Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    Even with the workaround, T-Mo and/or Yahoo are blocking access to full-site YahooMail - no matter how often try to log in, it prompts for a password.
    FYI I could access to my yahoo mail with no problem with T-zones and my own squid proxy. (The only problem is that the Treo 600 screen is not very big )
    Last edited by pierro78; 12/15/2004 at 04:03 PM.
    Here is my little T-Mobile story:

I was a previous Voicestream subscriber and did not change when it became T-Mobile, even though my contract expired long ago. When I upgraded to the Treo 600, I went into a T-Mobile store to set my wife and I up on the the family talk paln blah, blah. At that time the rep explicitly told me I did not need the $19.99 Internet package unless I wanted to access certain secured sites etc., and that for general surfing, the T-Zone GPRS would be fine and the bargin price of $5. So, months go by and everything is just peachy - I can access all the sites I try without a problem.

However, a couple of days ago, suddenly, nothing works. I call tech support and get fed the line that "that is a data device it does not work with T-Zones." So how, then, was I able to get access the internet for months before? I kid you not: "Oh, that was a glitch. You may have to be charged for that." Really. Anyway, I call to complain in general that the T-Mobile is attempting to bait-and-switch me into $15 more a month when it dawns on me that I have yet to try this site to find the "real" solution. In ten minutes (half the time I was on with the braintrust of T-Mobile tech support) and I have full access again. Although I am very tempted to call up the pencil-necks and hurl slurs at them until they admit they are incompetent weasels, I will instead be a tad bit more positive and post a heartfelt thank you to all those who make up the treocentral community.

Thank you for making my life a little less moron-ridden.
    Happy Holidays.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I was just doing a google search when i found this purported internal memo from T-Mo:

They know damn well what they are doing!
    The following is some info passed on by a freind at T-Mobile:

Start ---

Just a reminder, this was sent out a few days ago:

?Please be aware of some network changes that T-Mobile is making. We are
    going to be added rules to the firewall that will prevent customer that have
    any of our T-Zones SOCs from putting there SIM in a PDA or Data Card and
    having full access to the internet. You might start to get some calls about
    this in the coming days.?

This will affect the IPAQ, TREO, unsupported PDA?s and any other device
    which requires full access to the internet. It will also prevent customers
    from going to HTML pages unless they decide to get the internet SOC. Some
    web pages may appear to work but this is due to the website itself providing
    a WAP page instead of an HTML page when it detects their device/browser.
    Please be sure that the customer is not going to HTML pages prior to logging
    a trouble ticket.

This SHOULD NOT affect Blackberry?s (Only the 7100T can browse HTML sites,
    the rest are WAP only), Sidekicks, or phones which only use T-Zones and WAP
    pages.

Customers using the WAP APN on HP iPAQ WILL NOT be affected by these changes
    as long as they have a T-Mobile Internet Rate Plan or SOC. The firewall
    changes only affect customers who are accessing HTTP and who ONLY have a
    t-zones level SOC. These customers were not meant to access HTTP and
    therefore, the changes will block them from doing so.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to browse the internet on a PDA or Data Card,
    you will need a T-Mobile Internet SOC or Rate Plan, regardless of which APN
    you are using.

WAP APN IS, AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE, THE CORRECT SETTING FOR HP IPAQ.

Who WILL these Firewall changes affect???

Customers who have a t-zones SOC (ex $4.99 or $9.99 t-zones) and attempt to
    access HTTP on a PDA, Data Card, or some 3rd party handsets that have HTTP
    browsers

EXAMPLE:

Customer has t-zones $4.99 and accesses WAP on his handset, but also takes
    that SIM and uses it to access the Internet on his Sierra Aircard. After the
    Firewall rules, the customer can still access WAP on his handset, but will
    need to change to A T-Mobile Internet SOC for him to access the Internet on
    his Sierra Aircard.

End ----
    I have a question. I'm using the workaround but now Optimized page view doesn't work anymore... Only wide page mode, which means lots of scrolling. Anyone else experience this? I'm just using Xiino for now but normally I would prefer Blazer.......
    maxintosh, r u running a mac? can u provide step by step instructions on how to set this up?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxintosh
    Optimized page view doesn't work anymore... Only wide page mode, which means lots of scrolling......

Now tht you mention it, yes, optimized is not working for me either. Odd.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Do I need to unlock my phone first - or how and where does one set the proxy server and port address??
    Bob
    Optimized page view is not working for me either.
    Same thing here, i think it detects it as a wap proxy.

i have moved on to use xiino, its better than blazer, but not as good as reqthe test rendering in xiino suck.

oh how i wish i could use req. with all these apps im buying i might as well pay the 19.99 a month.

why am i so cheap?
    Quote Originally Posted by chabsin
    OK ... it seems it was a problem with my new account ... as of this evening, Web Access (through the tmobile proxy mentioned earlier) and snappermail work fine (albeit slow ...). But Avanto doesn't work ... tried changed to port 443, 143, 8080 (all these were mentioned in various places on the web) but no go ...

Additional note: I have another account without tzones ... just checked it with this phone and was able to use snappermail, as well as log on to the web ... does this mean that I don't even need tzones to surf the net? Or would they be charging me by usage?

Thanks to everyone for their help!
    AvantGO has a proxy setting. Go to menu->options->server settings, that will take you to the server configuration application, hit menu->options->proxy settings and add the proxy info that was provided elsewhere in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    maxintosh, r u running a mac? can u provide step by step instructions on how to set this up?
    I'm just using T-mobile's own proxy.

Xiino is ok but a little buggy.
    has anyone has success use webviewr with the proxy.. i added the proxy and port in the JAVA VM settings but no go??
    well is the t-mo proxy port 8080?

webviewer has an option to change to port 8080, i would think you could use this to use the req.
    I set the port as 80 & 8080 neither work

I also tried the x.x.x.x:8080 ans also withiut the port in the prefs section fir java

any other idea
    Quote Originally Posted by faludi
    Solution is to use the T-Mobile proxy:

Proxy Server: 216.155.165.50
    port: 8080

Since this is T-Mobile's server, there's no significant change to your level of security.
    Can someone please provide step-by-step instructions for how to create a service under the network preferences using this proxy server and port? This would be greatly appreciated by all us who aren't technically inclined!
    i couldn't make that proxy work in blazer on my 180 but xiino, eudora, and avantgo work with it.....
    the 180 uses hproxy.handspring.com and sproxy.handspring.com I think they might be blocked through that proxy....
    Quote Originally Posted by ravic
    Optimized page view is not working for me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasonoman
    Same thing here, i think it detects it as a wap proxy...
    Another idea is that the T-Mo proxy is ignoring the size definition at the end of the user agent string for Blazer: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 95; PalmSource; Blazer 3.0) 16;160x160

or that it's not modifying the returned webpages sent to the Treo. All-in-all, more headache for us users.
    Very, Very smart...thanks so much. Easy for us who have no proxy experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellym
    Can someone please provide step-by-step instructions for how to create a service under the network preferences using this proxy server and port? This would be greatly appreciated by all us who aren't technically inclined!
    The Proxy setting is done in each application that supports it, not under the global preferences.

For example, in Blazer (or "Web") go to Options -> Preferneces -> Advanced -> Set Proxy. Check "Use Proxy" and enter in 216.155.165.50 as the proxy server and 8080 as the port. Click OK and you should be set.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Thru Blazer (or "Web") the settings above give me an error that says "T-zones plan required for this service. Sign up....."
    Anybody have any help?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast