1.    #1  
    For starters I am currently a T-Mobile customer in NE Ohio (Cleveland area) and have been somewhat less than thrilled with the coverage and the number of dropped calls. Therefore, I am looking into switching to the new Cingular.

But that brings up allot of questions....

First, how do I determine if my phone is "locked" and what does this really mean? More importantly, how do I get it unlocked?

Second, does anyone have experience with Cingular/At&T in this area. I certainly don't want to go from bad to worse.

Thanks for anything you can all help me with.

Skigs
    Go to Cingular store, put Cingular Sim card in it. If it will let you dial out, it is unlocked. You didn't state if you have a Treo or not. With a T-mobile phone I have I called T-mobile and they gave me key combos to unlock it. With Treo it may be different but I would be surprised if it was a T-Mobile Treo if it was locked.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    T-Mobile will unlock their own Treos if you have been under contract for three months. I have unlocked several phones from them, including a Treo.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Over at mytreo.net, lots of info on unlocking Treos.