have seen a few threads that talk about an unlimited plan with Cingualr for $19.99 per month, but I can't find it on their site. Please help me out here - do those of you with a Cingular Treo 600 just not surf the web that much on it? I personally love that feature, and is one of the major reasons I purchased the phone in the first place. Please help me understand what I thought was the savings of moving to Cingular.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Check Sprint out. Only $10-$15/month unlimited data/messaging and for 5 bucks more you can also roam on Verizon's network. Or do you travel globally and need GSM?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for an unlocked gsm and will use my $19.99 unlimited data plan with T-Mobile.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  4.    #4  
    Xenophonite - I am moving into a role that will have me traveling more internationally and so the GSM option is very attractive. I could rent a phone from VZN for those times I am out of the country, but what a pain that would be.
    Jeff
    I'm surprised Sprint/Verizon do not have dual GSM/CDMA phones to allow roaming overseas. Does one exist?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I think you're looking for their MEdia Works plan, which is unlimited for $19.99/mo. If you go through their online purchase process, you'll see it listed among the extras available after picking a voice plan.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on the plan, that's great. Final question - is the web browsing a "limited" internet to sites Cingular has contracted, or basically unlimited as i have now with VZN? Like Fox News doesn't have a "smartphone site" like MSN, but if i am willing to wait for the graphics to load, etc. I can still view it, read the articles, etc. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!
    Jeff
    MEdia Works does not seem to have port blocking or the like. Web pages load as fast and complete as your bandwidth and the Blazer browser allow. You certainly can benefit from sites tailored to mobile devices (e.g. Google and Mapquest have special sites). Works great for me.
    I tried to add media works online earlier today but it would not accept it as I was trying to convert to familytalk plan, so I just called and had it added on.
    does mediaworks limit web access to wap enabled sites only?? or can you get http sites also?
    if you can get decent T-Mobile reception
    you can get Internet option for $19.99 with voice or $29.99 stand-alone
    since Treo600 supports GPRS only (GSM version), then the speed difference on providers is not so obvious

TOS of MediaWorks is too vague, this is a major drawback for me (because I use phone as modem, and use over 300MB a month)
    Just got this off the Media Works link above.

Can I access every site on the Web?
    No, the microbrowser in the Internet-enabled phones can only access sites that are in WML (Wireless Markup Language) format. If you enter an HTML or HDML address, you will receive an error message on your phone's screen.

The pamphlet states that these plans are not compatible with any PDA phones (SX66, Blackberry, Treo) so how is so many people getting this Media Works setup with there Treo?

Also why do you have to have a data plan with this phone in order to get a new account setup?

I have the v600 and HP2215 and all I want is to merge both into one. Hello the Treo would be the right combo.

Who in their right mind would pay $79 bones a month plus a voice plan? This is higher than Broadband.

Anyways if you don't have to have a data plan with the Treo than what do you need to say to the CS reps? Help us Newbies.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on the plan, that's great. Final question - is the web browsing a "limited" internet to sites Cingular has contracted, or basically unlimited as i have now with VZN? Like Fox News doesn't have a "smartphone site" like MSN, but if i am willing to wait for the graphics to load, etc. I can still view it, read the articles, etc. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!
    Never had any problem with MEdia Works blockign me from anything. Except from sites that the browser does not support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    Just got this off the Media Works link above.

Can I access every site on the Web?
    No, the microbrowser in the Internet-enabled phones can only access sites that are in WML (Wireless Markup Language) format. If you enter an HTML or HDML address, you will receive an error message on your phone's screen.

The pamphlet states that these plans are not compatible with any PDA phones (SX66, Blackberry, Treo) so how is so many people getting this Media Works setup with there Treo?

Also why do you have to have a data plan with this phone in order to get a new account setup?

I have the v600 and HP2215 and all I want is to merge both into one. Hello the Treo would be the right combo.

Who in their right mind would pay $79 bones a month plus a voice plan? This is higher than Broadband.

Anyways if you don't have to have a data plan with the Treo than what do you need to say to the CS reps? Help us Newbies.

Thanks in advance
    That is right, it is on the site, but it is not true. you can access everything, I have had it for four months and browse like crazy.
    I don't know what to think about these CS reps, I currently have a v600 and they will not allow me to add the treo 600 or 650 when it comes out to a family plan $9.99 they tell me I would have to start a new contract and pick a new voice plan and data plan in order to get the treo 650. I told the rep I didn't want the High price data plan that I wanted the unlimited Media plan. They told me can't do that and than handed me the Media pamphlet and highlighted the part that states I can't get it with a data phone.

So how are you guys getting Cingular/ATT to set this up instead of a data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    I don't know what to think about these CS reps, I currently have a v600 and they will not allow me to add the treo 600 or 650 when it comes out to a family plan $9.99 they tell me I would have to start a new contract and pick a new voice plan and data plan in order to get the treo 650. I told the rep I didn't want the High price data plan that I wanted the unlimited Media plan. They told me can't do that and than handed me the Media pamphlet and highlighted the part that states I can't get it with a data phone.

So how are you guys getting Cingular/ATT to set this up instead of a data plan?
    Ask for no plan or add a $2.99 measured data plan. Go home and call customer service and add MEdia Works $19.99 plan. and you can add it to family plan, use the phone and not the stupid stores, they probably get commision on new contracts.
    Thank you.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So I'm confused ... Cingular know *exaclty* what kind of phone you have the SIM in. If they didn't want you to use MediaWorks on the 650 they could just disable it. I suspect they already do this it if you put the SIM in a Sierra Wireless card?

I sure hope the 650 comes unlocked!
    When they reference WAP-only here, they are referring to the WAP browsers on the phones they sell, not the data service itself. The data service should just provide your device (effectively) with an IP connection (over GPRS/EDGE). What your device can do with it after that depends on what software is on it.

They're going to try to sell you a higher rate plan for PDAs and laptops because they know you're going to use more of their network (more bandwidth, more connections, etc., etc.).

I'd follow cglaguna's advice - keep your device type to yourself, buy a voiceplan and add the data plan onto it separately.

As for the subsidized phone pricing, that's a decision the carriers in general have made, to use the phones as loss-leaders to gain new customers. If you feel like having a head-to-head with Cingular, you might want to walk into a store (a true Cingular shop, not a mall fruitstand with cell phones) and tell them if they won't sell you the phone at the subsidized price, you're going to create a new account with them and use phone number transfer to keep your existing Cingular number, cancelling the existing service. This will only work if you're past the required period on your existing contract, of course.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast