Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    You think we'll see a January 3rd release date?
    PalmOne will be attending CES International next week. It's very likely we will hear some announcement then.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foo fighter
    PalmOne will be attending CES International next week. It's very likely we will hear some announcement then.
    Not that this is consuming my entire life, but do you know where and what the dates are for the CES?
    I feel like a Treo650 junkie,.....gotta have it, gotta have it, gotta have it.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    Thursday Jan 6th thru Sunday Jan 9th. See you there!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  5.    #65  
    I just posted this under another thread but since I started this thread I am putting it here too.

Ok, I take responsibility for the wrong date under my "Cingular GSM Release Date" a few weeks ago. But that was based on a very good Cingular insider. It seems Cingular puts all phones through trials before they release, as I said they were doing with the Siemens SX66 weeks before it was released. The date of Dec 16/17 was set and then it was decided that the 650 was a no go. That is what has caused the delay. From my good source the word of today is that, because of "issues" the phone has been delayed probably towards the end of January, if not the first of Feb. He/she did not know if the current delay was because of "issues" that Cingular was rejecting the phone or because of Palm holding back because of "issues".

He/she could not give me anything other than the warehouse is saying "towards the end of Jan beginning of feb." That is the most I could get and it is not very helpful.

So really no news that is helpful to us now.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Well I was told by biz sales that they would be unlocked. Specifically because I wanted to use a foreign SIM.

Trouble is that Cingular want $40 for Treo data service now so they aren't exaclty attractive!

Sure is odd that P1 are boching the release so badly. Hard to tell if it's inventory of the 600 or tech issues with the 650. Pre announcing it when you have an existing product and you can't ship the new one is ***** behaviour!

No wonder they aregetting BBQd by the analysts!
    Quote Originally Posted by phil94028
    Well I was told by biz sales that they would be unlocked. Specifically because I wanted to use a foreign SIM.

Trouble is that Cingular want $40 for Treo data service now so they aren't exaclty attractive!

Sure is odd that P1 are boching the release so badly. Hard to tell if it's inventory of the 600 or tech issues with the 650. Pre announcing it when you have an existing product and you can't ship the new one is ***** behaviour!

No wonder they aregetting BBQd by the analysts!
    From where are you getting this? I don't see anywhere on the Cingular website that the data plan will be $40. I see 19.99 unlimited and I even asked at a brick store and that's what it is.

Al
    you can find out more at CESweb.org
    Quote Originally Posted by phil94028
    Any idea how secure that is? To be honest, I'd pay the extra money to PalmOne to get an unlocked one if I have to, but if I can avoid it I'd prefer to get one that is subsidized and unlocked. :-)
    This is incorrect. The palmOne website has a knowledge base article that specifically says the Cingular Treo 650 WILL be locked (unlike the 600). This freely available to anyone. I wish people with "informed sources" would quit spreading this B.S., P1 has nothing to gain about lying about this. Go to http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(16778) to see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    Any idea how secure that is? To be honest, I'd pay the extra money to PalmOne to get an unlocked one if I have to, but if I can avoid it I'd prefer to get one that is subsidized and unlocked. :-)
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Cingular sure seem confused these days!

My info came right from sales when I asked about the 650. They said unlocked and $40 for data .. no mediaworks and Jan release. they sounded like grownups answering and it was an email not some clueless CSR on the phone!

I'm not sure I'd trust the P1 site on this ... it's not their decision and who knows what is going on trying to manage offing the 600 inventory right now.

Theres no way I'm getting a locked GSM phone .. or paying that much for data. I guess there's always Verizon who seem to want $80!

Locking really is a bit silly if they sell the phone with a contract and termination penalty they are covered anyway and all it does is annoy business travellers .. not a real smart idea as it negates a key advantage over CDMA!
    I'm pretty sure many people will go to Sprint if Cingular starts charging $40 for unlimited data. That is just too crazy for anybody. How are they going to compete with Sprint with a $40 unlimited plan? What I'm guessing is that you are getting information from the old ATT sales department at Cingular. It is very confusing and I want to keep my hopes up by thinking that you were misinformed. I really don't care if it is locked or not.

Al
    Well, the email Vienna Channels sent out said the Cingular GSM would be unlocked. Perhaps I'll have one from them by Easter? </sigh>
    "Technically" speaking he is correct about the $40 Cing plan for the Treo although there are ways around it before and after the fact. AT&T has(had) the same sorta thing (except it was $50 for unlimited) but there are ways around that as well (aside from finding a salesperson willing to set it up that way for you).
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    I'm pretty sure many people will go to Sprint if Cingular starts charging $40 for unlimited data. That is just too crazy for anybody. How are they going to compete with Sprint with a $40 unlimited plan? What I'm guessing is that you are getting information from the old ATT sales department at Cingular. It is very confusing and I want to keep my hopes up by thinking that you were misinformed. I really don't care if it is locked or not.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    "Technically" speaking he is correct about the $40 Cing plan for the Treo although there are ways around it before and after the fact. AT&T has(had) the same sorta thing (except it was $50 for unlimited) but there are ways around that as well (aside from finding a salesperson willing to set it up that way for you).
    "Technically" speaking? I don't see anywhere on cingular.com that says that. Is this just a roumor? Please show me somewhere I can read more about this.

Thanks,

Al
    I called on December 31, 2004 at 1:07pm Pacific time and I asked a sales consultant named "Erick Johnson" when will the Treo 650 be available and he told me that it should be available by late 2004 or early 2005, which probably be Jan and Feb 2005 since we are almost in 2005. I also asked him about the price of the data plan for the Treo 650 and he told me it was going to be $19.99. I asked again if he was sure about the price and to double check to make sure if that was right and he said that the data plan would be $19.99 and that there was no other price for unlimited data at this time. Then, I asked if he had a $40 unlimited plan and he found that the Blueberry has a $46 unlimited plan. I told him that my contract with Version would end on January 31st and I gave him my number to call me back on that day and notate the account that he could give me a $19.99 data plan for the Treo 650. He said that he didnít know if the plans were going to change but he could probably work out something for me.

Al
    the sx 66 faced the same problems of being held up. this is both a good and bad thing. its good becasue what ever problems that the 650's are having will be fixed before they land in our hands. the moto v600 was held up many times because of problems. it benefits the end consumers. the bad aspect of all of this---the long agonizing wait
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I can only say to wait and see. Hopefully he is correct and he may very well be correct. I know the SX-66 now has the $19.99 deal so the Treo SHOULD have the same. (It was supposed to be a special deal until 12/31) according to a sign in one of the Cing stores. I don't trust any reps as far as I can throw them. If you call 5 times you'll probably get 5 different answers. Aside from that, you called him on 12/31 and he said it could be in "late 2004" ? Unlimited BLACKberry is $49.99 not $40.00. .(CLICK HERE) Yes, they CAN work something out whch was what I said in my original message.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    I called on December 31, 2004 at 1:07pm Pacific time and I asked a sales consultant named "Erick Johnson" when will the Treo 650 be available and he told me that it should be available by late 2004 or early 2005, which probably be Jan and Feb 2005 since we are almost in 2005. I also asked him about the price of the data plan for the Treo 650 and he told me it was going to be $19.99. I asked again if he was sure about the price and to double check to make sure if that was right and he said that the data plan would be $19.99 and that there was no other price for unlimited data at this time. Then, I asked if he had a $40 unlimited plan and he found that the Blueberry has a $46 unlimited plan. I told him that my contract with Version would end on January 31st and I gave him my number to call me back on that day and notate the account that he could give me a $19.99 data plan for the Treo 650. He said that he didnít know if the plans were going to change but he could probably work out something for me.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I can only say to wait and see. Hopefully he is correct and he may very well be correct. I know the SX-66 now has the $19.99 deal so the Treo SHOULD have the same. (It was supposed to be a special deal until 12/31) according to a sign in one of the Cing stores. I don't trust any reps as far as I can throw them. If you call 5 times you'll probably get 5 different answers. Aside from that, you called him on 12/31 and he said it could be in "late 2004" ? Unlimited BLACKberry is $49.99 not $40.00. .(CLICK HERE) Yes, they CAN work something out whch was what I said in my original message.
    whenever i call a store or customer service i can get a different answer for five tries. its amazing!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Something interesting happened last night on Cingular's web site. At around midnight I payed a visit to the Phone and PDA section on the company's web site. A whole bunch of new phones were listed; including the Nokia 7610 among others. Sorry, the Treo 650 was NOT listed.

However, as of this morning all of said phones have been removed, and the listings are the same as previously offered. I'm not sure what was going on.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast