Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    It wasn't even in their system at that time, how could they have "ordered" it (and yes, I am 100% sure about that)? They probably just took down your name to call you when it came in stock - so you'd better keep in touch with them. My "B2B guy" did the same thing end of Dec, but he told me not to consider it an "order" just that he'd call me when it officially came out.
    No, the lady punched it into the system, and "ordered" it. We also bought my wife's phone (V551) and filled out the paperwork to transfer my home number to the T650. The last time I went in, I asked them if they could put the World Net unlimited package on the order, but they pulled it up and said that only 'PDA plans' could be purchased with the T650. So I know it's in their system, in my area at least... };>
    Interesting, just checked with someone who should know well and he said it's still not "pre-orderable". He said the SKU was just made available in the system about 10 days ago but the system won't take orders (either pre or otherwise) but did say he could note my account and call. Hmmmmm, interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnix1200
    No, the lady punched it into the system, and "ordered" it. We also bought my wife's phone (V551) and filled out the paperwork to transfer my home number to the T650. The last time I went in, I asked them if they could put the World Net unlimited package on the order, but they pulled it up and said that only 'PDA plans' could be purchased with the T650. So I know it's in their system, in my area at least... };>
    Big suprise, I work in the in the Dalllas Cingular building and nobody has a clue on the 650. Anyone know if Cingular and AT&T wireless have merged accounts yet? Bet I can't just take my sim card out of my AT&T 600 and drop it onto a 650, heck that would be too simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostage46
    Big suprise, I work in the in the Dalllas Cingular building and nobody has a clue on the 650. Anyone know if Cingular and AT&T wireless have merged accounts yet? Bet I can't just take my sim card out of my AT&T 600 and drop it onto a 650, heck that would be too simple.
    It's so frustrating. I dunno what to do to get my order in early! I got my order in for the Mac Mini during the keynote and got it last Wednesday. :-) I definetly wanna get one from the first shipment.
    (1)No they have not and (2)If you remain with AT&T you can, if you migrate to Orange you CANNOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by hostage46

(1)Anyone know if Cingular and AT&T wireless have merged accounts yet?

(2)Bet I can't just take my sim card out of my AT&T 600 and drop it onto a 650, heck that would be too simple.
    In about 18 months it will all be orange. For now you have a choice. Actually, you can get some pretty good phone deals on ATTW right now. I've never seen the MPX220 for $99 till last week when I browsed AT&T
    Ok -- this thread has prompted my first post..

I am 95% sure that tomorrow I will be spending for a T650...however

1.) Can you share MediaWORKS (GPRS / EDGE) through the USB cable (non-BT?)

2.) I currently have a V551 and my 30-day grace period ends the 31st of this month. I'm going to "trade-in" this phone for the T650. But...in the meantime I've been attempting to use the internet via BT. DUN gets to the "registering computer... (after it verifies username) hower I recieve error 31 -"A device attached
    to the system is not functioning." IDEAS? its been quite frusterating...

Thanks in advance!
    Dale
    1) Share it? Do you mean use your phone as a modem for a laptop or desktop? YES - but it would be annoyingly slow for full time use. Or do you mean like ICS server? IF SO I DON'T KNOW THAT.

2) Did you load the V551 modem drivers on the PC? if so are you using the proper login name for DUN (forgot exactly what it is, something simple like #*# with no password)

Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    Ok -- this thread has prompted my first post..

I am 95% sure that tomorrow I will be spending for a T650...however

1.) Can you share MediaWORKS (GPRS / EDGE) through the USB cable (non-BT?)

2.) I currently have a V551 and my 30-day grace period ends the 31st of this month. I'm going to "trade-in" this phone for the T650. But...in the meantime I've been attempting to use the internet via BT. DUN gets to the "registering computer... (after it verifies username) hower I recieve error 31 -"A device attached
    to the system is not functioning." IDEAS? its been quite frusterating...

Thanks in advance!
    Dale
    Yes...I attempted to download the Cingular software but the zip is corrupt.

Umm, phone drivers? Your BT just detects it and you can select DUN. I assume thats all you need, no? It seems to *almost* work. Login info (dial *99#, u:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, p:CINGULAR1)

Regarding the T650 and USB -- you can do this? Meaning run EDGE through the T650 so that it provides internet access to my laptop/desktop. Even USB 1.1 wouldnt be too bad (1.5Mb/s). Are you sure you can do this? How? What software would you need on the PC?

Thanks again, Dale
    I posted some empirical evidence yesterday in this thread that MEdiaWorks does give you EDGE access. Connecting over the Data Access plan with compression enabled is definitely faster in some cases, but the regular MEdiaWorks connection does seem to be in the EDGE speed range.

That data was collected in a suburban area, here are some additional checks I did in a downtown area using a MEdiaWorks account:

WAP.CINGULAR, WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

www.toast.net/performance:
    105kbps (4web-space, text&image)
    94kbps (Yahoo, text&image)
    91kbps (Blackbox telecom, text & image)
    107kbps (OnSpeed, text & image)

www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest:
    109kbps

miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123:
    57.01kbps up, 94.96kbps down
    67.44kpbs up, 94.90kbps down
    59.92kbps up, 92.43kbps down
    I still don't really know WHAT you are trying to do.

If you want to use the CELLPHONE as a "modem" for your laptop or PC via USB (or BT for that matter) so you can connect to the internet you have to install the MODEM DRIVERS (or BT drivers, or BT serial drivers - depending on the phone) made for your PHONE on your LAPTOP or PC just like you would for any external modem that is connected by USB. That way, when you plug in the phone by USB cable you will see a modem (which is your cellphone). When you set up DUN on your PC/Laptop you would point it to that "modem" which is your CELLPHONE. If you point it to the wrong device, or no device, you'd get the error you listed below.

If that doesn't answer your question, then I have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh, the USB speed has nothing to do with your internet transfer/surfing speed. It FAR FAR exceeds what you GPRS or EDGE connection can give you.

Oh, you'll be lucky to get 100kbps transfer rates.

Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    Yes...I attempted to download the Cingular software but the zip is corrupt.

Umm, phone drivers? Your BT just detects it and you can select DUN. I assume thats all you need, no? It seems to *almost* work. Login info (dial *99#, u:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, p:CINGULAR1)

Regarding the T650 and USB -- you can do this? Meaning run EDGE through the T650 so that it provides internet access to my laptop/desktop. Even USB 1.1 wouldnt be too bad (1.5Mb/s). Are you sure you can do this? How? What software would you need on the PC?

Thanks again, Dale
    Last edited by MisterEd; 01/25/2005 at 10:47 AM.
    HEY JIMF! CHECK YOUR PM'S!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    In about 18 months it will all be orange. For now you have a choice. Actually, you can get some pretty good phone deals on ATTW right now. I've never seen the MPX220 for $99 till last week when I browsed AT&T
    $99...maybe it would be a wise choice as a back up phone---where did you see that?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    It was on Letstalk.com last week, but if you blink they change the web site specials. They have the T600 for $149.99 on ATTW
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    It was on Letstalk.com last week, but if you blink they change the web site specials. They have the T600 for $149.99 on ATTW
    they have alot of good deals on there! i could not find any 220's though. maybe it means i should save my money for the 650
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Let's all of us who have MediaWorks or PDA plan go to:
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

and do a speed test.

MY results for the 200k test is:
    35kbit/sec
    1.99s latency
    47.512s d/l time

(a few days ago i did this test and my speed was 20-25kbit/sec)
    But I have never got a speed faster than 35kbit/sec.

Let's see your results guys.

------------------
    Treo 600, Cingular, MediaWorks, Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Last edited by proxx; 01/25/2005 at 02:53 PM.
    WHAT phone was it? That makes a major difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by proxx

and do a speed test.

35kbit/sec
    1.99s latency
    47.512s d/l time

(a few days ago i did this test and my speed was 20-25kbit/sec)
    But I have never got a speed faster than 35kbit/sec.

Let's see your results guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    HEY JIMF! CHECK YOUR PM'S!
    Done. I've been alternately requested to quote and not quote in responses, I'll switch back to quoting until the next person complains I tend to view in threaded view, so either way is fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by proxx

and do a speed test.

35kbit/sec
    1.99s latency
    47.512s d/l time
    . . .
    I have my suspicions about the dslreports-based test pages. I got back speed results like yours regardless of how I was hooking up - MEdiaWorks or Data Access, compressed or not. But several other test pages showed higher throughput that was generally consistent among them, with the dslreports page being the outlier.

Here are the ones I used for my tests:
    http://www.toast.net/performance
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
    You can "edit" the quotes to what's important.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Done.