1.    #1  
    I am currently with AT&T and have a nokia 6200 (it is a triband 850/1800/1900). My phone went flying off the roof of my car yesterday doing 45 mph. I recovered what was left of the phone--namely the sim--and took it over to the AT&C store and the sim still works. But now I am left with some confusion regarding the transfering of sims to new phones. I do know that AT&T is migrating everything over to Cingular. So, to get a new phone, AT&C is wanting me to migrate my account to Cingular. Or buy an AT&T phone that are still left in the store (they only had 3 phones, and they all sucked). Thus I have to either buy a Cingular phone with a new plan or go get an unlocked phone.

Here is where things get sticky. I am on AT&T's Charter Digital Plan--$99.00 unlimited minutes, free long distance, no roaming, and national coverage. This plan will continue forever as long as I do not change plans. So, as you can see, I really do not want to change plans, nor migrate over to Cingular as they will not honor the plan--they will only honor it as long as I stay with AT&T (which is grandfathered in).

So, if I go and get an unlocked phone preferrably the 650 when available, will my sim work with it? Meaning will the 650 work on the AT&T/Cingular network with my AT&T sim card. I have read post stating that Cingular new sims are 64k sims. How does this affect things?

Furthermore, assuming my sim will work with an unlocked 650, and because my sim is an AT&T sim, will the 650 even work on AT&C network or do I have to have a Cingular sim? And, what functionality will I loose by not flashing the firmware to Cingular or do I have to flash to Cingular? Or, will my current AT&T sim work on a Cingular flashed 650?

My goal is to get a Treo 650 and NOT have to transfer/migrate my account from AT&T to Cingular as I do NOT want to loose my plan. I do know that Cingular will have to honor and allow AT&T access to network forever, or risked getting sued. But, I figured that since my current phone/sim is triband capable, this should work on a treo.

I apologize of the long post. But I have been reading a lot of threads and can not quite determine if I am SOL. Most people are looking for unlocked 650's but will still take a Cingular plan, etc.

If you would help me in this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I have an original cingular unlocked 600 that was purchased straight from handspring. I have used a attws sim it in from day one. I also have an unlocked nokia 3595 that was originally a cingular phone that my sim works fine in. Actually I have quite a few phones that I swap my sim in and out of with no problems. I plan to buy an unlocked 650 when available and use my attws sim in it. I would not migrate to cingular at this time if it was me. Get a cheap ebay phone ( Siemens a56/c56 go for $10 or so) and wait for the 650's. Just make sure it is either locked to attws or unlocked.

greg
    hope u hav something in writing that this paln will continue forever beacuase nothing is grandfathered with cingular. I love the company but things I got free years ago no longer are free such as text messaging... when they phase a plan out it still continues for a couple of years but is eventually phased out.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I have an original cingular unlocked 600 that was purchased straight from handspring. I have used a attws sim it in from day one. I also have an unlocked nokia 3595 that was originally a cingular phone that my sim works fine in. Actually I have quite a few phones that I swap my sim in and out of with no problems. I plan to buy an unlocked 650 when available and use my attws sim in it. I would not migrate to cingular at this time if it was me. Get a cheap ebay phone ( Siemens a56/c56 go for $10 or so) and wait for the 650's. Just make sure it is either locked to attws or unlocked.

greg
    In theory, any unlocked phone will work with your SIM chip. Don't listen to the sales people at ATT and/or Cingular; they just want you to commit to another 1 or 2 yr contract and buy one of their phones.

I have several phones, all tri-band and unlocked (all bought when traveling on business in Asia -- cheaper and get the latest models faster), and swap my USA TMO sims chip along with sims of other carriers in Asia....never a problem. And my wife and two boys have USA purchases phones, and can swap sims anytime!

As writer above suggests, i would go to eBay, and buy a cheap unlocked phone and it should work fine. In fact, I've got a couple of motorola timeport phones for sale....this posting is not meant to pitch the phones! If you're interested, send me PM.

Otherwise, go to eBay....tons of alternatives. good luck and happy new year.