1.    #1  
    pre merger I always lost my Cingular cell and data connection in my local gym. for some reason I think Cingular's signal is extremely weak indoors in the Marina section of SF. this was annoying because i like to work out while streaming Shoutcast, and I was unable to do this consistently.

tonight i'm at the gym and lo and behold my phone, instead of reading no signal like it usually does, is registering a strong AT&T signal. i proceeded to stream Shoutcast without any problems. fantastic!

i was also having problems in my apartment pre merger with sending and receiving text messages and even making and receiving calls. i'm now able to manually select AT&T from my apartment, and it appears so far that it is a much stronger signal than Cingular's.

anyway, this is just one guy's story. but i wanted to share because i had been hearing horror projections about problems for Cingular/AT&T customers in Cali post merger.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I too have experienced a better overall signal since the merger. I have Cingular and now see an increased signal in areas where I had weak signal. I do have a question though, how are you able to select the AT&T rather than Cingular. I don't see a place to manually select the carrier, please clue me in to that...TIA.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    As mentioned on other posts. In The OC, So Cal we had great Cingular coverage before with few trouble spots, mostly in planned residential cities (Irvine) that don't allow a lot of towers. But, wow, 4 bars almost everywhere, still one drives me crazy is coming down the hill on Newport Coast Road toward the Ocean, near the New Marriott (My drive home everday). Still dead. But over all, very strong bars, and data speeds improved immensely. Also, Logo switches from ATT/Cingular often, automatically. In Laguna, we can't get TV reception via air waves but I have 4 bars Cingular in my house.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    I too have experienced a better overall signal since the merger. I have Cingular and now see an increased signal in areas where I had weak signal. I do have a question though, how are you able to select the AT&T rather than Cingular. I don't see a place to manually select the carrier, please clue me in to that...TIA.
    In the phone screen, go to MENU/OPTIONS/SELECT NETWORK

A list of available networks will then pop up.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    When I first got my Treo the "select network" option was available. As soon as I flashed the Cingular Update that option went away. I have did the unlock patch and can use other carriers SIM card and it works. Still don't have the Select Network....wondering how you still manage to have that and is there some way and I can get it back?
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Hey ghileman, quick question and a bit off-topic. But I was wondering at what bit rate you are able to receive Shoutcast streams? I have tried a few and most of the ones I've tried buffer quite a bit or lose connection, any suggestions?
  7.    #7  
    When I first got my Treo the "select network" option was available. As soon as I flashed the Cingular Update that option went away. I have did the unlock patch and can use other carriers SIM card and it works. Still don't have the Select Network....wondering how you still manage to have that and is there some way and I can get it back?
    that's weird. i've never not had the option to Select Network. not sure what to tell you.
    Off to iPhone land...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    Hey ghileman, quick question and a bit off-topic. But I was wondering at what bit rate you are able to receive Shoutcast streams? I have tried a few and most of the ones I've tried buffer quite a bit or lose connection, any suggestions?
    i stream w/o problem Shoutcast stations broadcasting at 32 kbps. i find that there is a significant quality difference between 24 and 32. this is one of the reasons I am so excited for EDGE and the ability to stream 128 kbps (CD quality).
    Off to iPhone land...
    I updated and mine is still unlocked, Cingular.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Interesting -- when I go to select network I only see AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm in Washington, DC and am still using AT&T (such as it is) with an unlocked Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I updated and mine is still unlocked, Cingular.
    My phone is unlocked (it works with TMO sim as well as CNG) but the select networks does not appear like it did when I first got the phone.
    My phone is unlocked (it works with TMO sim as well as CNG) but the select networks does not appear like it did when I first got the phone.
    it may have to do with your sim card, did you change?
    Mine gives me the option of:
    Available Networks:
    Cingular and ATT

Search Bands:
    Auto
    900/1800
    850/1900
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    it may have to do with your sim card, did you change?
    Mine gives me the option of:
    Available Networks:
    Cingular and ATT

Search Bands:
    Auto
    900/1800
    850/1900
    The sim card I have is the same one that came out of my previous phone, a Nokia 6140i (GAIT) phone. Is there a different kind of sim card for use in a Treo? The one I have works now and it had my contacts that I stored in my old phone so it was handy to just move them over. But, if there is something about the sim from providing me a carrier selection I will see about exchanging it with Cingular.

My sim card is branded Cingular and has the following on it:
    32K GT SLB

TIA
    Well My sim card is old, prior to owning a Treo. It may be that they allowed access to this in older cards and that in newer cards it is restricted. You may need a new sim, but I doubt that it will give you access if this many people on the board don't have it either. In anycase it probably sets you to automatic which should be the best choice. I am not sure.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked 600 (ROW firmware). When I signed up with Cingular I was given the new 64K SIM card, since the "Availible Networks" menu item has dissapeared. Strange stuff...
    So are you saying with your new 64 K SIM you get the network selection option again?
    ek