Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is my first post. I've been lurking here for several weeks and have found this to be an excellent site for timely and accurate Treo information.

I am a long time Verizon customer, but I plan to switch to Cingular when the GSM Treo 650 is released. I would like to have a family plan with 2 lines; 1 line would be the Treo 650 while the other would be an inexpensive "wireless internet express" capable phone (possibly the Motorola V180). As many others have stated in this thread, I would like to be able to use the $19.99 Media Works package with my Treo.

My question is - If I activate new Cingular service with the two phones mentioned above, could I simply add Media Works to the Motorola phone and then swap SIM cards between the two phones? Would this give me Media Works' unlimited data plan on my Treo? I have never had a GSM phone before, so I have no experience with SIM card technology. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject.
    as of now, yes, I am still checking with my top end contacts, not the in store knuckleheads to see if there are any issues. But I would say yes that will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by usskaos1
    My question is - If I activate new Cingular service with the two phones mentioned above, could I simply add Media Works to the Motorola phone and then swap SIM cards between the two phones? Would this give me Media Works' unlimited data plan on my Treo? I have never had a GSM phone before, so I have no experience with SIM card technology. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject.
    Yes. I signed up with Cingular (Family plan with 1 extra line) and got the free Samsung X427 phones (ANY normal non PDA phone will do, especially any in this list http://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones) for both lines and had Media Works added to both lines. We bought (full price unlocked) Treo 600's from PalmOne and just swap the SIMS to the Treos.

Another method that may save you money if you're a new subrscriber would be to buy and activate the Treo from Cingular and just not get a data plan. After you get the phone, call customer care (from home) and ask them to add Media Works unlimited to your account. If they argue with you, just decline to add anythihng, hang up and keep calling back until you get someone who will do it. I've read on previous posts that people have done it this way. You could even state the case that it was offered on the Treo up until a few weeks ago and still want it, maybe they'll cave. But be persistent and you'll likely get it. I've not known anyone to say they couldn't get it that wasn't persistent. When people have gotten it in the past, they say customer care never asked what kind of phone they had and just added it.
    However, if you do this, you can't get the additional rebate (that requires you to buy the $40 data plan.) but at least you get roughly $150 off the price of the phone as a new subscriber. All else fails, you can return the Treo to Cingular within the (14?) day trial period for a normal phone (say you hate it and want a flip phone) then go back to plan A (which is add media works to the flip phone, buy your Treo elsewhere, and swap SIMs.)

One last thing is that once you're subscribe, sign up for web access to your account and bill. From the web site you can add features (like media works unlimited) to your account online, but I have NO IDEA if this will work when Cingular knows you have a Treo. It's worth a shot, though. It lookslike you can select it, at least.

But for anyone that's already a Cingular subscriber and don't qualify for an upgrade discount and you're going to pay full price for the phone, don't bother. Just get it from PalmOne and don't tell Cingular.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/18/2005 at 07:14 PM.
    I tried to add the media works online and the server would not recognize it. I went through the insurance for a replacement for my damaged T720. I went to upgrade and convert to familytalk, then add the features, but when I went on to the next screen showing your features the media works was not there. I tried this over and over but the same thing happend. So I just called and had it added on through customer service because I do plan on upgrading to a combo device (whether its PPC or Palm, not sure yet) by the end of the month. Just not through Cingular. BUT take note, the customer service rep did ask me what kind of phone I had.

I would say switch now and get two free phones (V180?), and media works, then when the GSM 650 comes along buy it from PalmOne and just put your SIM card in. Remember its the service you pay for each month, not the phone. The phone discounts are just to get you sign into a service contract. Your situation is a bit different than mine though as I am already with Cingular. But to answer your question, yes you could do that. if they allow you to add-on media works and you don't mind the other number. Just keep in mind that they do not offer insurance on the Treo or any other smartphone. So be careful!!
    Last edited by JerryP2375; 01/18/2005 at 08:40 PM.
    Thanks for all the replies. Since I will be a new subscriber to Cingular, I would like to try to take advantage of the subsidized Treo 650 pricing (hoping for $150 less than PalmOne retail).

Let me see if I understand my options -
    It sounds like my best bet would be to activate 2 new lines under a family rate plan, where one line would be the Treo at subsidized pricing and the other line would be some freebie media capable phone. At time of activation, I should NOT add any data plans. Afterwards, I should log into my account on the Cingular website and try to add the Media Works plan to my Treo. If it won't let me do that, I should add Media Works to my freebie phone instead and then swap the SIM cards (I don't intend to port my phone number from Verizon, so it makes no difference to me if the numbers are switched between the two new Cingular phones). If I can't find a way to complete this transaction through the Cingular website account access, my next alternative would be to call customer service and ask them to add Media Works to my account (and hope that they don't ask or care about what type of phone I have). If they refuse to add the plan because of the Treo, I should call back later and ask them to add Media Works to the freebie phone and then swap the SIM cards. If all these shenanigans fail, then I should just return the Treo during my grace period and take another freebie phone as a replacement. Add Media Works to the freebie replacement, buy an unlocked Treo at full retail pricing from Palm, and then take the SIM card out of the freebie phone and put it in the Treo. Does all this sound like the right plan of action for me?

Another related question -
    If Media Works is added to a family rate plan, the unlimited data feature applies to a specific line, right? For example, let's say that I wanted to have unlimited data for both my phones. Would I have to pay $39.98 (2 x $19.99) to have the plan on both phones? Just wondering.
    Thanks for all the replies. Since I will be a new subscriber to Cingular, I would like to try to take advantage of the subsidized Treo 650 pricing (hoping for $150 less than PalmOne retail).

Let me see if I understand my options -
    It sounds like my best bet would be to activate 2 new lines under a family rate plan, where one line would be the Treo at subsidized pricing and the other line would be some freebie media capable phone. At time of activation, I should NOT add any data plans. Afterwards, I should log into my account on the Cingular website and try to add the Media Works plan to my Treo. If it won't let me do that, I should add Media Works to my freebie phone instead and then swap the SIM cards (I don't intend to port my phone number from Verizon, so it makes no difference to me if the numbers are switched between the two new Cingular phones). If I can't find a way to complete this transaction through the Cingular website account access, my next alternative would be to call customer service and ask them to add Media Works to my account (and hope that they don't ask or care about what type of phone I have). If they refuse to add the plan because of the Treo, I should call back later and ask them to add Media Works to the freebie phone and then swap the SIM cards. If all these shenanigans fail, then I should just return the Treo during my grace period and take another freebie phone as a replacement. Add Media Works to the freebie replacement, buy an unlocked Treo at full retail pricing from Palm, and then take the SIM card out of the freebie phone and put it in the Treo. Does all this sound like the right plan of action for me?

Another related question -
    If Media Works is added to a family rate plan, the unlimited data feature applies to a specific line, right? For example, let's say that I wanted to have unlimited data for both my phones. Would I have to pay $39.98 (2 x $19.99) to have the plan on both phones? Just wondering.
    Well it doesn't need to be that difficult but yes that will work.
    Buy the 2 phones both without data. Go home put the treo Sim in freebie phone. Call add media works to it. Switch sims.

If all else fails yes do the return, but I can't see howit will fail.

regarding family plan- only applies ot one phone, yes 2 X $19.95 as well as all phone features except free mobile to mobile applies to both obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Well it doesn't need to be that difficult but yes that will work.
    Buy the 2 phones both without data. Go home put the treo Sim in freebie phone. Call add media works to it. Switch sims.

If all else fails yes do the return, but I can't see howit will fail.

regarding family plan- only applies ot one phone, yes 2 X $19.95 as well as all phone features except free mobile to mobile applies to both obviously.
    Got it! Thanks for your help!
    Doesn't the MEdia basic ($9.95) also have unlimited web browsing, but lacks the instant messaging and pop/IMAP email support?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Doesn't the MEdia basic ($9.95) also have unlimited web browsing, but lacks the instant messaging and pop/IMAP email support?
    No,
    Package MEdia Basic--------------$7.99 per month
    Text/Instant Messages Included----250
    Additional Text/Instant Messages --$0.10 per message
    Multimedia Messages Included ------50
    Additional Multimedia Messages ----$0.25 per message
    Wireless Internet Express ---------1 MB
    Additional Wireless Internet Express $0.01 per KB

MEdia Works Charge -------------$19.99 per month
    Text/Instant Messages Included ---1500
    Additional Text/Instant Messages -$0.03 per message
    Multimedia Messages Included -----200
    Additional Multimedia Messages ----$0.20 per message
    Wireless Internet Express ----------Unlimited
    Additional Wireless Internet Express N/A
    TY, CG. If I had your patience I would get a cheap (actually free) phone from Cingular and wait for the an unlocked GSM T650. But patience is not one of my virtues. That's why I never call Sprint CS anymore.

Btw, does it have to be unlocked? or is that just for international use?
    No it does not have to be unlocked as long as you stay with Cingular.
    The only thing that is getting me is that I currently own the V600 with an ATT sim. My wife is using VZ phone but wants my V600 and wants to cancel VZ. Life would be easy if they would just let me buy the T650 by letting me add the T650 as my second phone (family plan) with a new contract for both. My understanding is when you add a phone to the family plan you have to sign a new contract term with the current voice plans. This is bad for me becasue I got a great voice plan with my v600 lots of extra minutes per/mo 450 free promo minutes added to my regular plan. I will loose all this if I go with the family plan. But as of now they will not let my do a family plan with a regular phone and a data phone.

Anyone know a back door to my issue? I'm willing to give up my free promo minutes and I'm also willing to sign a new contract. M2M will work better anyways and the rollover minutes will also work better. Help. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    The only thing that is getting me is that I currently own the V600 with an ATT sim. My wife is using VZ phone but wants my V600 and wants to cancel VZ. Life would be easy if they would just let me buy the T650 by letting me add the T650 as my second phone (family plan) with a new contract for both. My understanding is when you add a phone to the family plan you have to sign a new contract term with the current voice plans. This is bad for me becasue I got a great voice plan with my v600 lots of extra minutes per/mo 450 free promo minutes added to my regular plan. I will loose all this if I go with the family plan. But as of now they will not let my do a family plan with a regular phone and a data phone.

Anyone know a back door to my issue? I'm willing to give up my free promo minutes and I'm also willing to sign a new contract. M2M will work better anyways and the rollover minutes will also work better. Help. Thanks in advance.
    No, you are right. That is the way they get people to change their plans. I would suggest looking at the cost difference. I have noticed that the family plans are not always the best deal. Compare and see how it works out keeping your existing plan and just adding an individual other one.
    So i took all of your advice. Last night got two free phones from Cingular signed up for the 2000 min plan for 99, plus 9.99 for the 2nd phone. Added media works for 19.99 to both and when the 650 comes out will go through Palm and switch. The cool part about all of it is through work we get a 15% discount. Just got off the phone with Cing and now am paying 84.15 for the plan, plus 8.49 for the 2nd line and 16.99 for media works - now all I need is the 650!!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    BUT take note, the customer service rep did ask me what kind of phone I had.
    And you can tell them you have a motorola v400 (for example.) Just don't tell them you have a Treo 600, tell the what they want to hear. I've read that other people have done this successfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    So i took all of your advice. Last night got two free phones from Cingular signed up for the 2000 min plan for 99, plus 9.99 for the 2nd phone. Added media works for 19.99 to both and when the 650 comes out will go through Palm and switch. The cool part about all of it is through work we get a 15% discount. Just got off the phone with Cing and now am paying 84.15 for the plan, plus 8.49 for the 2nd line and 16.99 for media works - now all I need is the 650!!!!
    Awesome! This is exactly what I did when I got my Treo 600s.
    Can't wait for that Treo 650. I just hope PalmOne doesn't take too long to start selling it after Cingular does.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    And you can tell them you have a motorola v400 (for example.) Just don't tell them you have a Treo 600, tell the what they want to hear. I've read that other people have done this successfully.
    huh? If all you're doing is swapping SIM cards why would you consult with a sales/service rep? I can understand in case of Verizon where you're changing ESN that you hafta tell CS what type of phone it is, but Cingular GSM???
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    huh? If all you're doing is swapping SIM cards why would you consult with a sales/service rep? I can understand in case of Verizon where you're changing ESN that you hafta tell CS what type of phone it is, but Cingular GSM???
    Yeah... I think there's a misundestanding.
    The post I replied to said the called and had media works added to his service plan. At the time Cingular asked what kind of phone he had.
    All I was trying to point out is that regarless of what phone you had (Treo or not) tell them that the phone model you have is one of their approved phones like any of the standard flip phones (in other words, lie to them.) When they ask they're just taking your word for it, they aren't doing any kind of device activation, they just want you to ask the question. If you tell them you have a Treo, they likely say that media works is not available for the Treo and refuse to add the package, refering you the $40 data package instead. The answer to why you have to consult with customer service at all, is to get media works package added to your service plan.

Of course if you had media works added when you signed up in the first place, it's becuase you signed up with an approved phone. Yes, you can just swap you sim over to the Treo after the fact and use it without consulting Cingular.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12