Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thank you! It seems to work for me. Is there a "down-side" or danger????
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite
    Thank you! It seems to work for me. Is there a "down-side" or danger????
    If you're worried about dangers, then maybe you shouldn't use this technique.

So far the problems known are as mentioned in this thread, e.g. proxy doesn't work in all applications - such as some browsers and apps like Directory Assistant; not all web sites can be accessed, such as main sites of Yahoo and Hotmail; not-normal behavior in web browsing e.g. optimized mode in Blazer is not working.

The biggest danger is that T-Mo will find some way to block this access, then we'll really be f*cked.

If there are any other gotchas, we will be sure to mention them here or elsewhere on the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966
    Thru Blazer (or "Web") the settings above give me an error that says "T-zones plan required for this service. Sign up....."
    Anybody have any help?
    You need at least the $4.99 t-zones for this to work I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    If you're worried about dangers, then maybe you shouldn't use this technique.

So far the problems known are as mentioned in this thread, e.g. proxy doesn't work in all applications - such as some browsers and apps like Directory Assistant; not all web sites can be accessed, such as main sites of Yahoo and Hotmail; not-normal behavior in web browsing e.g. optimized mode in Blazer is not working.

The biggest danger is that T-Mo will find some way to block this access, then we'll really be f*cked.

If there are any other gotchas, we will be sure to mention them here or elsewhere on the board.

I think the only "permanent" solution here, is to use proxy on your own home computer, setup to listen on ports 110 or 143. These two ports are POP3 and IMAP mail and will always be available in Tzones plan since mail is the official use of tzones
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr00gt
    I think the only "permanent" solution here, is to use proxy on your own home computer, setup to listen on ports 110 or 143. These two ports are POP3 and IMAP mail and will always be available in Tzones plan since mail is the official use of tzones
    I agree, if and when push comes to shove, we still have a last resort.
    Fellow geeks... I surrendered today and went to the other side with my ol' 270...

After several calls to TZone support... I called today and got a CSR...I had lost tzone funtionality the day after i renewed my family plan.

Called 611 up today and asked for Retention.

Got a lovely woman and told her how i thought it was 'bait and switch'... and that I have seen the internal memo on the net changing the settings... If I wasn't going to get any satisfaction.... I was cancelling today, my 14th day of the new contract... and last day to cancel

She gave me a $70 one month credit, and I then signed for data plan
    At $70 credit for my addtional $15 per month, I figured it's like getting 5 more months at $4.99...
    Last edited by TrySpammingMe; 12/21/2004 at 07:12 PM.
    Found a proxy program that costs a few bucks... $60.00. But is easy to set up. It has a full feature demo so u can decide if its worth it to get around Tmo's new limits. http://www.allegrosurf.com/.

I'll try to make these step by steps ***** proof, but we all know how that goes...lol

1. Install Allegrosurf. Its pretty straight forward.

2. Start AllegroSurf. Yes yourself thru the firewall warnings you will see. If you don't the proxy will not work, all requests will be blocked by your firewall.

3. Select servers from left side of window. You will see a list of predefinded servers in your right pane. Right clik and delete all of these.

4. Now in the same pane. Right clik and select "New WWW Proxy Server", a window will open.

5. Under the General Tab. Change connection port from 80 (default) to 110 or 143 "your decision here" 143 worked better for me I tryed both.

6. Uncheck the "Close connection" and "Use dialer boxes". unless u have a dial up connection then leave dialer checked.

7. Under the IP Ranges tab. Check "Use these ranges instead of Global", then make sure the box below is empty of addresses. Now here is the issue with this. This allows any ip addy to access ur computer. But since you dont know what the ip is of your Treo we have no choice but to enable this for now. After using this for a bit you can figure out the range of ip's that ur Treo logs in on and narrow it down.

8. Under the Content Filtering tab I have ads and sound checked with all the rest unchecked. This seems to work pretty well but play with it yourself.

9. Ok yourself out of this box and Select >> FILE>>>CONNECT. The server will now reconnect.

Thats all the set up for the program. Easy part is done. If your not running a router and your computer connects directly to a modem your done other that setting the Treo itself up.

Now all I can tell you is what I did to get my router set up to let the requests thru. Chances are your router will be a bit different.

I have a Linksys router.

10. Open your router config screen and search for a section on "Forwarding"
    mine was under the Advanced Tab.

11. Find UPnP Forwarding. In there you are going to enable the router to send requests to whatever port you picked in step # 5. If it requests a ip address to send it to you will have to find out your INTERNAL IP from a log in the router setup window and insert it. Mine happens to be the first puter on the network so mine is. 192.168.1.100 Your on your own finding this out so look around it will be in there somewhere.

12. Ok yourself out of the router set up and you should be done with that.

13. Find your computer's ip address. A site like http://www.myipaddress.com/ will tell you this. That ip addy is what you are going to insert into your Treo.

14. On your Treo, open Blazer. Go>> MENU>>OPTIONS>>PREFERENCES>>>ADVANCED>>>SET PROXY

15. Insert your ip from step #13 and your port you choose from step # 5.

16. Ok yourself out of all this and try a web page.

You should be able to see activity in Allegro under the Current Users and Performance tabs. In users you can find out the ip of your treo over time and set up step # 7 better to provide more security for yourself. I am not a network guru but this worked for me. So have fun. I will check this now and then if anyone needs some help but there is alot of members here that know alot more about networking than me so maybe someone else will give a hand.

Good Luck

Oh yeah and I forgot. If you are not running a router every time you reboot your puter you will be issued a new ip address unless you have a static (fixed) ip which not many have anymore. This will cause you to have to reset up your Treo to reflect the change in ip. Do steps 13 thru 15 again.

If you have a router your ip should only change when you reboot or reset the router so it is more static than the other.
    Last edited by holist; 12/23/2004 at 06:36 PM.
    Thanks holist, i am going to try this when i get home.

oh yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxintosh
    The Proxy setting is done in each application that supports it, not under the global preferences.

For example, in Blazer (or "Web") go to Options -> Preferneces -> Advanced -> Set Proxy. Check "Use Proxy" and enter in 216.155.165.50 as the proxy server and 8080 as the port. Click OK and you should be set.
    Does anybody know of a list of programs that support proxy servers? It's really too bad that you can't set a proxy on a system-wide level, so that all programs (like Directory Access, or Vindigo) can connect to the internet...
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by faludi
    Solution is to use the T-Mobile proxy:

Proxy Server: 216.155.165.50
    port: 8080

Since this is T-Mobile's server, there's no significant change to your level of security.
    Good deal faludi.. interesting that port 8080 is blocked globally, but they allowed it for their own WAP server. i didnt think it would be actually running a transparent proxy service on it.

it works a LOT faster than using your own 110 proxy (its local to their network afterall)
    I used the above proxy server address and it worked like a charm within blazer. Now here's a question i've been pondering. Is there a way to get DUN tethering to work by utilizing that particular proxy? Anybody try this yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by faludi
    Solution is to use the T-Mobile proxy:

Proxy Server: 216.155.165.50
    port: 8080

Since this is T-Mobile's server, there's no significant change to your level of security.
    faludi...I could kiss you! Just got my 650 tonight and have been struggling to make tZones work...until I found your proxy settings here...plugged them in and like magic!...full internet on tzones...Whoo Hoo!!!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    faludi...I could kiss you! Just got my 650 tonight and have been struggling to make tZones work...until I found your proxy settings here...plugged them in and like magic!...full internet on tzones...Whoo Hoo!!!
    Do I understand you correctly.. you got yout T-Mobile 650 already? I spoke to CSR yesterday who told me that there is nothing posted yet about when it will even be available....
    Mongo like beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by t-mo-belly
    Do I understand you correctly.. you got yout T-Mobile 650 already? I spoke to CSR yesterday who told me that there is nothing posted yet about when it will even be available....
    I got the unlocked P1 GSM...using my TMo sim from my previous phone.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    i have the old grandfathered 2.99 plan and the proxy settings that you guys mentioned doesn't work for me. I called tmobile and asked them if there was a diff between the 2.99 and 4.99 plan and they said there were none aside from the text messaging and picture messaging. Was the CSR misinformed? anybody know what the deal is?
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Proxy works for me!!!! (but not https sites such as hotmail and yahoo mail)
    I 2nd that. I've been a tmobile cust. for 3 yrs, tzones has worked forever on all my different phones. I couldn't get my treo600 working until trying the proxy setting, I'm too lazy to setup a proxy server on a linux box at home....anyone know if that will guarantee yahoo mail to work??
    Could anybody confirm if the proxy serever that Faludi found is still working?
    I'm getting my Treo650 tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should subscribe to Tzones
    Thanks
    Mikhail
    not working for me any more
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Haven't looked at this entire thread so I hope this information is useful. The T-Zones proxy server I use is as follows:

m32a59bd8.tmodns.net
    Port 8080

I've been using this one for several months without issue. Enjoy!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by miked378
    Does anybody know of a list of programs that support proxy servers? It's really too bad that you can't set a proxy on a system-wide level, so that all programs (like Directory Access, or Vindigo) can connect to the internet...
    In Prefs>Network>Menu>New, one can add a new GPRS connection profile and enter in an IP address by clicking on Details>Advanced from within that newly created profile, but there is no field to enter a port number. Would it be theoretically possible for a developer to write a small app to allow for the entry of a port field, thereby allowing the possibility of entering full proxy server information on a system-wide basis?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast