1.    #1  
    The Palm One booth at CES had 3 working 650's to play with and as a T-Mobile 600 user I am both happy and depressed. She stated that while a date hadn't been announced, it would more than likely be this month...for Cingular. She said that TMobile had been presented the 650 and all they did was ask where the WiFi was. It seems they are more interested in catering to the Starbucks users who use their Hot Spot sevice than their customers. According to the Palm One rep, T-Mobile will not release a 650 with their specs on it. One will work on their network but at this moment they have not done any network testing or development of firmware. I returned today and spoke to a product engineer and he said the same thing, the lack of wifi killed any interest in the product they had. They feel that it's as much if not more important than bluetooth. Neither could tell me for sure if an unlocked version of the Cingular 650 would be available for purchase but both said they will work on TMobile just the same if they are unlocked. It was very interesting to hear them candidly bash on TMobile and on both days I came away with bad feelings about ever getting a TMobile 650. Either way, the 650 was amazing and will be worth every penny.
    Last edited by rysmith; 01/08/2005 at 04:14 AM.
    I guess that is some good news for me as a cingular person. But, now I am beginning to wonder. Is wi-fi worth waiting for on the Treo or going to another unit? Is the shift going towards wi-fi vs. EDGE and other 3G broadband technology that the cell companies are pushing?
    well, then why Tmo don't sell XDAIIs, it has triple wireless
  4.    #4  
    When it comes down to it, with wifi access as spotty as it is and will be for the next 3-5 years, does it make sense to pass on a much improved 650 today? With Edge or other 3G, I'm pressed to find sites that can't be viewed.
    It'll take a few years to work out. As rysmith says, WiFi access in the US is spotty at best (Starbucks and above-average hotels are the only semi-safe bets, outside of the homes of techno weenies like us). The mobile carriers are devising strategies in the face of 802.11n and other wireless WAN technologies that threaten to eat their data services lunch, and with cities and towns (and even individuals) eager to set up their own free, subsidized or at least darn cheap WiFi access. If the wranglings with cable TV regulation/de-regulation and more recent fights like the Philadelphia/Verizon case are any indicator, it will be messy and won't end well for the consumer.

In the meantime, the Treo supports EDGE (for GSM) and 1xRTT (for CDMA), so I don't see any reason to wait for a Treo with WiFi. Unless you definitely need to use WiFi while on the move on a regular basis (e.g., EDGE or 1xRTT rates won't be sufficient for your needs, and the spotty WiFi coverage isn't an issue in your context).
    take the time to sign my petition. thanks.
    probably Tmo don't see SD wifi card has driver for Treo, then they refuse to sell
    Quote Originally Posted by rysmith
    When it comes down to it, with wifi access as spotty as it is and will be for the next 3-5 years, does it make sense to pass on a much improved 650 today? With Edge or other 3G, I'm pressed to find sites that can't be viewed.
    The carriers are not interested in WiFi for hotspots but for enterprises. They want a phone that can be used on WiFi when at work and cellular when off-site. Sprint is activley pursuing this strategy to get both the wired and the wireless business. One user account and number.

One might want to use a Treo at a hotspot to surf the web but not for phone calls. Even free hotpsots normally require that you logon. You would not want to do that just to save minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia169
    I guess that is some good news for me as a cingular person. But, now I am beginning to wonder. Is wi-fi worth waiting for on the Treo or going to another unit? Is the shift going towards wi-fi vs. EDGE and other 3G broadband technology that the cell companies are pushing?
    Well, I am happy with my 600 and generally unhappy with the 650. That said, both will likely be economically obsolete before true 3G (UTMS/wcdma) is widely available. EDGE, at $80- per month, might be economical for primary laptop access to the Internet, but not for surfing and e-mail on a handheld.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Well, I am happy with my 600 and generally unhappy with the 650. That said, both will likely be economically obsolete before true 3G (UTMS/wcdma) is widely available. EDGE, at $80- per month, might be economical for primary laptop access to the Internet, but not for surfing and e-mail on a handheld.
    So you bought a 650? What specifically are you unhappy about?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Your information is incorrect. Your $80 figure is probably for (as they describe it):
    "Access your e-mail, corporate intranet, and the Internet while on the go by wirelessly connecting your laptop to the Internet using a PC card as your modem. Requires a Cingular Wireless PC card."

This is the rate schedule w/$80 for unlimited service:
    http://onlinestored.cingular.com/web...e&subOrderId=1

Just tether the laptop to your Treo or other EDGE handset like a Nokia 6620, or others via bluetooth (or USB cable) and it will be $24.99/mo if you already have the AT&T plan or $19.99 a month if you have Cingular and you will have the same EDGE speed. If you were told $80, try another rep., that one was wrong.

This is the service you want for Cingular: http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/htm...ture_works.htm

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray