Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been using T-Zones for WAP access on my T-600 (Cingular branded on Tmo network) for the past one year with no problems. As of 12/1/04 (the beginning of my billing cycle), I lost WAP access. I called customer service, and they referred my case to a tech. Initially, the tech. refused to assist because T600 was not on his list of T-Zones devices. After much prodding, he told me that TMo has clamped down on T-Zones being used by certain internet-ready phones by blocking certain ports. The only option is to subscribe to the full $19.99 plan.
    I'm a light internet user, and I don't want to spend $19.99 for internet access.
    Has anyone encountered this problem? If not, you may be just days away before the nation-wide clampdown begins. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!!
    I wouldnt put much weight on what he said. I heard the exact same thing about 7 months ago. T-zones at $5.99 works perfect for me. An although certain ports are blocked more often than not (shoutcast etc). The html and mail ports are almost always open. I'd say restart your phone and give it a day or two. T-mobile might finally be getting around to clamping down an t-zones but i havent seen much evidence of that yet.
    the problem is port 80
    other than T-Zones home, other sites (both html and wap) are using port 80
    now 4.99 plan closes port 80, to prevent some users to configure IM client to use port 80 for GPRS access, which really hurts SMS plan
    sorry, guys, you need 19.99 plan now, it looks OK with almost all access (except realplayer, Tier 2 Data Dept explained the port 554 has security issue (huh???!)
    you can use IM client (agile for palmOS) with your Treo to save hundreds of SMS with 19.99 plan
    I suggest T-Mobile should provide HSCSD option (uses airtime) for occastional internet usage
    They shut me down sometime between Tues and Weds here in Minneapolis. After being transfered to a tech in India or wherever, he told me that they were no longer providing access to PDA devices via T-Zones and that I needed move to the $20 plan to access web sites now.

The got you by the balls... and now they squeeze.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    I'm tired of fighting t-mobile on this, so I'm going to just bite the bullet and sign up for the $20 plan. However, does anybody know why I can't select the plan? (see screenshot)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #6  
    mportune, you've to call Tmo and speak to a customer service rep. to sign up. It should take you less than 5 minutes to do this.
    I'm not going to sign up for the $19.99 plan, as I said earlier, I'm not a heavy data user. $19.99 is a waste of money, IMHO.
    Here's what I did, I switched to Sprint and became a heavy internet user, you can stream your music, surf whenever, and never worry about it, all for 15bucks
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    mportune
    try to change my phone
    the best bet is change to ipaq 6315
    if it don't work, you need to call CS
    christo
    since Sprint don't have bt phone yet, that I am not interested (connected to pda)
    I use 19.99 plan from day1, since I listen streaming radio when I'm away from home (usually I use 200-400MB/month), that real unlimited is required, and I don't like any hidden surprise for data volume)
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    the best bet is change to ipaq 6315
    er, no. There's a reason I hang out on TreoCentral.
    Well hasnt' happened to me yet, Memphis. But at this point I can only see this as the straw that pushed me to quit waiting for the 650 on Tmo and to finally give in and jump in the sprint pile. $19 per month is just about $5 too high for measly gprs. $4.99 was a value.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravic
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been using T-Zones for WAP access on my T-600 (Cingular branded on Tmo network) for the past one year with no problems. As of 12/1/04 (the beginning of my billing cycle), I lost WAP access. I called customer service, and they referred my case to a tech. Initially, the tech. refused to assist because T600 was not on his list of T-Zones devices. After much prodding, he told me that TMo has clamped down on T-Zones being used by certain internet-ready phones by blocking certain ports. The only option is to subscribe to the full $19.99 plan.
    It's not working for me either any more. However, there seems to be a major discrepancy between the above information and what their website claims. In fact, this sounds like false advertising (as people would have bought Treo 600s from T-Mobile and PalmOne and service plans from T-Mobile based on a claimed service which is not being provided).

Note the following quote from T-Mobile's own website:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...ic/tm21837.htm

"How do I access t-zones using my Treo 600?

Treo 600 users cannot access standard t-zones content areas, such as Download Fun™ or t-zones weather or sports scores. However, you can use your Treo 600 and t-zones service plan to access e-mail and HTML web sites."

I've attached a zip file containing a copy of the above T-Mobile page in case they change the page after I post. I had to zip it because the forums don't allow me to post unzipped html.

Doesn't seem like they should be able to argue their way out of this for the following reasons:
    1) Other references to t-zones service plans are specific about premium
    plans required for certain types of access. The reference to HTML is
    not accompanied by any statement of a premium plan, and it's not
    debatable that "unlimited t-zones" (the $4.99 plan) is a t-zones service
    plan.
    2) HTML implies port 80 unless otherwise stated, and it's not otherwise
    stated.
    3) Claiming it's a simple error on their troubleshooting section or that they're
    now changing the service which they're simply entitled to change by
    revising that page should be invalid since customers bought
    products and signed up for contract service plans based on this
    understanding of an advertised capability of the Treo 600.
    "Correcting an error on the Troubleshooting website" wouldn't undo
    the harm caused by the product and service plan expenditures
    because customers have already been misled.

They might try to justify it based on T-Zones not being under a minimum time service contract, so claiming they have the right to change it at any time. But that wouldn't address people who upgraded/purchased equipment or signed up for service plans based on the documented compatibility of the Treo 600 with all T-Zones plans.

Thoughts? When T-Mobile removed the free WAP access, I could understand it truly was a temporary loophole and it wasn't an advertised capability, but Treo 600 HTML access on via all T-Zones plans is an officially advertised function of T-Zones with Treo 600 which entered into consumer purchase and service plan decisions.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13.    #13  
    JohnDiamant,
    You're echoing my thoughts in a much more eloquent way, of course. The problem is, how do we convey the discrepancy to Tmo. I tried to do, and the tech rep (sounded like an East Indian with a pseudo name called "Randy") was rude and slammed the phone on me. A petition to Tmo by a large group of T600 users will be futile, IMHO.
    I guess we have to subscribe to the $19.99 plan and learn to live with it.
    No more port 80 here in the bay area. Once Cingular starts offering discounted T650s I'll be telling T-Mo to stuff it. I'll probably take my wife with me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiamant
    It's not working for me either any more. However, there seems to be a major discrepancy between the above information and what their website claims. In fact, this sounds like false advertising (as people would have bought Treo 600s from T-Mobile and PalmOne and service plans from T-Mobile based on a claimed service which is not being provided).

Note the following quote from T-Mobile's own website:
    http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...ic/tm21837.htm

"How do I access t-zones using my Treo 600?

Treo 600 users cannot access standard t-zones content areas, such as Download Fun™ or t-zones weather or sports scores. However, you can use your Treo 600 and t-zones service plan to access e-mail and HTML web sites."

SNIP!

Thanks,
    John

Anybody know a lawyer? If they don't restore port 80 service, I'm certainly going to use this as leverage if they try to stick my with an early termination fee.

T-Mo sucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravic
    JohnDiamant,
    You're echoing my thoughts in a much more eloquent way, of course. The problem is, how do we convey the discrepancy to Tmo. I tried to do, and the tech rep (sounded like an East Indian with a pseudo name called "Randy") was rude and slammed the phone on me. A petition to Tmo by a large group of T600 users will be futile, IMHO.
    I guess we have to subscribe to the $19.99 plan and learn to live with it.
    Stop talking to first line reps. Ask for a manager. Tell him/her about what the web site says about HTML access. Mention that people are talking on TreoCentral. My first course of action will be to demand the $19.99 for full internet be given to me at T-Zones pricing until my contract expires. If they refuse, I'll see them in small claims court if/when they try to invoke an early termination fee when I switch to Cingular.

It'll cost them more in legal fees than it would to drop the termination fee or give me a discounted full internet package.
    They also had a page regarding the Ipaq.. in the FAQ it said something about "How do I access sites outside of T-Zones? Go to File, Open URL, and you can visit any website"

T-Mobile is a bunch of crooks IMO. They constantly change their ad wording. Now one has to wonder what the definition of "Mobile Web Content" is. What stops T-Mobile from only allowing access to their T-Mobile portal and the related URL's on it? Nothing other than their incompetence. Free GRPS teathering to non-T-Zones last for how long? Like 5 years. Obviously they have clueless admins so I'm not suprised their management and marketing departments dont mind screwing over their customers.
    I don't have a TREO yet, but T-Zones ($2.99 plan...I'm grandfathered in) web access is still working fine on my Nokia 3650...(Detroit Metro area)...waiting for the Treo 650 GSM so this subject is of interest to me since I hope to keep the $2.99 T-Zones plan I have.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I don't have a TREO yet, but T-Zones ($2.99 plan...I'm grandfathered in) web access is still working fine on my Nokia 3650...(Detroit Metro area)...waiting for the Treo 650 GSM so this subject is of interest to me since I hope to keep the $2.99 T-Zones plan I have.
    If they don't shut down web access in Detroit, I'll see it as further leverage for those of us who have been shut down

Are you listening T-Mo?
  20.    #20  
    DuoArt,
    I asked for a manager, and was transferred to a guy in India who was totally clueless on what was being marketed on Tmo website, and also about TreoCentral. When I asked to be transferred to someone in the U.S., I was put on hold, and then disconnected.
    I just give up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast