Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    I'm using a V551 for this. With MediaWorks, I'm only allowed to connect at GPRS speeds. With a Data Connect plan, I can connect at GPRS or at EDGE speeds.

If there is a way to use a Media Works plan and connect to Cingular's ISP.CINGULAR APN, I'd love to hear it.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt ....... 500% WRONG. If your phone is edge compatible you get edge no matter what plan you get .... even if you get NO PLAN and just pay by the KB (if Cing has that - ATT does).
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Keep in mind, though, that Media Works does not include access to Cingular's EDGE network.
    What makes you think your only "allowed" GPRS speeds? It's possible you're just getting sucky throughput or your Moto is having problems. I have that problem on a Nokia 6620 locally. When I go to another location it works fine. From what I understand, edge can't be "turned off" on a user by user basis.
    I'm using a V551 for this. With MediaWorks, I'm only allowed to connect at GPRS speeds. With a Data Connect plan, I can connect at GPRS or at EDGE speeds.

If there is a way to use a Media Works plan and connect to Cingular's ISP.CINGULAR APN, I'd love to hear it.
    Keep in mind, though, that Media Works does not include access to Cingular's EDGE network. You get unlimited GPRS only. To get EDGE-level connections, you have to get a data plan, and they run from $19.95/mo for 5MB up to $79.95/mo for unlimited.

The Treo will work at either the GPRS or EGPRS/EDGE levels, it's just a question of what you want to do with your data service. If it's just email and occasional web browsing, then Media Works is a great deal. If you want to do heavier web browsing, connect to servers via your laptop, etc., etc., then you might want the EDGE-level "data plans" that Cingular offers.
    To reitterate: There is no GPRS and EDGE distiction, If you have an EDGE compatible phone you will get EDGE, if the phones does not support it, you get GPRS. This is straight from CIngular.
    This hasn't been my experience setting up Cingular service this week. With MediaWorks on my plan, I was not able to connect at EDGE rates. With a Data Access plan I was able to connect at EDGE rates. In both cases I was using an EDGE-enabled device.

Did you get your service through AT&T or Cingular? Which APN are you using to connect to the service?
    Where you using the SAME edge enabled device to test (just swapping SIMs)? If not, then it could be a handset issue.
    This hasn't been my experience setting up Cingular service this week. With MediaWorks on my plan, I was not able to connect at EDGE rates. With a Data Access plan I was able to connect at EDGE rates. In both cases I was using an EDGE-enabled device.

Did you get your service through AT&T or Cingular? Which APN are you using to connect to the service?
    It can be turned off at the APN level, though. I'm connecting from the same location at almost the same time (the time it took them to switch over my plan, roughly 20 minutes) using the same device. With MediaWorks, I can only connect to their WAP.CINGULAR APN, and I only get GPRS rates (between 20-40 kbps) - connections to Cingular's other APNs are refused. With a Data Access plan, I can connect to either WAP.CINGULAR or to ISP.CINGULAR or to ISPDA.CINGULAR. With WAP.CINGULAR I still get GPRS rates (even after upgrading to the Data Access plan), with the other APNs I get EDGE rates (about 80-90 kbps uncompressed, about 150-210 kbps compressed).
    Same handset (a V551), same SIM, just called and had my service plan switched to test out the two cases.
    It can be turned off at the APN level, though. I'm connecting from the same location at almost the same time (the time it took them to switch over my plan, roughly 20 minutes) using the same device. With MediaWorks, I can only connect to their WAP.CINGULAR APN, and I only get GPRS rates (between 20-40 kbps) - connections to Cingular's other APNs are refused. With a Data Access plan, I can connect to either WAP.CINGULAR or to ISP.CINGULAR or to ISPDA.CINGULAR. With WAP.CINGULAR I still get GPRS rates (even after upgrading to the Data Access plan), with the other APNs I get EDGE rates (about 80-90 kbps uncompressed, about 150-210 kbps compressed).
    Interesting, I am going by what I have been told by Cingular. Well this could be a big pain in the ****. I need to call Cingular again. hmmm
    Cingular Blue is definately not that way. I have their unlimited "mMode" ($25) and get Edge speeds with no problem (other then bad location). I ASSumed Cingular Orange was the same. Guess I'll stay Blue and not worry about it (I was going to migrate over to Orange).
    Same handset (a V551), same SIM, just called and had my service plan switched to test out the two cases.
    Again, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. I heard at least two different stories from Cingular folks on this (ranging from "no EDGE on MediaWorks" to "every plan gets EDGE" to "we don't offer EDGE yet"), but most of their technical details were sketchy or just wrong (e.g., at one point a phone rep told me the V551 does not have EDGE support). So I gave up on them, and I've been relying on technical details from their developer's site, and web searches. In several places, I found people that said they needed a Data Access plan to get EDGE rates, but I didn't believe this until I tried it myself.

Are you connecting via a laptop through an EDGE phone or an EDGE card? If so, can you tell which APN you're using?

It's possible that they've changed their account policies recently. But again, there may be more digging needed here to get a definitive answer.
    Is "Cingular Blue" a euphemism for "AT&T after the merger"? If so, can you still sign up for service through the AT&T side and get this $25 mMode plan?
    Is "Cingular Blue" a euphemism for "AT&T after the merger"? If so, can you still sign up for service through the AT&T side and get this $25 mMode plan?
    I just went to the site and it is only there for legacy customers, everything else is Cingular.
    I just did the same. You can still sign up for "AT&T Wireless" accounts through Amazon, but this mMode option doesn't show up, just the limited mMode plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I posted this on another thread so sorry to those who read it. I am very close to Cing:

I ADVISE THAT NO ONE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE $50 REBATE

The rebate will cost you a lot of money. If history repeats itself with the Siemens SX66. The rebate forces you to take a full data plan for the duration of your contract.

YOU DO NOT NEED THIS DATA PLAN.

Buy the phone at the contract price and DO NOT SIGN FOR $40 or $80 Data. Go home and call back (customer service not the store) and sign for MEdia Works package at $20. It is unlimited and comes with 1500 SMS and 200 MMS.
    i was wondering how we were going to get around it...i guess in the long run the $50 rebate will be worthless if we sign on a higher data plan. never thought about it like that. i guess i will buy with out rebate then
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Again, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. I heard at least two different stories from Cingular folks on this (ranging from "no EDGE on MediaWorks" to "every plan gets EDGE" to "we don't offer EDGE yet"), but most of their technical details were sketchy or just wrong (e.g., at one point a phone rep told me the V551 does not have EDGE support). So I gave up on them, and I've been relying on technical details from their developer's site, and web searches. In several places, I found people that said they needed a Data Access plan to get EDGE rates, but I didn't believe this until I tried it myself.

Are you connecting via a laptop through an EDGE phone or an EDGE card? If so, can you tell which APN you're using?

It's possible that they've changed their account policies recently. But again, there may be more digging needed here to get a definitive answer.
    I'd love to prove you wrong on this, but this could be a MAJOR bummer. I spoke to my rep on Friday and I specifically asked, "There is no distinction between dataplan internet and Media Works internet as far as EDGE access goes, right? He/she told me no, if you have internet, you have access to EDGE. But what you are telling me sounds more logical, especially when I look at data plans on Cingular's site. No where does it mention EDGE on MEdia works page, but it is listed in the business section pages under the data plan.

This is going to suck big time if we can't do anything. They you are right, the ATT legacy people will be better off. I will try to get more info on Monday.
    It seems you can. I called their B2B enquiring about the 650 as a new customer not telling him I already had 4 "blue" lines. The rep asked if I'd prefer to go on "the Blue side" (as he put it) because they have better voice plans (which is true). You can't do it online or in an Orange store.
    Was he a former ATT rep who had his job recently "migrated" ? Besides, even good reps don't know much.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I'd love to prove you wrong on this, but this could be a MAJOR bummer. I spoke to my rep on Friday and I specifically asked, "There is no distinction between dataplan internet and Media Works internet as far as EDGE access goes, right? He/she told me no, if you have internet, you have access to EDGE. But what you are telling me sounds more logical, especially when I look at data plans on Cingular's site. No where does it mention EDGE on MEdia works page, but it is listed in the business section pages under the data plan.

This is going to suck big time if we can't do anything. They you are right, the ATT legacy people will be better off. I will try to get more info on Monday.
    Once you have an ATT account you can add mMode online from the ATT website.
    I just did the same. You can still sign up for "AT&T Wireless" accounts through Amazon, but this mMode option doesn't show up, just the limited mMode plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Was he a former ATT rep who had his job recently "migrated" ? Besides, even good reps don't know much.
    No a long time Orange rep, in a high level of CS.
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast