Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    It seems you can. I called their B2B enquiring about the 650 as a new customer not telling him I already had 4 "blue" lines. The rep asked if I'd prefer to go on "the Blue side" (as he put it) because they have better voice plans (which is true). You can't do it online or in an Orange store.
    Actually I think I am safe myself, but I possibly have been quoting wrong information regarding Media Works and EDGE. I thought I was safe given the position this person who gave me the info. I will call first thing Monday and see what is up. I don't know how to get in touch with an Blue b2b person.
    This may be an option for me. Have you been told what will happen to your "Blue" plan as they continue to consolidate their operations? I'd hate to go through this setup and then get pushed back into one of these existing Cingular options.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Again, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. I heard at least two different stories from Cingular folks on this (ranging from "no EDGE on MediaWorks" to "every plan gets EDGE" to "we don't offer EDGE yet"), but most of their technical details were sketchy or just wrong (e.g., at one point a phone rep told me the V551 does not have EDGE support). So I gave up on them, and I've been relying on technical details from their developer's site, and web searches. In several places, I found people that said they needed a Data Access plan to get EDGE rates, but I didn't believe this until I tried it myself.

Are you connecting via a laptop through an EDGE phone or an EDGE card? If so, can you tell which APN you're using?

It's possible that they've changed their account policies recently. But again, there may be more digging needed here to get a definitive answer.

I traveled from San Luis Obispo, CA to Los Angeles, CA today. Starting from about Ventura to LA I had EDGE connection the entire time on my Razr V3. I have the MEdiaworks plan. Switching between EDGE and GPRS is the same as in the old days when your phone would switch from an analog to digital signal. If the phone is edge capable you will receive it. If yours is not receiving EDGE and is EDGE capable, I would take the phone back and exchange it.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    The phone seems to be working fine. It's getting EDGE service, but this only seemed to happen after I converted from MediaWorks to a Data Access plan.

How did you possibly get an EDGE connection on a RAZR V3 when that phone doesn't support EDGE?
    Same number as an "Orange" guy. I called the number posted here by Haysw (I think) told the guy I wanted to buy 4 650's for a new startup company (not true) and after he took my name and number to call me when they come in HE SUGGESTED I take it on the "blue side" because they had better plans (which is true). He said he could sell either. I didn't even ask, he volunteered.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I don't know how to get in touch with an Blue b2b person.
    I'd love to prove you wrong on this, but this could be a MAJOR bummer. I spoke to my rep on Friday and I specifically asked, "There is no distinction between dataplan internet and Media Works internet as far as EDGE access goes, right? He/she told me no, if you have internet, you have access to EDGE. But what you are telling me sounds more logical, especially when I look at data plans on Cingular's site. No where does it mention EDGE on MEdia works page, but it is listed in the business section pages under the data plan.

This is going to suck big time if we can't do anything. They you are right, the ATT legacy people will be better off. I will try to get more info on Monday.
    I hope you can get some good news from your Cingular contact. I'm going to dig on this a bit more myself.

Another bit of information I dug up here and there on the web (HowardForums, among other places). Apparently the WAP.CINGULAR APN won't allow VPN connections (some kind of filtering on the firewall serving this APN). The ISP.CINGULAR and ISPDA.CINGULAR APNs do allow VPN connections. This alone rules out the MediaWorks plan for me (since it only seems to allow WAP.CINGULAR connections).

I found a few other folks (2 or 3) that posted on forums saying they noticed the same behavior - GPRS rates on MediaWorks, EDGE rates when they changed over to Data Access plans.
    They told me I can stay "blue" for as long as I need to. They may eventually run out of phones (although it seems new phones - like the 650 - are still available on both) and stop offering new contracts (you'd have to stay on month to month). However if they ever decide to force me off BLUE they sure as h3ll aren't going to FORCE me into paying for a new phone and a migration fee as they do now. It's going top be YEARS before that happens.

This may be an option for me. Have you been told what will happen to your "Blue" plan as they continue to consolidate their operations? I'd hate to go through this setup and then get pushed back into one of these existing Cingular options.
    Just a FYI. While the mMode plan on AT&T will let you "get away" with HTTP and POP3 and will let you access VPN's etc you will be CHARGED extra if you do VPN or VNC or anything "odd.". It seems it's port monitored and since they can't tell what device an HTTP or POP3 request is coming from they will charge you for anything else by the kb. mMode is STILL supposed to be just for web enabled phones and NOT PDA's.
    Apparently the WAP.CINGULAR APN won't allow VPN connections (some kind of filtering on the firewall serving this APN). The ISP.CINGULAR and ISPDA.CINGULAR APNs do allow VPN connections.
    You can still get AT&T $24.95 mMode plans when you buy phones online at various dealers. Once more, I think Cingular is treating AT&T customers as step children for the next 18 months till the merger is fully complete.

One thing that stopped me from jumping fences to Cingular is the phone itself. Their flagship phone, the SX66, does not support EDGE, and has Bluetooth 1.0
    MisterEd, said that you can get the PDA data plan unlimited for $39. I've yet seen this advertised, I'm not sure what this plan is even called. He seems to know his cell phones. I'm ok with the $39 unlimited plan VS the $79 unlimited plan. Does anyone know what plan he is talking about?
    FWI - Using a Nokia 6230b connected through wap.cingular in the Houston area I get transfer rates as high as 178kbps.
    Blue plans are going to melt away in time, but they will see out peoples contracts, I know. They won't pull the rug under anyone.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 01/23/2005 at 08:01 AM.
    It's called the PDA PLAN. $79 is another plan mainly for laptops that use the Sierra Wireless Card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    MisterEd, said that you can get the PDA data plan unlimited for $39. I've yet seen this advertised, I'm not sure what this plan is even called. He seems to know his cell phones. I'm ok with the $39 unlimited plan VS the $79 unlimited plan. Does anyone know what plan he is talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    I traveled from San Luis Obispo, CA to Los Angeles, CA today. Starting from about Ventura to LA I had EDGE connection the entire time on my Razr V3. I have the MEdiaworks plan. Switching between EDGE and GPRS is the same as in the old days when your phone would switch from an analog to digital signal. If the phone is edge capable you will receive it. If yours is not receiving EDGE and is EDGE capable, I would take the phone back and exchange it.....
    Would you look up you network settings please. If you can view them are you connected to:
    User name wap.cingulargps.com
    apn: wap.cingular

Or something different?
    Yes they (the plans) will .... sooner rather then later but there is no way they will be able to FORCE you to switch to Orange unless you can do it for ABSOLUTE ZERO COST. They will allow you to stay on month to month forever but as soon as you want to take advantage of any special deals you'll have to switch. If THEY want me to switch (not by my choice) they would have to do it for absolute no charge or loss of features. That won't be easy to do for 40,000,000 current ATT customers. (
    Blue plans are going to melt away in time, but they will see out peoples contracts, I know. They won't want the rug under anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond007
    I was told this is ficticious by my cingular rep, who may be wrong, he/she said the $39 plan is a measured one that includes 20 mb. But she said evertying is changing now so whenthe 650 releases there may be many new plans.
    How can that be??? The Razr is NOT an EDGE enabled phone. The ONLY EDGE ENABLED MOTOROLA phone is the V551. RAZR: http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hell...l_specs.shtml? V551:http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro.../0,,72,00.html That has been one of the major feature complaints about the RAZR since it was announced on Cingular. It's a well documented fact.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    Starting from about Ventura to LA I had EDGE connection the entire time on my Razr V3. I have the MEdiaworks plan. Switching between EDGE and GPRS is the same as in the old days when your phone would switch from an analog to digital signal. If the phone is edge capable you will receive it. If yours is not receiving EDGE and is EDGE capable, I would take the phone back and exchange it.....
    Last edited by MisterEd; 01/23/2005 at 08:24 AM. Reason: updated facts
    She's looking at the measured data plans. That plan does exist but I'm pretty sure it's part of the Laptop Connect options (the one that includes the $79.00 unlimited). Have her look at the data plan options for the SX66. The PDA plan has been around for a while. It's called the PDA data plan. Here is some discussion about it: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=35829 and here http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread/t-40089.html.

I was told this is ficticious by my cingular rep, who may be wrong, he/she said the $39 plan is a measured one that includes 20 mb. But she said evertying is changing now so whenthe 650 releases there may be many new plans.
    I found this thread on HowardForums that seems encouraging. Perhaps the Cingular folks in the midwest are playing games.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...aworks+%2Bedge
    Ok, I have a question for you more technological people. I have the mediaworks package on an insurance replacement Moto V180 (just needed a phone till I decided on which Smartphone/PDA I would purchase) and I can only access mobile web, if you will. If I were to purchase a Treo 600/650 or MPx220, will the phone itself enable "real" internet access with the mediaworks?? I am not worried about connection speeds just yet as I am still learning all the lingo. Or will I have to switch to a Data Plan for full web access?? Cause this is a real decision maker as far as even switching to one of these other Smartphone/PDAs. If I can't get full web access with one of them, to me its just waste of money having mediaworks. I mean I could just stick with this cheap V180 and buy a Tungsten E for carrying around my data. I thought I was set to purchase a 650 till I found out the price Cingular will be charging. So I changed my focus to a Treo 600 or MPx220 for cost restrictions.