Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems to me that if T-Mo will make us all pay $19.99 for data (no more port 80 T-zones) then a move to Cingular and a discounted T650 might be a good deal for us.

anyone else thinking the same thing?
    I was thinking about it but when I went to look at the rate plans, nothing could beat the one that Im on right now with T-Mobile, 1000 anytime minutes w/ unlimited nights and weekends for $39 a month. But if Cingular still gets the phone before T-Mobile (which they very likely will) and P1 doesn't offer an unlocked one, I might be switching.
    I had Tmo about six months ago and switched my unlocked 600 to Cingular. I don't get quite as many minutes but find I can use them better because I get a much better signal than I ever did with Tmo in Houston, especially now with the addition of ATTWS towers. I also have MediaWorks which is also 19.99 but seem to get faster data rates (anecdotal) than with Tmo. I'm very happy I made the switch.
    EK
    I have both in So Cal. I love Cingular more bars, faster data. (Especially after the wedding ATT/Cing)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekegley
    I had Tmo about six months ago and switched my unlocked 600 to Cingular. I don't get quite as many minutes but find I can use them better because I get a much better signal than I ever did with Tmo in Houston, especially now with the addition of ATTWS towers. I also have MediaWorks which is also 19.99 but seem to get faster data rates (anecdotal) than with Tmo. I'm very happy I made the switch.
    EK
    I also switched. I was able to display a 20% speed increase with a GPRS data connection with Cingular compared to TMobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    Seems to me that if T-Mo will make us all pay $19.99 for data (no more port 80 T-zones) then a move to Cingular and a discounted T650 might be a good deal for us.

anyone else thinking the same thing?
    Not me -no way. T-Mobile has excellent tech support at their 800 number -and it must be a good place to work for because the same personnel are always there at my local store. Last month my Treo stopped syncing and they *gave* me a new sync cable. I've tried all national carriers except Verizon and only Sprint came close -and only in their store support. (I've always needed their data plan.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I do have to admit that Tmo has the best customer support. I just don't have to call customer support that often, since my phone works so many more places :-)
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Not me -no way. T-Mobile has excellent tech support at their 800 number -and it must be a good place to work for because the same personnel are always there at my local store. Last month my Treo stopped syncing and they *gave* me a new sync cable. I've tried all national carriers except Verizon and only Sprint came close -and only in their store support. (I've always needed their data plan.)
    Not my experience. In store support always brainless. Tech support via the phone has been variable. They were unable to help with TMobile setup of a Nokia handset because it was not currently sold in US. TMobile was currently selling it in Europe. I needed Nokia to SMS the correct TMobile setup to me.

The only criteria that seems to matter when choosing a carrier is the quality of the network coverage where you will use the phone. In my region, the best coverage is with Cingular and with a small local CDMA carrier, not Sprint, not Verizon.

In the past, the best technical support I have experienced has been from ATT Wireless. Their web site setup support pages and their forums have been superb. I have no idea how these web pages will survive post merger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    Not my experience. In store support always brainless. Tech support via the phone has been variable. They were unable to help with TMobile setup of a Nokia handset because it was not currently sold in US. TMobile was currently selling it in Europe. I needed Nokia to SMS the correct TMobile setup to me.

The only criteria that seems to matter when choosing a carrier is the quality of the network coverage where you will use the phone. In my region, the best coverage is with Cingular and with a small local CDMA carrier, not Sprint, not Verizon.

In the past, the best technical support I have experienced has been from ATT Wireless. Their web site setup support pages and their forums have been superb. I have no idea how these web pages will survive post merger.
    Coverage is certainly the first criterion, but if several work well where you live and travel, it's only the first one. I require network constancy and reliable hardware, and when I pay what I pay for service, I'm not going to support pages and forums: I expect techs to diagnose and solve my problem. I've stayed out-of-contract with T-M because they seem to understand this principle.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipacmm
    I was thinking about it but when I went to look at the rate plans, nothing could beat the one that Im on right now with T-Mobile, 1000 anytime minutes w/ unlimited nights and weekends for $39 a month. But if Cingular still gets the phone before T-Mobile (which they very likely will) and P1 doesn't offer an unlocked one, I might be switching.
    I have the TMO Get More 1000 plan and though I do get 1000 anytime minutes, it doesn't come with free nights and weekends (See this link ). Are you sure that your plan includes unlimited nights and weekends? Was this a limited time offer at some point?

Thanks
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Support is horrible... Lets face it gang... If T-Mo support was SO good...Would you spend as much time as you do in this discussion board...

T-Mo... can you hear me NOW????
    I've found T-Mobile support be good but I don't need them much. Personally, I've had horrible experience with AT&T, but if Cingular is first with the GSM Treo 650 AND it's discounted AND they offer EDGE data speeds that might be enough to push me over to them (maybe).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    I have the TMO Get More 1000 plan and though I do get 1000 anytime minutes, it doesn't come with free nights and weekends (See this link ). Are you sure that your plan includes unlimited nights and weekends? Was this a limited time offer at some point?

Thanks

Yes, it was a limited promotion last year (November/December '03).
    Hey Guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I cannot find this Media Plan for $19.99 for unlimited internet on Cingular's website? All I can find is one for $79.99 which is insane.

I am currently a T-mobile customer and have the $19.99 plan so I am not upset with the loss of T-zones since I needed all the ports open and have used it fully. I would however consider the move to Cingular for all the reasons listed above with all the posts - T-mobile also did me wrong with the whole TMo + HotSpot scandal (which they did agree to honor for the limit of my contract only).

So if I can get higher data speeds (EDGE) + better coverage (including ATT towers) + nice new Treo650 (GSM with memory and bugs fixed) for the same price I am paying TMO ($19.99 unlimited data + a phone plan) = No Brainer.

Please can someone post a link to this Media Plan?
    Thanks
    Aussie.
    It's "kinda" difficult to find but here is the link.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by ekegley
    It's "kinda" difficult to find but here is the link.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    Thanks ... I was looking under 'rate plans > data plans'.
    Most appreciated .. this could swing me to move.

So here is a new question ... if I do a 'Select network' search on my current Treo 600 and it shows 'AT&T Wireless' where I live. Does this mean I will get Cingular coverage now with the merge or do I have to see Cingular?

Thanks for the great help.
    Aussie
    With my T 600 I am not able to do network search anymore. I think Cingular took out that option with the last firmware, but my Treo switches automatically between Tmo, Cingular, and ATT. I can see all three at times in the network ID space. Hope that answers your question.
    ek
    I reread your post. ATT does equal Cingular now. If you see ATT as a Cingular customer you will be able to connect to that tower as well.
    Last edited by ekegley; 12/19/2004 at 04:24 PM.
    Hi, I just switched to Cingular from Verizon in Houston using T600. When I call my voice mail for business on the East Coast - the voice quality degrades and fades out. This doesn't happen with normal voice calls, and doesn't happen with other phones, wireless or wired. Do you have any experience like this??
    Well it seems quite a few people are considering jumping ship from T-mobile to Cingular for an assortment of reasons. Mine would be 3 fold:
    1. To get better coverage where I live (as previously posted I see ATT Wireless - soon to be Cingular stronger in my house)
    2. To get the Treo 650 sooner (although I do want the memory and other issues sorted first)
    3. To get a discount on the 650, since I am guessing T-mobile will not give you a break for being loyal .. so if not I have no reason to be loyal.

All this is great IF the unlimited internet plan is equal or less to the T-mobile $19.99 one I am on (so the Cingular media plan has to be in effect and there is talk of it expiring) AND I need all ports open since I use my current 600 for all sorts of sysadmin duties.

So the final question is I understand there is a problem using VPN clients on Cingular since they do not have an equivalent plan to T-mobile's VPN plans that allow me to use Mergic VPN client since you need a visible IP to use PPTP and I am not aware of a good IPsec client.Is there anyone on Cingular using VPN happily?

If I can do all the above then I am ready to switch if the unlocked GSM version or T-mobile cannot get it together.

Other than that I am happy with T-mobile so I hope they do support this new phone soon and also provide incentive for loyal customers (cough).

Aussie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast