Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Jerry-
    I have a 600 (with MediaWorks) and I can go to any wesite. The mobile sites are easier to read b/c you don't have to scroll all over the place, but I can go to any site. (If the site has Flash though, it won't load.) Im reading/writing on my 600 now....waiting for my 650.
    Thanks brynat, on that note I think I may just end up either going with a Treo 600 or MPx220. The 650 is a bit outta my price range right now as I had my 30th Birthday party last night bludgened by 12 inches of snow. Needless to say not many people could make it and I was counting on the bday dough to pitch in for the 650. Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Would you look up you network settings please. If you can view them are you connected to:
    User name wap.cingulargps.com
    apn: wap.cingular

Or something different?

Yep those are the same settings I have....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    The username should actually be "wap@cingulargprs.com".
    One again, the RAZR is positively NOT an EDGE phone so whatever speed test is showing "EDGE SPEEDS" is giving you incorrect information. You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get EDGE speed from a phone that isn't EDGE compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    Yep those are the same settings I have....
    Just why is the Moto Razr so overly priced? It is not even a PDA phone?
    Last edited by TonyH; 01/24/2005 at 12:45 AM.
    Yes, the connection through Cingular (or any data connection through a carrier) connects your device to the network, and you can do whatever is available on your device. If, for example, you use your phone as a modem with a laptop or desktop computer (with either a USB cable or a Bluetooth connection, if the phone supports Bluetooth), then you can use all your desktop apps on the network connection.

The limitations are bandwidth, and possibly some protocol restrictions related to how the carrier has their network configured. VPN connections can be problematic, for example. But standard stuff like HTTP and email protocols should work fine.
    No, it's a regular Motorola phone, not a smart phone. But it is quad-band, it has a pretty decent camera on it, and it looks pretty. No EDGE, though.
    Because it has the "cool factor." I have little doubt it will be $99 within 4-6 months (with new service). When the first STARTAC came out it was like $800. Within a year it was free or $49 or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Just was is the Moto Razr so overly priced? It is not even a PDA phone?
    So whats the best stradegy come wednesday if you already have an account with AT&T and want to get the Treo 650.

Keep in mind i have just a regular 39.99 account and no Mmode.

Should i just call cingular wednesday and get the Treo650 switching my account to Cingular but like you also said don't get the 50 dollar rebate but get the Mediaworks plan?

Or just get the phone at 449 with the contract and once i get it call back?

Oh yeah i also have a second phone on AT&T so i guess i have to move it over with whatever i get with the treo because its a shared plan.

I'm really confused about how to play this i don't want to get stuck with the wrong options or pay way over the top.

All i want to do with a Treo is phone service, PDA, POP3 emails from accounts that i already have, IMAP maybe and hopefully be able to setup instant messenger?
    Just was is the Moto Razr so overly priced? It is not even a PDA phone?
    because it is a very nice phone!!! i wish the razr had the features of the V635 and i would not even wait for the 650. i would by the 635 razr and a simple pda---the razrs look very nice!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99
    So whats the best stradegy come wednesday if you already have an account with AT&T and want to get the Treo 650.

Keep in mind i have just a regular 39.99 account and no Mmode.

Should i just call cingular wednesday and get the Treo650 switching my account to Cingular but like you also said don't get the 50 dollar rebate but get the Mediaworks plan?

Or just get the phone at 449 with the contract and once i get it call back?

Oh yeah i also have a second phone on AT&T so i guess i have to move it over with whatever i get with the treo because its a shared plan.

I'm really confused about how to play this i don't want to get stuck with the wrong options or pay way over the top.

All i want to do with a Treo is phone service, PDA, POP3 emails from accounts that i already have, IMAP maybe and hopefully be able to setup instant messenger?
    Well there is an interesting question floating about whether MEdia Works supports EDGE or not, you may be better off with ATT. I would wait until we clear this up.
    I'm getting a headache just reading about this.

I agree that a confirmation of whether MEdia works supports EDGE is the first step.

Has it been confirmed that the T650 GSM supports EDGE? The reason I ask is because Cingular SK66, which is more expensive that the T650, does not support EDGE. In the meantime, the cheap Moto V551 does. It's getting real interesting.
    Yes, many many (ad infinitum) times.
    Has it been confirmed that the T650 GSM supports EDGE?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    One again, the RAZR is positively NOT an EDGE phone so whatever speed test is showing "EDGE SPEEDS" is giving you incorrect information. You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get EDGE speed from a phone that isn't EDGE compatible.
    Sorry - you can get an EDGE RAZR - B2B RAZR phones have edge - they were made specifically for our State agency. General public - no, business - yes!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Sorry ... I'll believe that when/if I see it in writing. If that was the case it would be posted all over HOFO and all of the phone related sites. There are B2B reps on Hofo and HUNDREDS of people who bought the Razr through B2B plus some of the more knowledgeable people on one of the boards would have picked up on it. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just saying you were badly misinformed (unless you can show me a spec page on your "EDGE RAZR").
    Edit: Just post the FCC ID of the phone and we can look it up on the FCC site to see if it specs out for EDGE. I'd bet it's the same FCC number as all the other RAZR phones.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    Sorry - you can get an EDGE RAZR - B2B RAZR phones have edge - they were made specifically for our State agency. General public - no, business - yes!
    Sorry, MisterEd is right here. There are no RAZRs with EDGE radios in them. You can check Motorola's FCC submissions yourself, the only RAZR device they have approved is the non-EDGE one.
    OK, I went through another round with Cingular on this today (by calling their regular customer support line, so I'm still recovering from banging my head against the wall).

The results seem encouraging (mostly). It does seem that the MediaWorks plan (and the WAP.CINGULAR APN) gives you access to EDGE connection levels. They said it verbally on the phone a number of times, and I think I confirmed this with the following tests.

I ran a series of online performance tests while connected on a Data Access plan. I used both of the available logins on the ISP.CINGULAR APN (isp@cingulargprs.com and ispda@cingulargprs.com). The latter gives you network compression and therefore higher net bandwidth when using a data plan. Then I had them switch me back to MediaWorks and the WAP.CINGULAR APN, and ran the same set of tests. These were all run using the same device (Motorola V551) in the same physical location. Here are the results:

ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, APN=ISP.CINGULAR

www.toast.net/performance:
    63kbps (ADDR.com, text)
    68kbps (Blackboxtelecom, text)

miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123:
    74.62kbps up, 59.84kbps down
    38.34kpbs up, 57.16kbps down
    62.14kbps up, 48.59kbps down

ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM, APN=ISP.CINGULAR

176kbps (nibble.net, text)
    199kbps (onspeed.com, text)

72.42kbps up, 74.14kbps down
    76.15kpbs up, 70.39kbps down
    75.96kbps up, 72.77kbps down

WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, APN=WAP.CINGULAR

89kbps (LunarPages, text)
    84kbps (PolarComm, text)
    93kbps (1&1, text & image)
    92kbps (HostRocket, text&image)

69.60kbps up, 64.79kbps down
    72.80kpbs up, 70.46kbps down
    69.66kbps up, 71.16kbps down

This seems to confirm that MediaWorks is providing EDGE rates. It also shows that you do not get the same performance as the compressed EDGE rates available through the ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM login on the data access plans (notice the substantial speed increase with text transfers when using compression, as expected). Not a major concern, but good to know.

I'm not sure why I was getting non-EDGE rates previously and now seem to be at EDGE levels after all this switching. But this seems to indicate that MediaWorks is unlimited EDGE access.

Finally, despite information to the contrary from Cingular and HowardForums, I am able to make VPN connections over a MediaWorks connection.

So I'm happy again. Plus, since the Motorola V551 is a class 4 EDGE device and the Treo 650 is a class 10 EDGE device, throughput should be incrementally better with the Treo.
    jimf freakin rulz MANNNN

YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH (in a chord of Howard Dean)

Then we're gonna get some MAD SEEG and some CRACK Ridocols Azz EDGE at the Speed of DETH. Gotta love Cingular
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    The results seem encouraging (mostly). It does seem that the MediaWorks plan (and the WAP.CINGULAR APN) gives you access to EDGE connection levels.
    (snip)
    Jim, this is awesome. Thanks for your time spent on this project. The data you posted is exactly what I wanted to see. While I had no doubt you could get EDGE with Meida Works, I was still unsure weather or not there would be some other factors limiting the data speed. And for all we know there still is (at higher speed that Treo should be able to attain.) In any case, this is definitive in itself to show that EDGE on Cingular with MediaWorks is still worthwhile.

When I get my T650 I'll be posting my results as I'm sure many will.