Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    If you look at PalmOne's Knowledge Base, they state that the Treo 650 WILL be LOCKED (however, the Treo 600 will remain unlocked).

TheHandlessKing
    It took a while to find it there, but it does actually say that. Hopefully they'll release an unbranded GSM at the same time. I wonder if anyone I know has Cingular so they can get it unlocked for me.

link
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  2. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Any indication if it would be locked to the Cingular network or not?
    I have been waiting to migrate from ATT to Cingular and reading Hofo pretty regularly. According to the folks over there Cingular is now locking all their new phones and I would assume they would lock the Treo as well.

With that said I would bet that, like the 600, someone will provide an easy and free method of unlocking the 650.
    I have another link, unfortunately it also says Treo 650 is locked for Cingular. However it says about plans to have unbranded model.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,CASE=obj(10941)

Edit: Sorry, I'm very stupid and I can't find a way how to make hyperlinks :-)
    Last edited by Vorozhbyt; 12/07/2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Interesting, since the folks who attended the P1 RoadShow and ordered a 650 through Vienna Channels will (allegedly) be getting unlocked models. I just can't imagine P1 making unlocked models ONLY for those who attended the Treo RoadShow ... (G-d only knows when we will see it, but nevertheless it's supposed to be unlocked)

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:05 PM
    To: Demo and sales customers
    Subject: Treo 650 GSM order status

We wanted to provide you an update that your Treo 650 GSM unlocked model order (works on any GSM network, ie. Cingular, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile) is received and in our system.
    -<clip>-

Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    If you look at PalmOne's Knowledge Base, they state that the Treo 650 WILL be LOCKED (however, the Treo 600 will remain unlocked).

TheHandlessKing
    Aaaaaargh!! To be honest I expected this. I guess I'll have to see when an unlocked GSM becomes available. Last time it was several months. I guess picking up a Sprint 650 to try out isn't looking like too bad an idea after all.

Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    It took a while to find it there, but it does actually say that. Hopefully they'll release an unbranded GSM at the same time. I wonder if anyone I know has Cingular so they can get it unlocked for me.

link
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6. HCW
    It's a shame that they don't rollout the 650 on all networks at the exact same time
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    From what I've read, Sprint was instrumental in helping develop this model, so I guess letting them have first crack at it was their "reward". The good news is it gives us a few weeks to see what all the bugs are and how the fixes are coming along. Time is a small price to pay for knowledge! Well, as long as it's not much longer :-)
    Vince
    FWIW, Cingular is still offering a discount on the T600 with an expiration date of 1/31/2005. Maybe they are trying to hint at something.....
    The release date for a given carrier is determined in large part by the carrier. First, the carrier has to choose to offer the device (Cingular has, T-Mobile hasn't yet). Once the basic device is available, the carriers have the option to request alterations (add this logo, disable this feature, replace this util with ours, add these ringtones, etc.). Depending on how extensive these are, palmOne and the carrier may have to spend some time tweaking and testing and tweaking and testing until the carrier is happy. Then the carrier decides when they want to roll the phone into their lineup (usually ASAP, but other factors like ongoing campaigns can get in the way).
    Bcaslis,

Sounds like you were right. Subsidy locks. However, there has to be a hack. Someone will post a hack. If someone figured out how to hack Bluetooth to be used as a modem then certain the lock can be hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    did your rep indicate what channels, i.e. telesales or storefront, that it will be available through?
    storefront!!!storefront!!!storefront!!!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Naveen,
    I didn't ask specifically which branch would have the 650 first. I got my 600 from her, so I'll get my 650 from her, as well. Business had the 600s LONG before storefront or telesales. That probably won't be the case with the 650 - they will probably be simultaneous, but unless she can't get any, that's the route I'm going. I haven't been impatient until now, but I'm getting really anxious to play with my new baby!! Even with all the reported bugs, I'm really looking forward to the better screen and bluetooth. Everything else is icing...
    Vince
    by the way, I'd email her again, but I've been enough of a pest. She told me mid-dec, so if I haven't heard anything by the 20th, I'll check in with her again.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Naveen,
    I didn't ask specifically which branch would have the 650 first. I got my 600 from her, so I'll get my 650 from her, as well. Business had the 600s LONG before storefront or telesales. That probably won't be the case with the 650 - they will probably be simultaneous, but unless she can't get any, that's the route I'm going. I haven't been impatient until now, but I'm getting really anxious to play with my new baby!! Even with all the reported bugs, I'm really looking forward to the better screen and bluetooth. Everything else is icing...
    Vince
    by the way, I'd email her again, but I've been enough of a pest. She told me mid-dec, so if I haven't heard anything by the 20th, I'll check in with her again.
    thanks for the info. i was truely debating between the treo 650 and the siemens sx 66, but the price of the 66 just seems to be too high for that unit. Also, since attws/cingular does not have wi fi, but they offer edge, i might as well stick with the treo!
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Word NAveen!!!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    thanks for the info. i was truely debating between the treo 650 and the siemens sx 66, but the price of the 66 just seems to be too high for that unit. Also, since attws/cingular does not have wi fi, but they offer edge, i might as well stick with the treo!
    Do you know the price Cingular will be selling the T650 and the SX66 for?
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    My Cingular contact says that they got the Siemens in already, but upon arrival they are so problematic that the distributed them to the techy administrators first to check out and resolve the issues. So, we will see. The phone looks interesting but that keyboard looks, lousy IMO. (May not be)
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    Do you know the price Cingular will be selling the T650 and the SX66 for?
    just a guess, but i think the siemens unit will be 150 to 200 dollars higher
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Any updates from people with inside info? one to two days away depending on if you say its the 15th or 16th
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Or 20-21 days if you believe it will be "early January."
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Any updates from people with inside info? one to two days away depending on if you say its the 15th or 16th
    The SX-66 is now on Cingular's webiste for $549.00 w/2yr contract which is pretty close (or less?) then the 650 will be.

http://onlinestore1.cingular.com/web...From=ES_PHONES

Not sure if the link will work, but just look under "phones & PDA's"
    just a guess, but i think the siemens unit will be 150 to 200 dollars higher
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast