1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have an existing GSM/TDMA phone with ATT plan. Can I buy a Treo 650 w/o a plan and use my SIM card with it? I don't plan on using the old phone if I can do that.

Since the 650 doesn't support TDMA, I've heard that I have to find a way to disable TDMA on my plan, otherwise I could have problems with the answering machine system. Is this so? If yes, how do I disable TDMA on my plan?

In sum, can I do it and how would I go about it?

Thanks.
    I don't understand the TDMA issue--Cingular/ATTWs are phasing out TDMA and will no longer provision TDMA (I just tried to do this with a GAIT phone and they would not let me). Just pop in your SIM and go. The voicemail shoukd work fine.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    The SIM card I am using in my T600 now came from my previous phone, a Nokia 6340i, which has AMPS, TDMA, and GSM on it. The card works fine, you don't have to "turn off" TDMA since the Treo only talks GSM (assuming this is the version you bought). Cingular has some new GSM plans out now that are better than the old TDMA plans (including those with ATT) so you probably will save money by switching to all GSM plan.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
  4.    #4  
    This all sounds very encouraging.

I can't change plans because it's my company's plan and I have no control over it.

ATT might want to phase out TDMA, but they still have it. I can turn my current phone (Siemens S46) to TDMA only and it will work.

What someone told me about the answering machine problem is that, once the SIM in on the TREO, when I call comes through and doesn't get answered, it might never make its way to the answering machine. For the caller it will sounds as if no one answers. And this has to do with the fact that TDMA is turned on on my account. According to my source, this might or might not happen, or might happen sporadically, I'm not sure. The one way to ensure this wouldn't happen would be to turn off the TDMA mode on my account. So, no one has heard of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusbabe
    This all sounds very encouraging.

I can't change plans because it's my company's plan and I have no control over it.

ATT might want to phase out TDMA, but they still have it. I can turn my current phone (Siemens S46) to TDMA only and it will work.

What someone told me about the answering machine problem is that, once the SIM in on the TREO, when I call comes through and doesn't get answered, it might never make its way to the answering machine. For the caller it will sounds as if no one answers. And this has to do with the fact that TDMA is turned on on my account. According to my source, this might or might not happen, or might happen sporadically, I'm not sure. The one way to ensure this wouldn't happen would be to turn off the TDMA mode on my account. So, no one has heard of this?
    Cingular does have long term plans to drop it, but they are not touching it yet. I wonder if you could get a Cingular Sim and transfer the number that way. The cingular sim would not attempt the TMDA.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusbabe
    I can't see what having TDMA "turned on" on your account would have to do with it. When a call is made to your cellphone it is routed through the cell providers network (ATT) until it "sees" your phone (T600). Since the T600 is GSM only, no part of ATT TDMA network is involved here, your phone is not present on a TDMA frequency. The fact that your cellphone rings means that the call connected through the GSM ATT network, no TDMA. So, I guess I just can't see how having TDMA "turned on" in your account would have any bearing on the voicemail problem.

Just one man's opinion!!
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I've got an S46. I pulled the SIM out and put it into my Treo. No answering machine problem at all. The only way you can have an issue is if you leave your S46 turned on. Then it will ring. But even then, if no one answers it will roll over to voice mail.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!