Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So ... I'm looking at the Cingular Data Plans ..

All I see is the $79 a month one. No reference to the $20 Mediaworks one on the Cingular Site.

I'm assuming this will work with a 600 but not a Sierra Wireless PC card?

What's the deal with EDGE now that it looks like the ATT network has been integrated.

It's all a bit confusing!
    Select an Individual Plan, such as nationwide 600 minutes with rollover.
    Click on the plan name itself, as is to look at it's features. At the bottom of the page, to the right, see Optional Features... Media Works. Click on it and you'll get a popup window:

http://onlinestoreb.cingular.com/htm...ture_works.htm

Ta Da!!
    MEdia Works works great--and in my features list on my Cingular account it does list EDGE with no additional $$.
    Can anyone tell me what functionality MediaWorks allows? I know of MMS, SMS, Internet, but will it allow me to use such apps as Directory Assistant, AvantGo, POP3 retrieval, VPN, etc. Any feedback as to what functionality (or ports) is limited by with the MediaWorks data plan would be appreciated. VPN would be great, but I am not holding my breath.
    Thanks
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    And do they allow streaming audio over MEdia Works (as in pTunes shoutcast)?
    Quote Originally Posted by phil94028
    So ... I'm looking at the Cingular Data Plans ..

All I see is the $79 a month one. No reference to the $20 Mediaworks one on the Cingular Site.

I'm assuming this will work with a 600 but not a Sierra Wireless PC card?

What's the deal with EDGE now that it looks like the ATT network has been integrated.

It's all a bit confusing!
    I have been using the Treo 600 on cingular since they first made it available. At first I needed to sign up for the $79 all-you-can-eat plan since that was all that was available, but this plan was originally inteded for Blackberry support (includes Mobitext support) ... however, three months ago they introduced a cheaper $39 plan and let me switch free-of-charge, and even back-dated by plan to June and refunded me the difference! The $39 plan includes unlimited data usage (including SMS, MMS). Even better, last month they introduced a $19/mo plan that includes unlimited wireless internet access (which is what my company's email program uses to send/receive corp email) and 1000 SMS/MMS per month. I switched to this one right away, but they didn't let me back-date the new plan to june. OH well ...

BOTTOM LINE - I am using my Treo 600 with Cingular and get UNLIMITED wireless internet and email for only an additional $19/mo above my regular voice plan.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Why can I not add the Media Works unlimited plan for 19.99 when the Treo 600 is the device on cingular.com? I can only add the Media Works plan if I am purchasing a phone other than the Treo 600. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    So what is the difference between mediaworks and unlimited data ... must be significant if the difference is $60 a month!!

I'm kind of assuming that the SIM is somehow locked so you can't use it in a laptop card?

Can you still use a laptop plugged into the Treo on the mediaworks plan?
    JoeSam--just Call Cingular and tell them that you have one of the phones on their 'official' list for the MEdia Works plan. They will just add the $19.95 plan. They cannot tell what device your SIM is plugged into.

phil--Unlimited data is more $$. MEdia Works offers unlimited data plus a bucket of SMS and MMS--much better deal. Yes, you can use your Treo as a tethered modem with MEdia Works and Cingular. There are some oddities in how to set up the modem settings. Check around at the web site of the app you choose (PDAnet or WirelessModem) to make the laptop connection.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Got it .. I guess they must know but don't care. The IMEI tells them the device I think.
    I'm assuming they lock out Sierra Wireless cards etc that way.

Now I just nedd a GSM 650 !!!!!

I did try a T-Mobile Blackberry SIM in my laptop wireless card and that wouldn't work.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    JoeSam--just Call Cingular and tell them that you have one of the phones on their 'official' list for the MEdia Works plan. They will just add the $19.95 plan. They cannot tell what device your SIM is plugged into.

phil--Unlimited data is more $$. MEdia Works offers unlimited data plus a bucket of SMS and MMS--much better deal. Yes, you can use your Treo as a tethered modem with MEdia Works and Cingular. There are some oddities in how to set up the modem settings. Check around at the web site of the app you choose (PDAnet or WirelessModem) to make the laptop connection.

Thanks! FYI, I went to a Cingular retail store in Exton, PA, and the clerk told me that the Treo 600 does not qualify normally for the unlimited Media plan @ 19.99 because it is a "heavy data usage" phone, "like the blackberry". She said that after 12/31/04, the unlimited Media plan for the Treo 600 will be priced at $44.99. Ouch!
    JoeSam--why did you go to the store? The less Cingular knows, the better. Just call them up and ask to add a MEdia plan like MEdia Works. If they ask about your phone, tell them you have one of the 'approved' models (yes, you need to hit their website and do a bit of homeowrk to sound like you have the phone in your hand).
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    Thanks! FYI, I went to a Cingular retail store in Exton, PA, and the clerk told me that the Treo 600 does not qualify normally for the unlimited Media plan @ 19.99 because it is a "heavy data usage" phone, "like the blackberry". She said that after 12/31/04, the unlimited Media plan for the Treo 600 will be priced at $44.99. Ouch!
    I called Cingular a couple of months ago and changed over to the MediaWorks plan. I didn't even have to mention this link that has been extended month after month:

http://web.palmone.com/promos/treo60...ted_data.jhtml

They will do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Can anyone tell me what functionality MediaWorks allows? I know of MMS, SMS, Internet, but will it allow me to use such apps as Directory Assistant, AvantGo, POP3 retrieval, VPN, etc. Any feedback as to what functionality (or ports) is limited by with the MediaWorks data plan would be appreciated. VPN would be great, but I am not holding my breath.
    Thanks
    yup
    So what is Cingular Edge and can I get i?
    Quote Originally Posted by oepstei
    yup
    No offense, but "yup" what? Does it allow all the things I mentioned including VPN?
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  17. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oepstei
    So what is Cingular Edge and can I get i?
    If you have a data plan, EDGE coverage in your area and an EDGE enabled device (like the Treo 650) then you will get it.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    OK, so I am totaly new to GSM. I have Sprint, but I want to switch to Cingular for mobile-to-mobile reasons. My company uses AT&T, and now that Cingular owns them, I can talk unlimited with most of the people at work.

Can I buy a phone for free w/ contract from Cingular, activate it with the MEdia works package for 19.99 and swap the SIM from it to an Unlocked GSM Treo 600 from time to time? While doing this, will I have all of the features I normally have on my free flip phone, unlimited MEdia works included? If so, this would be perfect for my needs.
    Yes, the phone account is "attached" to the SIM card when using GSM, so if you pop it into another GSM device, the account features carry over. Assuming the two devices support GPRS (the protocol underlying the MediaWorks data service offered by Cingular/AT&T), you should be all set.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    You guys are really pretty sure that Cingular aren't going to block MediaWorks by device type?

I'm assuming right now that if the networks sees an IMEI from a Sierra Wireless PC card with a MediaWorks sim it won't work? Or will it?

It seems like when we finally get 650s with Edge they are going to have the potential to suck up just as much data as a laptop so it would be a no brainer for Cingular to restict it and force you to the expensive data plan.

I guss the competitive landscape is a bit wierd right now with TMo and Sprint sub $20 and VZ and Cingular up at $80 for full on data plans.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast