1.    #1  
    i have an unlocked treo 600. it was the unbranded one.

i currently have cingular service and i will be going to brazilia (rio) in february for uknowwhat and i wanted to verify how my phone service will work.

i assume that i will be able to make and receive calls? is this true/false

i assume that only outgoing calls will be at int'l rates? true/false

if i purchase a local sim, i won't be able to call the us (without calling card)? t/f

thanks for the help,

ahmed
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    If you travel internationally on Cingular, you need to activate International Call Allow (to allow incoming calls when abroad) and International Roaming (to allow dialing out). There are some batter international rate plans on Cingular if you know you will be making/receiving a lot of calls (you pay a monthly fee). Incoming calls on Cingular are billed at full charge (same as outgoing rates). You are wise to consider purchasing a local SIM. That way, incoming calls to the local number are usually free to you (and at whatever rate your caller pays). Also, often the local SIM has a better calling plan abroad (i.e. back to the US) than Cingular.
    Cingular recently lowered the rates, most are pretty cheap now, I would check as I am taking an extended (7 weeks) vacation this summer, I was planning to purchase local sims in europe, but I think last I checked Cingular was $1.29 a minute in Europe. Depending on how much you need the phone, it could be cheaper to roam internationally, as Jposin said you need to sign up for the service.
  4.    #4  
    i checked with cingular and i do have 'allow' and 'international roaming'.

i also checked with gsmworldwide, i can purchase a sim with TIM or Claro and get free incoming calls (from anywhere) all locals are free and the int'l rates are cheaper then if i used my cingular.

thanks for the help.

p.s. what the hell is taking palm 1 so long for a gsm 650!!!!
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Quote Originally Posted by franknitty69
    i checked with cingular and i do have 'allow' and 'international roaming'.

i also checked with gsmworldwide, i can purchase a sim with TIM or Claro and get free incoming calls (from anywhere) all locals are free and the int'l rates are cheaper then if i used my cingular.

thanks for the help.

p.s. what the hell is taking palm 1 so long for a gsm 650!!!!
    Very cool this is the info I need, what is TIM or Claro, does it include Data and SMS?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Very cool this is the info I need, what is TIM or Claro, does it include Data and SMS?
    TIM and Claro are wireless providers in brazil. both has coverage in rio and sao paulo. Claro seems to be the dominent in rio (everywhere i went, claro).

you can purchase prepaid sim cards. these give you unlimited incoming and xx outgoing (depending on how many minutes you purchased).

hope this helps.
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    I'm planning on getting the Treo 650 from cingular and wanted to know my options if i got to europe?

I will only be in europe for probably 2 weeks, Germany specially.

I will not be on the phone heavilly but maybe just to check in at home.

What about Data also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99
    I'm planning on getting the Treo 650 from cingular and wanted to know my options if i got to europe?

What about Data also?
    I'd be interested in hearing if you can get Data service with a Europe/Asia/S. America prepaid SIMM. My experience with local prepaid SIMM is that they don't have DATA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99

What about Data also?
    Yeah, Europe is what i need too for 7 weeks but not just one country. That's my issue and the fact that Cingular lowered internation roaming prices and no fee plan. I fI can have sms, data and 1.29 phone calls, it almost seems worth it to roam with Cingular.

I need to find Europe sims with sms and data
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Log onto: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/index.html for options worldwide. My son just arrived in Sevilla for semester abroad and bought prepaid Vodafone sim card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtsm
    Log onto: http://www.prepaidgsm.net/index.html for options worldwide. My son just arrived in Sevilla for semester abroad and bought prepaid Vodafone sim card.
    thanks for link good stuff
    again, if you are staying in one region the cards pay off. I am traveling to 5 countries, I have seen one "europe card" but it will end up costing me more than roaming. Hmmm, my search goes on. I need data.
    Recently I went to France, Germany, & the U.K. with a Cingular Treo. SMS worked fine & I was able to make calls. I did enable the international feature before leaving and, while my roaming charges were substantial, they weren't enough to prevent my boss from signing an expense report (I doubt a student could've afforded it).
    Quote Originally Posted by ldw_58
    Recently I went to France, Germany, & the U.K. with a Cingular Treo. SMS worked fine & I was able to make calls. I did enable the international feature before leaving and, while my roaming charges were substantial, they weren't enough to prevent my boss from signing an expense report (I doubt a student could've afforded it).
    Other than sms, were you able to use data?
    As a side note, we just went to Mexico and used our Cingular SIM cards for roaming on Telcel. Data worked great. I was impressed that my fiancee's Blackberry was able to retrieve e-mails and that I got my voicemail notifications on my Treo.

I am such a geek....
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Other than sms, were you able to use data?
    I was able to use data but there were occasional long pauses to get the service started.
    When I travel to places like Brazil I get a local prepaid sim (i used Oi when i was there last year) when I arrive at the airport. I make double sure that the service i buy has free incoming calls and is able to make overseas international calls. I then use my callback service (www.uwtcallback.com) they are the cheapest I have found and the services have been great. It allows me to make very cheap calls from the country back to the US or anywhere in the world actually.
    Good Luck
    Jack
    I travel to Europe a lot. My US carrier is still AT&T with whom I have Discounted International Roaming (DIR) which costs me $3.95 per month while I have it activated and gives me a flat rate of $0.99 per minute for all calls within Europe or back to the States. In addition I have pre-paid cards in UK (Virgin) and Switzerland (Swisscom). Neither gives me data. Finally I also use a call-back service, (www.aitelephone.com). When back in the States I stop the DIR.

While in Europe I put the local SIM in my unlocked Treo and my AT&T SIM in a second unlocked phone.